Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BossBrew

SA's Blackberry Wit vs. My Blueberry Maibock

So I picked up a Sam Adam's Blackberry Witbier in a Mixer Sixer the other day. Wanted to compare it to my Blueberry Honey Maibock, which is still very, very young. But what the hell.

Had mine first (recipe below). It's only been 10 days in the bottle. Even young, I was quite impressed. Plenty of hoppiness. Couldn't really get much of a honey taste (could have been slight, but I may have just been projecting it), but I could get some blueberry flavors coming through. I hope this is a good sign that this brew will be wonderful in another month or so.

I had the Sam Adams a few minutes later. I usually like most Sam Adams beer and this was no exception. The Sam Adams had a lighter color than mine and a much better head. I could smell the berry aroma in this one. And there was a clearly pronounced blackberry flavor. Biggest difference in this one and mine was the cleaner finish in the Sam Adams. Mine felt more heavy on the tongue. This one was lighter, crisper, etc. Not necessarily good or bad either way, but the difference in finish was pronounced.

Overall, I would recommend the Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier to anyone who hasn't had it yet. It's a nice frewt brew. And I'm glad I compared mine to this one. Gives me hope that mine will be really nice in a month.

Blueberry Honey Maibock

1 can HCCD
1 can Pale Export
1 lb. Extra Light DME
.5 oz Tetnang Hops
16 oz. Honey
1 can Oregon Blueberries

Boiled DME in 6 cups of water until hot break.
Added .25 oz hops for 30 minute boil.
Added 8 oz honey for final 15 minutes of boil.
Added 8 oz honey for final 5 minutes of boil.
Added .25 oz hops for final 3 minutes of boil.
Added Pale Export, then flameout.
Added HCCD, then wort to keg.
At 4 days, sanitized and pureed bluberries.

Bottle primed with white sugar.

I like your recipe! I hate SA BBW though. I would say the reason for yours having more mouth feel is that it's a HOMEBREW! Less refined and all that crap. Even though SA is a "craft brewer" they do want to be more "user" friendly to make MORE MONEY. I really like the Coastal Wheat, Noble pils, Irish red, Oktoberfest and the winter lager. I am done ranting, too much coffee this morning. :laugh:

Thanks, Dpip! Feels good to have a recipe complimented, especially by someone with so many (no doubt) wonderful brews under their belt.

I do realize that many folks don't like fruit beers. I, however, don't mind them at all. This BB Honey Maibock was my first attempt a fruit brew. I forsee doing more if this one is going to be as I think it will be after proper conditioning time.

And you are also correct about Sam Adams vs. a homebrew. I didn't consider this point of view. While Sam Adams usually does produce more outstanding beers than poor ones, and even though they are a craft brewery, they still mass produce.

For what its worth, the differencs you mentioned between the two beers are likely due to the different styles (witbier vs maibock). I would expect yours to be darker, more hoppy and a little more heavy on the tounge/not as crisp.

XaulZan11 - This is true and is a point not to be overlooked. I suppose i could have been mroe clear in my desire to compare the two. I had not yet brewed with fruit and was interested in seeing how my recipe would wind up i.e. would I be able to taste the blueberries. It was just so serendipitous that I had a SA Blackberry Wit on hand (I never have fruit beers around) that I had to do a side by side comparision with my own.

Even so, your point is well taken. And you are spot on about mine being more hoppy, darker, and heavier.

I love the fruity wheat beers by Sam Adams. Especially the Cherry Wheat! Coastal Wheat is delicious too. The only thing I noticed, that I didn't care for, in the coastal wheat, is the tired stale lemon zest smell. It reminded me of the leather like pieces of orange peal that are sold in the LHBS in those bags with the coriander and such. It was interesting to note this as I just sampled my 3 spice lemon weiz on bottling day, and the lemon zest came through so nicely, a little more bright and floral. Sorry for high jacking your thread!