Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dpip75

Harvested yeast question

I harvested some of the yeast cake from my Oktoberfest (ale style) using wyeast American Ale yeast. Can I use it for something other than a clone of the Oktoberfest?

Yes!

You can use it for almost any ale except maybe the belgians and wheats. It would work great in a pale, stout, amber, or porter.

It is a great all around yeast!

Whale

Thanks Brother whale! I have another question. How much do I use? When I get ready to use the yeast should I be careful with the jar and pour gently to not get the trub? Someone had mention swirling the jar? :unsure:

Couple questions-

Do you plan on using it right away, like in the next day or two?

Second, Has it settled out into layers in the jar? If so, what color are they and how many layers?

Lastly, how much do you have?

Take a picture of what you have if you can.

Brother Whale 2 wrote:

Couple questions-

Do you plan on using it right away, like in the next day or two?

Second, Has it settled out into layers in the jar? If so, what color are they and how many layers?

Lastly, how much do you have?

Take a picture of what you have if you can.

I plan to use it in the next week or two. It has settled into layers. The colors are from the bottom, Tan with brown specks to a greenish tan into a yeasty cream color. There is about one centimeter of the top layer and the sed. is almost 4 oz. here is a link to picture. p>

That light tan layer is your yeast.
Somehow the trick is to get the yeast out and leave as much of the trub behind as you can.
Got a pipette?

I am going to collect the whole yeast cake next time. I have two kegs with a Wyeast American Ale II that I am going to harvest in the next couple of days. I am wondering if I have enough to do a 4.8 gallon batch.

Papazian recommends 4 to 8 oz of yeast slurry for a 5 gal batch.

Thanks Darkly. I swirled the jar last night and this morning there was a thicker layer of yeast.p>

Is that 4 oz weight or volume? I might only have enough for a 2.4 gal. batch if it is vol. I re-swirled the jar 2 hrs ago because I didn't get all the yeast suspended and it was trapped on the bottom. I have a thicker layer of yeast already. I might get enough for a 4.8 gal. batch. Today I am bottling and I will harvest the whole cake.

4-8 ounces refers to a slurry, so there is some liquid in that figure. It looks like you should be good with what you have. If you don't feel comfortable go ahead and add what you get after bottling.

Whale

Thanks Brother Whale. I just harvested the entire yeast cake in two jars. It is Wyeast American ale II. I am excited about this new venture. I guess I need to get some test tubes. :)

I use little jelly jars. about an inch in the bottom of the jar works great on my 2-3 gallon batches. I just put a sticky label on the top to ID the strain. Its fun building up a little collection.

Good Luck!

Whale

+1 Brotherwhale.. You got me started on the whole yeast ranching/propogating thing and its pretty fun, AND I always have a ready supply of brewing yeast on hand in the fridge... ready for the call to party.

That is cool.

I am glad I got you interested. It is not as hard as people think and its best to just jump in and try.

Have you harvested any from a favorite craft brew? or are you ranching a favorite commercial strain?

I have 2 craft brews and I just bought a couple more White Labs, a wheat and a german lager to add to my farm. When you get a lifetime supply $7 does not seem that expensive.

This is what I have harvested. The two jars with blue tops is what I harvested out of one keg. :)

Yeast_harvest.jpg

Very Nice!! Right now, I've been propogating small containers of Nottingham Ale yeast... I like the flavor profile when the temps are right as its really pretty neutral. I have like 3 different strains of yeast coming in my next MrBeer Club order, and cant wait to do some ranching/propogating with those bad boys. I havent had a chance to get my hands on some craft brew strains YET.. but I will for sure.. mwhuahahhaa