Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FedoraDave

This Trilby is a real conundrum

This particular batch was bottled six weeks ago, so it's had a lot of time to condition. It's better now than when I first tried it (and the second batch is much better than the first, but I didn't really know what I was doing then).

But it's not there yet. :angry:

This particular bottle that I'm drinking now had a massive amount of head. I had to slurp it off three or four times before I could finish pouring it. But I wouldn't say it's overly-carbed. It's a little sweeter than I want it, too.

This particular recipe is done with Mr. Beer extracts, and I think if I'm going to get the brown ale I want, I'm going to have to go with steeped grains and DMEs. This particular recipe is going to become my search for El Dorado, or the Holy Grail, or that pair of cuff links you only wear once or twice a year, I think. This is a good brown ale I'm drinking right now, make no mistake.

But it's not the Trilby my taste buds are telling me they want. For the record, here's the recipe I followed:

One Can Nut-Brown Ale
One Can Creamy Brown UME
½ Packet Booster
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
½ oz Fuggle Pellet Hops boiled 35 - 40 minutes
½ oz Fuggle Pellet Hops boiled 15 minutes
One packet yeast included with HME

½ Cup Light Brown Sugar dissolved in 1 Cup water to be added 3 – 5 days into ferment

3/14/10 OG = 1.052
Projected FG = 1.013

(NOTE: Batch prime with 7 tablespoons brown sugar)

I'm going to stick with the Fuggle hops, since it's the traditional brown ale hops, but I may tinker with the amounts and the boil time. I'm thinking the Booster and the brown sugar might be thinning it out a bit, so I'm going to go with steeped grains and dark DME, with maybe a small amount of Amber DME, just to balance it a bit. I want those caramel and molasses undertones, and the right steeped grains/DME might just provide what I thought the brown sugar would. This is making me crazy. :S

I swear, I'm going to get this down, and then I'll have a brown ale in the pipeline that I'll hang my hat on any day.

Stay tuned, 'coz this ain't over.

this seems to be a common occurence here. we know what we want, and by golly, we're gonna get it. the neatest thing is that as you are doing, trial and error, tinkering, whatever you call it, you will end up with YOUR exact brew you are looking for. good luck searching for your holt grail. we'll be along for the ride.

And it's not like I'm drinking drain cleaner, here, either. This is decent brown ale.

It's just ...

... not ...

... you know.

But, boy, when you hit that taste you're looking for....Need a cold shower after drinking that one.

It's great that we have thousands of ingredient combinations to work with. It's even better that we get to drink our test brews. Everyone has that perfect brew somewhere and the trip just adds to the fun of getting to the perfect brew. Sit back, enjoy the ride! :gulp:

My less than expert advice; ditch the booster, cut the brown sugar to 1/2 cup, and mash a pound of grain. The best beers I've made with Mr Beer ingredients keep the adjuncts to a minimum, with 1/2 lb 2 row with 1/2 lb your choice grain(s).

I think besides the water, ones yeast selection is the most important ingredient. A good bread company keeps their yeast on lock down. :laugh:
I would maybe sub amber DME for the booster/brown sugar and use a wyeast American ale 1056. Not saying your beer is not good my friend, but I bet your Trilby would kick some ask me no more questions even more than it does now. Also try a dry hop with your hops. I love a nice aroma of hops with a nutty brown ale. Here is a pic. of my brown ale Apophis. This is a beer for the gods my friend. I have a recipe post on here and let me tell you my friend it is a winner. I used Magnum for 60 min, Simcoe for 15 min, and Citra at flame out. I then dry hopped w/ Simcoe. The citra hops give a citrus nose on top of toasty, nutty, chocolate aromas. then you get a pine and citrus flavor followed by the malts.I also batch primed with all natural unfiltered honey. :gulp:

Apophis_american_brown_ale-20100518.jpg