Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bigd

Black IPA

Well, I was going to brew another batch of Lawnmower Ale, but decided I want to put together a big ass beer that'll be ready for August since my birthday is August 5th and my boy will be born in late August.

So, I was inspired to make a Black IPA when I had Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous Ale on tap. Holy sh#t is that a beer that is outta this planet good!

So, I figured I have some ingredients that I was going to use in the Lawnmower Ale that could be used in this beer. I went to the LHBS and got some more malt, grains, hops and yeast.

I am just about to put together the recipe right now. Hops that I have are... Columbus, Simcoe, and Centennial. Using .5 lb Black Patent to get the pitch black color without all the roasted flavor. Also mixing the leftover Crystal 20L with the Black Patent to add a little sweetness, body, and head retention.

I'll post the recipe shortly. Cheers!

be careful with that black patent to much of it can add astringency to the beer. Things I found on the internet say to keep it at 10% or less of your malt.

I had a similar thought back in February.

Called it Stone Soup IDA. You can follow the link and check out the actual recipe. If you do a search for "Stone Soup" on this forum, I think I posted it here too.

Basically, it is an Imperial IPA recipe with a bit of Black Patent and a bit of Chocolate malt. It really turned out well. It is not as completely BLACK as some of my recipes, but it is pretty dark.

Anyway, good luck with your Black IPA. I think it is a great style to drink.

:stout:

BTW ... just my opinion, but if you are doing a real hoppy beer like an IPA, you are better off drinking it young-ish ... you might want to hold off brewing it if you want to drink most of it in August.

Thanks for the tips guys.

As for drinking them young, I know all about that since I'm a crazy hophead :laugh:

My Fat Stinky Cat Imperial IPA tasted it's best after 3 months though. The hoppiness stayed. I kept it in the fridge for a month and a half after warm conditioning it a month and a half. Was awesome.

This one is gonna be even HOPPIER! Just finished the recipe. Just making a couple tweaks here and there. Will post ASAP for some comments on it.

It's over 100 IBUs and uses some great high alpa acid hops. Should be a killer.

BTW, if you like Black IPAs then you HAVE to try Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. It's amazing.

*Drum Roll*

Here it is...My Black IPA recipe that is for the serious hophead. I'm drooling over this one.

Black IPA
Specialty Beer

Type: Extract
Date: 5/11/2010
Batch Size: 2.13 gal
Brewer: Doug Heavner
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Briess Golden Light DME (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.00 %
1.75 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 29.17 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 46.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (40 min) Hops 35.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (25 min) Hops 19.7 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (7 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.100 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.85 %
Bitterness: 115.3 IBU
Est Color: 42.4 SRM

Still might make a couple tweaks to it. It took me a little bit to figure out the hop schedule. I think it's gonna be good though. I really want this one to have a killer aroma and flavor and a bitterness that stays in the back of your throat an hour after you stop drinking it haha. I think it'll be a perfect birthday brew and a great beer to celebrate the birth of my boy this August.

I think the dry hops will add that extra "UMMPH" to the aroma too. Simcoe have a killer nose to them as well as the Centennial and Columbus.

Looks awesome I had the Black magic IPA from the Flossmoor brewing Station and it was great! Best IPA I have had from there. I was thinking about trying a black IPA can't wait to see how this turns out!

I was wondering if just using some crystal 120 with a bit of black Black Patent would give the color with out a roast flavor?

That would probably be fine. The Crystal 120L is a nice grain. I used it in my Imperial IPA and it was good stuff. Nice deep ruby amber color. Nice sweetness. I think .5 lb of the Crystal 120L and .25 lb of the Black Patent would give you a very dark almost black color without a roasty flavor. Bump the black patent to .5 lb and you would probably have a slightly roasted malt flavor.

I think (don't know for sure though) my recipe will achieve my goal which is an intensly hoppy, light roasted malt, mildly sweet, full bodied Black IPA.

I don't want it to be roasty or chocolately so I think my malt bill should be right on. Mostly all light and extra light malt. The .75 lb Crystal 20L is tossed in cuz I had it leftover and think it'll add nicer head retention, lacing, body, and a little extra sweetness to back up that huge hop bite.

Very excited to brew this one up.

Interested to see how this turns out, D. So many options... and no empty fermenters... sigh...

I'm dying to brew this beer haha. I keep thinking of it constantly. Monday can't come fast enough!

I did some more reading on the Black Patent and I did see that you shouldn't use more than 10% of the malt bill with it. Mine is just right at under 9% and i should achieve the pitch black color without an overly roasty flavor and the Crystal 20L should impart a slight sweetness to it as well as better head retention and lacing.

Other than being excited about my boy's birth in August, this is all I've been thinking of lol.

As I lay hear beat tired and ready for bed, I FINALLY finished tweaking my recipe. I'm very excited about this one. My biggest beer yet. SUPER hoppy and very high gravity. Pushing 10% ABV (depending on my actual results) this one should be great for special occasions such as my birthday and my first kid being born this summer!

As for this insane hop schedule, I just play around with boil times and types of hops I really like. I like doing alot hop additions especially with different types of hops because I think the different hops and boil times add so much to the complexity of the hoppy goodness. Hope to see some comments on this one. Feel free to call me a mad man when you see the crazy hopbomb worthy of the title "Imperial Black IPA". Making recipes is half the fun of brewing!

Imperial Black IPA
Specialty Beer

Type: Extract
Date: 5/17/2010
Batch Size: 2.13 gal
Brewer: Doug Heavner
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Briess Golden Light DME (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.00 %
1.75 lb Briess Pilsen Light DME (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 29.17 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 46.8 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (40 min) Hops 35.8 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (20 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (10 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.100 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.85 %
Bitterness: 129.0 IBU
Est Color: 42.4 SRM

Notes

Heat 1 gallon of water to 155-170 degrees.
Add .75 lb Crystal 20L and .5 lb Black Patent and steep for 30 minutes. Discard grains after steeped.
Add 2 gallons of water.
Mix in 3 lb Briess Golden Light and 1.75 lb Pilsen Light DME.
Bring wort to boil. Watch for hot break.
After hot break, add .5 oz Columbus hops for 60 minutes.
At 40 minutes, add .5 oz Simcoe hops.
At 20 minutes, add .25 oz Columbus hops.
At 15 minutes, add .5 oz Centennial hops.
At 10 minutes, add .5 oz Simcoe hops.
At 5 minutes, add .25 oz Centennial hops.
Cool in ice bath to 66-70 degrees.
Pour wort into fermenter and take OG reading and record it.
Aerate wort then pitch yeast. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and aerate wort again.
Add remaining hops to fermenter after primary fermentation. (1 oz Simcoe, .25 oz Centennial, .25 oz Columbus for 7 days dry hop)

Got my grains steeping as I type this. Holy cow is 1.25 lbs total of specialty grains alot haha. Smells very nice. Slightly sweet with a pinch of black coffee. Man I can already imagine how those hops are gonna add to it! I think this will come out pitch black as my calculations have stated.

This hop schedule is insane. The hops I'm using all have similar characteristics but all have a little something different to bring to the table. I had fun weighing them all out to the gram and smelling all of their lovely aromas. I was kind pissed that the ounce of Simcoe was a bit short of 28 grams. Only around 25 WTF? Oh well, the ounce of Centennial was over by 4 grams so I guess it's all good. My IBU's might be a little different but I'm sure it won't be noticeable. If anything, the extra Centennial will just add more citrusy flavor and aroma to it since the Simcoe is mainly with the Columbus for bittering and a little flavor. I'm using 1 oz Simcoe, .25 oz Centennial, and .25 Columbus for dry hopping. This brew is gonna have a killer nose to it!

Well, My grains are almost done steeping. Almost time to drip out the grain bag and move on to mixing in the 4.75 lb of DME and bringing this sucker to a 60 minute boil! Cheers!

Wow.

Makes me thirsty just looking at it.

I am curious to know how your US05 does attenuating this. I would have probably added some simple sugars in place of some of the extract, but that is mostly because I am a wimp who has a history of getting ok, but not great attenuation on high OG beers (and I've never done anything close to this big).

