Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
WretchedRon

My First Non-Mr Beer Recipe

Very exciting day for me. A few first's. Steeping grains for the first time. I'm also doing a 5 gal batch and splitting it into 2 MrB kegs. I know I'll have some left over so I'm going to make a mini fermenter for the leftover brew.

Trying to create a Grolsch type European style Pilsner. Here's the recipe -

6.5 lbs Briess Light Pilsen DME
.13 lbs Munich Malt (light) 6.9L
.25 lbs Carapils Malt 1.5L

1 oz Yakima Magnum Hop Pellets (60 mins)
1/4 oz Hersbrucker German Hop Pellets (15 mins)
1/2 oz Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (10 mins)

1 Tsp Irish Moss (15 mins before flame out)

11.5 gr Safale K-97 Dry Yeast

O.G 1.057, F.G 1.014
IBU 29, SRM 3.5
5.5% ABV

Fingers crossed. I've done my homework and I'm diving in head first!!
Thanks to my fellow Borg members - couldn't have even attempted this without your helpful info!!

Cheers - Ron

yo dude, great recipe.

i did the step up to 5g split in 2 fermenters. it works great, and as was suggested in a previous post, filling to the top of the q gets close to a 5g size. you end up with maybe a slightly bigger beer, but that just happens to be a plus for me.

good luck and keep us posted

Thanks - ran out of time yesterday so it's going down today. I've done some reading and I'm thinking of sparging my grains after steeping rather than not. Pretty pumped up about this. Cheers!!

Looks like a nice recipe. I've been doing non Mr Beer recipes after batch 3 (just brewed batch 13) and been very happy with the results. I use the Tastybrew calculator for my recipes.

Good luck, let us know of the results.

Everything went off without a hitch. Went with 7 lbs DME rather than the 6.5. I don't think it'll make too much of a difference.(?)
O.G. was higher than expected. Took one from each keg. 1.069 ea.

Go to work yeastie beasties!! :evil:

Krausen is good. :) I wanted to tell you to sparge your grains until it runs almost clear so you get all the goodness. This sparging is called a partial mash my friend. :)

When I sparge this is what I do. In a separate pot from steep, Place a strainer with grains in it and 1 cup at a time run 170 degree water over your grains. Then use all of the second runnings instead of just plain water. :cheers: sparge.jpg

on my last steep, i didn't use a cheesecloth/grainsack. after steeping, i used my wifes stainless colander and ran about 2 quarts water over them. i don't think my water was 170, just wasn't sure that was sparging.
also went commando with all my hops. straining was a problem, so in the fermenters it went

I was going to ask about the sparging technique. I'm going to buy a stainless strainer for the next time. What I did yesterday was untie my grain sack, have my brother in law hold it open above my brew pot and I ran a 1/2 gal of 160 degree water through it nice and slow. Unorthodox, but I think it worked well.

Hey Ron whatever works at that moment is good enough. :) I just built a mash tun, so I think I may be trying some all grain brews. It was cheap and easy to make. I have a post with pics about one week or so ago. Check it out. :chug: