Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dmac

First timer, need bottling advice today!

Ok,my brother got me my first Mr. Beer Kit at Christmas and I finally got around to brewing my first batch. Today is 2 weeks in the fermenter and so it's time to bottle!

My question is about sanitizing the measuring spoons and funnel for putting the sugar in the bottles. If I use some of the no rinse sanitizer to sanitize the funnel and measuring spoons, they will be wet when I try to put the sugar in the bottle which will lead to inaccurate amounts in the bottles. So, do I just shake the sanitizing solution off the funnel and measuring spoons or is it ok to let them dry a while before adding the sugar to the bottles?

Also, I noticed that there was some seepage of the beer at the gasket where the spigot attaches to the fermenter. Looks like just a little leaked out at some point but not a constant leak. More like a small dribble and it is dry, not an active leak. Will this be a problem?

Final question and sorry to go on so long but the keg is sitting in the top of a closet and I need to move it to a better position for bottling. Can I do this at lunch and then bottle later this evening? Will the sediment be settled back down by then?

Thanks for the help for a newbie!

I would move the keg to the fridge for three days and let the beer settle. This is called cold crashing. It does not hurt the yeast. It will give you a clearer beer. I always do this. ;)

Welcome!!.
I have sanitized the funnel and measuring spoons and let them sit on a paper towel to dry while I sanitized the bottles. This gives them time to dry.

I move my keg from the top of the fridge to counter (very carefully) just before bottling and have had no ill effects.

good luck
jopa

Also you should maybe buy a bottling bucket. This is good for batch priming. I also use one even when I don't batch prime. I like to use Coopers carb drops. They are easy and efficient. You will find what is best for you in time. Bottling wands with a locking spigot are key. If you don't have one, order one today. Here is my bottling technique. bottling_1.jpgbottling_3.jpgbottling_2.jpg

jopa wrote:

Welcome!!.
I have sanitized the funnel and measuring spoons and let them sit on a paper towel to dry while I sanitized the bottles. This gives them time to dry.

I move my keg from the top of the fridge to counter (very carefully) just before bottling and have had no ill effects.

good luck
jopa

+1 to this. Sanitize, place on a clean surface like a fresh paper towel and you're good to go. Let it dry and bottle on.