Did you calculate how much this beer cost you? It is almost worth buying hops by the pound for this beer. :laugh:

I think I need to do another hoppy beer soon. All that I have in the pipeline is pretty balanced or toward the malty side.

Of course, compared to this one, none of my beers are all-that-hoppy.

:cheers: :party:

By the way ... bigd ... I am pretty sure when you are talking about this many hops, the 3 grams plus or minus will not be noticeable.

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments guys! It's boiling away right now!

I'm so excited about this beer. As for the yeast and this high gravity, I have no worries. My 8.3% ABV IIPA fermented like no other and that was when I pitched dry! I rehydrate the yeast and let it sit for a little while before I pitch and it seems to really get to it by the next day and finishes fast and clean.

The smell of this wort before adding the first hop addition was amazing! Smelled like fresh baked oatmeal cookies and a very light black coffee aroma. Then when I pitched the first hops (.5 oz Columbus) it smelled sooooo good. Already smells complex and it's not even close to done yet lol.

Will keep ya posted.

Sounds GREAT bigd! I love brew day! I am wanting to brew something close to founders Centennial IPA. I can't find any clones. Have you?

No, I haven't seen any clones for it. But, I never really looked for a clone for it either.

I love the Centennial IPA from Founders. It's a great beer!

I have SUPER high hopes for this beer. It's gonna be great to crack one of these special brews when I'm celebrating my son's birth in August!

I was inspired to make this after drinking Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. It's awesome! My recipe was just put together with leftovers and I just went crazy with ingredients that sounded good to me :laugh:

The beer is sitting in the ice bath just about ready to transfer into the MB keg. It's around 82 degrees right now. Only took about 20 mins to get it there not bad!

While I was chilling the wort down, I stole about a half ounce of the wort and chilled it in the freezer. Then, I mixed it into my rehydrated US-05 to give it a little jump start to help build up the yeast army for this beast!

Apparently these yeasties are hungry and LOVE this beer. After only about 20 minutes mixed into the little half a shot glass of wort, it has a thin creamy white layer on top of the tan yeast cream. Smells awesome.

Gonna transfer the wort to the keg now. I didn't use any Irish Moss for this figuring clarity isn't a factor since this is a black beer haha. I'm not even gonna bother pouring the wort through a strainer for the hop gunk either. I'll just be careful not to plop all that hop gunk in the keg.

I'll be posting the OG in a little while. Cheers!

I did that once with leftovers that I carefully blended and it may be the best beer to date. It is a brown ale that has a strong hoppy nose of Citra and Simcoe. I dry hopped with the simcoe. I think you would love it. Especially if you love burpin' them hops! :laugh:

How is the wife durin? More important, how are you durin? Hang in there brother, when your son is born all the BS with the pregnancy is well worth it. Heck I would do it again..... maybe. :laugh:

I am seriously about to start dancing hahahaha :laugh:

This brew day went PERFECT!!!

First, I transferred the wort to the keg via pouring it from the brew pot directly into the keg with a sanitized plastic funnel to catch the pour of the wort.

I left the last tiny bit of wort and hop gunk at the bottom of the brew pot.

I checked to see where the wort went up to on the keg and BOOYA! Nailed it right on or maybe a hair over the 8.5 quart mark! YEEEAH! No top off water needed so those hops are in every bit of that wort.

Here comes the best part that made me feel SO happy...

I NAILED the OG DEAD on! 1.100 on the money! I couldn't believe it. That's the first time I've ever hit the OG spot on. And being this beer has 6 pounds of malt and specialty grains, I coulda swore I would been up or down a little because weighing all that out was a bitch! I can't believe I nailed it haha sorry I'm still in shock. This beer is gonna be HUGE! I tasted the hydro sample since I pitched it out and it was very full bodied. Creamy as hell. Super sweet and had a very balanced bitterness cuz the sugars aren't fermented out yet. I can't wait to taste this hop bomb in a few months! Looks like an Imperial Stout but smells like a very nice Imperial IPA wort.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. This brew day kicked ass!

Wife's doing great man thanks for askin'. Haven't had any problems really (yet anyways hehe). I'm doing alot of brewing now to build up a decent pipeline cuz the brewing will be haulted for a while once the boy is born.

