Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rabbit

Partial Mash, Conversion?

I was told when mashing to check to see if the conversion has taken place from starch to sugar by testing a teaspoon of the wort with some iodine. If it turns clear than it has taken place and that if it turns black than it has not yet. My temps have been around 152-156 for the past hour and it still seems like the conversion still hasn't taken place. Any ideas as too how long or if my temps are incorrect?

I think i'm going to let it go for another 10 minutes than sparge and start my boiling.

Any insight would be helpful as my brew is going now.

I took a brewing class, and I learned this trick too. Richard, our instructor, took some iodine and showed how it turned black as soon as it hit the wort. Kind of like black ink. After conversion, the iodine stayed pretty much orange but did get a little darker when touching some of the grains. I am not sure about the iodine turning clear, however.

Dirk Diggler (I can't type that without cringing) is right. The iodine will basically stay the same color it was coming out of the bottle if your conversion is complete.