Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
petnamkaang

EXPLOSIVE BEER

1 week before vacation i made a batch of witty monk only in keg for 7 nights.The house was a little cold was not here to check keg temp bottled it before we left.5 weeks later almost blew my head off when i openend a bottle. PET bottles are rock hard some are in glass bottles couple in flip lid which blew the whole metal clip right off the bottle shot mabe 30 feet away.Big head on beer mabe let it sit 5 minutes before i can drink from a cold mug kind a flat when a take a sip. From the bottle it has great carb mabe a little to much.
Anyways bottled to early / House was to cold /Yeasties still working now
helping explode my beer.Waiting big explode in fridge or xtr bedroom where the beer is.Priming was done per mr beer instuctions. :silly:

Beer volcanoes happen, for a variety of reasons, I suppose. I think you probably hit on one or two conditions that would cause it in your case.

I've had it happen (blew a flippie across the kitchen), and I think that particular bottle was too warm when I opened it. I've also had it happen due to uneven batch priming; I always drain one gallon from the keg into the bucket then add the priming sugar mixture, and then drain the rest, for better mixture.

I think excess trub can also cause it.

Fortunately, I've had few volcanoes, and I haven't had any bottle grenades yet. I still put my newly bottled batches in a plastic garbage bag, though, just in case. ;)

I've bottle primed 14 batches without any negative incidents. A hydrometer is 7 bucks or so.....only way to be absolutely sure ferment is done.

FedoraDave wrote:

Beer volcanoes happen, for a variety of reasons, I suppose. I think you probably hit on one or two conditions that would cause it in your case.

I've had it happen (blew a flippie across the kitchen), and I think that particular bottle was too warm when I opened it. I've also had it happen due to uneven batch priming; I always drain one gallon from the keg into the bucket then add the priming sugar mixture, and then drain the rest, for better mixture.

I think excess trub can also cause it.

Fortunately, I've had few volcanoes, and I haven't had any bottle grenades yet. I still put my newly bottled batches in a plastic garbage bag, though, just in case. ;)

I experienced uneven carbing with batch priming this week. I tested my Oktoberfest and it was a fair head with no lacing. The next one was awesome with a nice thick creamy head. The third one was flat. I am about to open another. Good thing I made a 4.8 gallon batch.
First pour
blitzkrieg_1-20100518.jpg

Second pour

Great_head-20100518.jpgGreat_head_2-20100518.jpg