So, this is the first time I did a mini starter for the yeast. I think I will do this practice EVERY time I brew! Once I removed the wort from the heat and put it in the ice bath, I stole a little half ounce sample of it and chilled it down immediately in the freezer while the wort was chilling down. I poured the little wort sample into my rehydrated US-05 and covered it with Saran wrap and let it sit at room temp for about 30 mins or so. The yeast went NUTS! It formed a huge creamy foam cap and it looked like risen bread! I took a sanitized spoon to it and it looked like yeast mousse lol. I mixed it up again and it was a nice thick creamy slurry. Got those yeasties all worked up with a teaser of it's feast. Then, I pitched it into the wort at about 66 degrees and 30 minutes later, they're already feasting and have a krausen building up. This is gonna be a fun process I can tell already :lol:

Holy moly the yeast is going insane. I checked the keg yesterday and the whole room smelled like hops and the pleasant smell of fermenting wort. Huge aroma.

So I noticed the keg temp jumped from 68-70 all the way to 72-74 in less than a day. I was kind of in a panic but kept my cool. I wet a towel with cold water and wrapped the keg with it and put a fan on it overnight. It brought it down to 70-72. The foam at high krausen yesterday was insanely big. Like almost 3 solid inches of dense creamy foam. I was worried it might foam out the top but it stayed just under the lid. It looked like a hurricane inside the keg.

This beer is gonna be off the hook. I hope the slight rise in temp don't hurt it much if any. I think that that much malt and hops, any off flavors should be undetectable. I want to get some sort of temp control in there cuz the weather is getting warmer. Seems like the winter is the prime time for me to brew cuz my house stays 70+ and in the winter, the cold air lends a hand with chilling the room a little bit. My fermenting area is upstairs and tends to get a little warmer than downstairs which works great in the winter.

So, I stopped by the LHBS to pick up an ounce of Simcoe that I need for my dry hops and I figured well, I had a $5 bill on me so just gimme a coupe ounces of Simcoe lol.

So, the dry hops got bumped up a bit haha.

2 oz Simcoe
.25 oz Centennial
.25 oz Columbus

This brew should smell heavenly! I want the aroma to be amazing because aroma is the second biggest part of the beer for me. I like a beer that smells soooo good and makes the drinking of it that much better. So this one should smell and taste amazing. As well as look cool bing pitch black with a creamy tan or light brown head.

Well, for anyone that may be reading this or cares to know the progess of this monster, the beer seems to be damn close to being done with primary. I haven't taken a reading just yet. I'm going to take an FG reading on Monday which will be exactly one week. It has a very thin layer of foam and spots where the krausen is completely gone. The US-05 never seems to let me down lol. It fermented so fast and strong the first 2 days and then the krausen cleared up in a few days. I bet by tomorrow night, the foam will be almost completely gone. By Monday, I bet it'll be fully done fermenting and hopefully be right around 1.025 FG. I nailed the OG, so hopefully I get my FG or maybe a pinch lower would be even cooler lol. This brew is gonna have an insane body to it with all the malt and specialty grains.

Well, that's all I have for today. Brew on!

Just checked the brew. Wow, US-05 is foreel. It's only been 5 days since that yeast was pitched in and the beer is almost completely foam free. Very very little foam floating on top. I thought by tonight it would look like this but it already does. I bet it's already finished and just cleaning itself up now.

I'm itching to snag a reading and see if I hit my FG like I did on my OG but I told myself to wait till Monday and let it be a week exactly. Then, after I take my reading, I'll drop in my insane amount of dry hops and let it go for another week. That'll make it two weeks in the fermenter. Then, a 3 day cold crash before bottling.

If the US-05 did it's job (which I bet it did) I should have a close to 10% or higher, super hoppy, full body Black IPA. This one is meant for the strong palate haha.

Cheers

I bet you won't have any problem letting that one sit. ;) I would be able to hold off though because my mind switches from dark, and 8% and up beers when it gets hot down here in the south. :laugh: I love those kind of beers in the fall and winter. :freeze:

I checked the keg again a little bit ago. So tempted to take an FG reading tomorrow cuz it's cleaned up alot. But, I'm sticking to my guns and waiting till Monday.

2.5 ounces of dry hops hahaha INSANE. This beer should smell heavenly that's for sure.

They're pellet hops cuz that's all my LHBS had in these hops. But, that many hops would be too much if they were whole leafs cuz they expand like crazy when they're rehydrated. Even this much in pellets is alot lol.

And yeah, I usually drink my dark beers in the fall but this one is gonna be insanely hoppy so its mostly just color. Might have a pinch of roast flavor in the back but I doubt the Black Patent will have much impact as far as flavor cuz of the super high IBU's.

I am excited for you! I did an american brown ale with Yakima Magnun, Citra, and simcoe then dry hopping with simcoe. OMG! It is something special my friend. I thought of all the hopheads including me :woohoo: when I first drank this. It has been a crowd pleaser. Citrus, chocolate almost. YUM! :) We may have to trade. :chug:

Yeah, I'm becoming more and more fond of Simcoe. It seems like the beers I have been liking the most, have Simcoe in them. Has a great pine, citrus, and spicey flavor and aroma as well as a killer bitterness.

I think the 2 ounces of Simcoe for dry hops will make the aroma unbelievable. The .25 oz Centennial and .25 Columbus will just add a little more jazz to it :P

Simcoe is on my list for next month's LHBS trip. Haven't used it yet, but you've made me a believer...

Well, it's been one whole week of fermentation on this monster. Moment of truth. I took an FG reading. I must say, after only 7 days of a fast vigerous fermentation, this brew is amazing!

I almost hit my FG of 1.025. The official FG reading I just took was 1.027! Holy crap does that US-05 work magic!

The end result, is a pitch black, super hoppy, awesome bitterness, spicey hop bite brew. I took sips of this sample and was just in shock at how good it was at this point knowing it's only gonna get better.

It's a very very VERY rich full body. Creamy, chewy, spicey, and the slightest kiss of roast in the backround. This beer as it is right now, tastes like an insanely hopped Russian Imperial Stout. It has a very slight alcohol note but it's really overshadowed by the big hops. The body is very heavy but very smooth. It's almost like a milk stout body but super hoppy. I love it.

So, if the FG stays where it is, I would still be content and very happy. After all, that is a whopping 9.6% ABV approximately.

I just dropped in my insane amount of dry hops. 2 oz Simcoe, .25 oz Centennial, .25 oz Columbus.

After one week of dry hopping, I'm going to take one more FG reading which will be the last one before cold crashing and bottling. Hopefully, it drops 2 points and I achieve my FG of 1.025 on the money. If not, like I said, I'm super impressed with the work the US-05 did for such a HUGE beer.

Cheers!

bigd wrote:

Well, it's been one whole week of fermentation on this monster. Moment of truth. I took an FG reading. I must say, after only 7 days of a fast vigerous fermentation, this brew is amazing!

I almost hit my FG of 1.025. The official FG reading I just took was 1.027! Holy crap does that US-05 work magic!

That is a 73% apparent attenuation, which is very good with that much sugar to eat. I certainly would be extremely happy with that. Usually, my yeast are pretty much done after a week, so I would not expect much more attenuation. Do not really think you would notice a difference between 27 and 25, anyway.

You probably

I get excited hearing about the progress. Keep on with the updates!

:stout:

Yeah bro I'm geeked at the outcome of it this far. I wouldn't really care that much if it stayed at 1.027. I mean, it's 9.6% ABV how could I be mad? :laugh:

Achieving my FG that was predicted would only be the icing on the cake. But the cake is damn good the way it is right now lol.

This beer was my biggest ever and it's going to be a very special beer. I'm brewing this for my birthday and also to celebrate my boy's birth in August.

I'm sure it'll be unreal good by then. If it tasted this good after 7 days fermenting, then after 2 months conditioning it'll be outta this world good.

Getting closer and closer to this bad boy being done. Dry hops have been in there for over 5 days now. I'm going to take the last reading of it on Monday before I put the fermenter in the fridge for 3 days cold crash. I want to bottle this all in bomber but unfortunately I don't have enough bombers. I only have 1 free bomber bottle and some 12 oz bottles booo. I guess I could fork out money for brand spanking new 22 oz bomber bottles but that's silly to spend money on empty bottles when I can just buy some with beer in them and clean em lol.

My local grocery store does sell Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in a sweet looking 24 oz bottle hmmm. 10 of those would be pretty freaking awesome!

I love the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Bombers as well. They look mean. :laugh: :chug:

My favorite 12 oz bottles are the Sierra Nevada bottles. Nothing against the long necks, I just like the look of the short chubby bottles lol.

Bet you can find some Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Wet Hop Harvest around in those same bombers... It is a fine brew, I must say... (takes sip)

I had the 13th anniversery wet hop ale 24 oz bomber the other night! It was soooooo good! :gulp:

Well, took the final gravity reading of this beast and put it in the fridge for a 3 day cold crash.

And the verdict...

OG 1.100
FG 1.026
ABV 9.7%

By far the closest I've ever got to getting the gravity reading DEAD on! I missed the FG by 1 point!

I drank the sample I took and it was unreal good for being a sediment filled, room temp, flat beer. WOW can you tell this is a high ABV brew haha. A bit of an alcohol burn warms the belly. Slight slcohol aroma beneath all of the citrusy and spicey hops. The dry hops really made a difference in the aroma. Tastes great. Has an intense bitterness but all of the malt really makes it palatable. On point for what I was going for. A bit of a full creamy body but I'm sure it'll change a bit once It's cleaned up from the cold crash. If it's this good now, I can't even imagine how it's going to taste in a couple months when it's completely done! I'm still burping up the hops from it lol! The color is almost a completely black but has a little brown on the outside. I think it's going to be pitch black when it's all done and after conditioning. I think it was from the trub cuz it appeared to be hop and yeast sediment floating in it.

It's insane how good that US-05 works! You can make some big ass beers with that simple yeast! I did a mini starter and I think that really made a difference with the attenuation I got from it.

Can't wait to crack one of these bad boys on my birthday on August 5th! Cheers!

OK! Go ahead and put me down for one.... two of those! :) Can't wait to get the review when this one is done. What are you naming this one?

I named it "Come to the Dark Side" Imperial Black IPA

I was thinking of trying to make it have like a Star Wars font for the label haha.

9.7% abv! I just hope there is enough yeast leftover to carbonate the beer. I don't want a heavy carbonation but I do want it to have some carbonation to produce head and not be flat.

I'm thinking of keeping the carbonation on the lower end like I did with my "Fat Stinky Cat" Imperial IPA. I believe I used 47 grams of corn sugar to get a nice low-medium carbonation and it was super creamy. It also produced a killer fluffy head that stuck around till the last sip.

You do not know the POWER of the Dark side! Star Wars nerd here! :laugh: I love it! I had to re prime my imperial IPA. :unsure: Now it is a bit more sweet, but has carbonation. Still unsure what happened.

Just poured the "trub" or "tester" bottle because I caved lol. It's been bottled for 11 days and I had it in the fridge for about 12 hours.

I'll post a picture of the first pour when I get on my laptop.

The appearance is spectacular. Pitch black with an amazing head and lacing. The head is chocolate milk brown and stays around forever. Laces like crazy.

Now, I think I might have my first "bad bottle" or a bottle that got infected because the aroma and flavor was NOT there at all. I was like WTF?? Almost no aroma at all and this beer was dry hopped with 2.5 oz of hops. The taste was off. The hydrometer sample tasted amazing and this tasted not so good at all. The bitterness was like cheap cough syrup in the back of the throat and just didn't taste right.

On a better note, the beer looks great. Though the taste was probably altered from an infection, the mouthfeel was perfect. The carbonation was spot on for the style and the body was like a medium-high.

The only thing I can think of infecting the beer is the bottle I used wasn't clean enough...??? This dumbfounds me because I cleaned it and sanitized the bottle with all the others. The bottle was a reused bottle that I cleaned and sanitized. The other bottles are brand new bombers. So, I'm praying that this bottle was just somehow not clean enough and the others turn out ok because this beer cost a good bit and will be in bottles for a while. I would be very very sad if this whole batch was a bust.

Crossing my fingers cuz this tasted BOMB on bottling day.

@bigd hopefully not infected.

just got my issue of byo today and they have an article about a new style.
the gabf has accepted it as american style india black ale.

still waiting for bjcp approval but looks like it will be category 23:
cascadian dark ale, india black ale or black ipa and they also include a few all grain and extract recipes.

ok so I've noticed the closer you get to the trub the more likely it will be off. I had the same problem today with one of my Imperial Stouts. Two bottles but two different beers. The only difference was when they were bottled. The one with more trub burst through the mouth of the bottle and tasted, quite honestly, awful. The one that was bottled in the beginning of the process didn't foam up, and poured and tasted beautifully. I, personally, am going to start siphoning into a bottling bucket. I think it may be the inactive/dead yeast cells that lend to that off flavor and odor. Just my thoughts. SSRA is amazing btw. I always walk away from the Stone Brewery spending around 1-2 hundred dollars.

Throw one in the fridge and try another. I doubt you got an infection. It would be so bad you would know. Not to mention a big beer like that should sit for a few months. The only thing that I can see why the hops aren't coming through is the high abv and the amount of roasted grains which are more dominate and bitter than other grains. Just my thoughts and I could be way off. :unsure: Try another asap and let us know. :stout:

I think I'm going to try and forget this beer and let it sit till August as planned. But, being realistic and knowing my worry about the beer will make me test a bomber of it to make sure it's alright, I'll probably do an official "quality control" test on a bomber in a week or two.

Reason I think that this "tester" bottle was contaminated is because the beer tasted absolutely amazing when I did gravity readings and tasted it on bottling day.

It was full of hop flavor and smelled outta this world good. This bottle, had almost no aroma and tastes very off. The bitterness was not a stinging lingering clean bitterness in the back of the throa like it was when tasted before but more like a nyquil burn in the throat. I'm truly thinking (and HOPING) that this bottle somehow got funked or possibly the tiny little bit leftover that I dumped into this bottle just got oxygenized and contaminated. It had CRAZY trub in it too. I dunno. Just hoping for the best. All of the bombers are very clean and have only a very thin layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottles. Literally only about 1/4 of what was in the small tester bottle.

Hoping it was just that bottle that was funky. Cuz the taste of it prior to bottling was just unreal good. It was hoppy as all hell and had a nice malty backbone to back up the huge hop bite.

As always, I'll keep ya posted.

Bigd

I's like to brew up my own Black IPA this weekend. what do you think of this recipe?

Recipe SNBlack IPA
Style Cascadian Dark Ale (CDA) (or "Black IPA")
Brewer Scott Bennett
Batch 2.13 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.055 OG
Estimated FG 1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 88 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 5.3%
Recipe Color 40° SRM

Ingredients
0.25 lb Black Patent (US)
1.00 lb Crystal 90L
1.21 lb MrB. Creamy Brown UME
1.21 lb MrB. West Coast Pale Ale

Hop
0.25 oz Magnum Pellet 60 minutes
0.50 oz Magnum Pellet 10 minutes
0.50 oz Magnum Pellet 5 minutes
0.25 oz Magnum Pellet 30 minutes
1.00 oz MrB. West Coast Pale Ale Pellet 5 minutes

Misc
1.00 unit California Ale yeast Yeast WLP001 SNBlack_IPA_small.png

Hmm...

Just my honest opinion of course...

I would be careful with that much specialty grain. They are mostly unfermentable sugars that are for the sole purpose of body, sweetness, and color. This could make the beer very heavy, sweet, and off for a lower ABV beer.

Also, that is a high IBU for a beer around 5% ABV. This might be ok since your having alot of specialty grains to add sweetness to balance it out. But remember, lower ABV beers mean lower malt and this will make the bitterness ALOT more intense.

If it were me, I would maybe add some more malt to back that up and maybe drop the specialty grains down a bit (maybe the 90L down to .5 lb instead of 1 lb.)

From my limited experience with Mr. Beer HME's, I've noticed that they have a bit more sweetness in them than regular LME. That's why I would drop the grains down so it isn't overwhemingly sweet. Maybe add 1 lb of DME or a can of UME? Just an idea.

Overall you got a good idea, just think some tweaks would make it alot better. 90 IBU's for a 5% ABV beer would be pretty bitter. I wouldn't mind it, but my palate is wrecked from bitter bombs lol. Good luck and let us know what ya do man!

The beers I plan on aging the longest go in 12 oz bottles. Lots more opportunities for sampling their progress without emptying your stash. Just my .02.

I like the Bombers. I try to have one per batch and save it for last. The last beer is sooooo hard to drink. It is almost saddening. I agree with you Hurst/Olds on the 12oz bottles. I am too impatient, but I have gotten better about premature tasting. :)

Ok

so taking all of the excellent advise I've tweeked the recipe a little

Recipe SNBlack IPA
Brewer Scott Bennett
Batch 2.13 gal
Partial Mash

Recipe Characteristics
Gravity 1.070 OG
Estimated FG 1.017 FG
Bitterness 82 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 6.8%
Color 37° SRM

Ingredients
0.25 lb Black Patent (US) or Carafa II
0.50 lb Crystal 90L Grain
1.00 lb Dark DME

Hops
0.50 oz Magnum Pellet 5 minutes
0.25 oz Magnum Pellet 30 minutes
1.00 oz MrB. West Coast Pale Ale Pellet 5 minutes

Yeast
1.00 unit California Ale yeast Yeast WLP001

I'm also looking at dropping the Black Patent in favor of Carafa as I was reading the latest issue of BYO and they mentioned that Carafa type malts were more to style for a Black IPA then Black Patent

Sounds good man. Let us know how it turns out!

I think the change you made will greatly enhance the overall outcome. This will still be super hoppy but a little better balanced so it will be more drinkable.

6.8% abv is a relatively higher abv but will be hidden well with the 80+ IBU's. Should be a nice hoppy Black IPA.

Let us know how the Carafa works if you use it. This beer was my first one with Black Patent. I used it because it's supposed to not really impart any flavor but give it color and some extra body.

Here is the final recipe

Recipe SNBlack IPA
Brewer Scott Bennett
Batch 2.13 gal
Partial Mash

Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.066 OG
Estimated FG 1.016 FG
Recipe Bitterness 94 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 6.4%
Recipe Color 33° SRM

Ingredients
0.75 lb CaraMunich
0.50 lb Crystal 135-165L (British)
0.50 lb Dark DME

Hops

1.00 oz Cascade Pellet 20 minutes
1.00 oz Cascade Pellet 0 minutes
1.00 oz MrB. West Coast Pale Ale 5 minutes

Yeast
1.00 unit California Ale yeast Yeast WLP001

Very interesting choice of ingredients. Let us know how it turns out!

Hope you have a palate for a bitter hopbomb cuz 94 IBU's in a 6.4% beer will be intense! I bet it'll turn out nice though. To me, there can never be too much hops haha.

If your splitting a pound of DME to get a half pound, I would just toss the whole pound in honestly. It'll bump up the ABV a decent bit and add more body and sweetness. It would still be a hoppy hoppy beer ;)

BigD's "Come to the Dark Side" Imperial Black IPA, first pour:

5310384259_f0aa9a4b7a_b.jpg

Pour gives a small very creamy head that dissipates to a small ring that persists. Presents as a stout... dark black. Carbonation is also stout-like... light, which feels right for this beer. Aroma is all IPA... heavy citrus, a bit of grassy and spicy, really getting the Simcoe and Centennial, with also some sweet malt. Flavor is very citrus hop up front (with a bit of the grassy), but it finishes with a roasted, almost coffee-like flavor of a stout. As it warms, I'm getting a nice caramel note as well. Surprisingly smooth... Next to no alcohol up front at all, which is a bit surprising considering the ABV, and not as insanely bitter as you would suspect considering the IBU. Don't get me wrong, the bitter is there, but it is pretty well balanced with the malt bill.

A real sipper considering the ABV (and that it's a bomber), so I may have to forego any plans for another beer tonight and taste this slowly as it warms.

Well done, BigD. This one is a keeper. Thanks for sharing...