Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rabbit

Partial Mash, Brewhouse Efficiency!?!

So I did my first Partial Mash recipe today.

I had my tools in Beersmith set to about a 65% efficiency rate figuring that my first attempt would probably not go as well as possible.

I overshot my OG by .009!!

I recalculated my efficiency in BeerSmith and now according to the program, my efficiency is calculated at 85%!!

This was just a simple stovetop Partial Mash, quite surprised at the efficiency level. Not that i'm complaining! Anyone experience this before?

Yes. My first and so far only partial mash I overshot my OG by a decent amount as well, cant recall what it was exactly. I thought maybe it was that I had less water than I was supposed to, but when I racked to the secondary, I was right on my mark. So not really sure why. To contrast that, in my first 2 attempts at AG, I have had terrible efficiency... just under 60%. Did some reading today after this last batch only hit 57.16% (though I will hit the abv I wanted, yet it is a waste of grains to be that low, I get that) and found that I am draining my mash tun too fast, especially when I sparge. So gonna work on that in the future.

Anyway, yes, on my PM I have come in above my OG, but not really sure why.

I was very pleased and surprised to have a similarly high efficiency with my last couple of all grain beers. I've never tried to determine my brewhouse efficiency with a mini mash though, although I guess you can since you know to expect a 44 point figure for your extract. How did you sparge?

It is normal to be off a little IMO. Beer is food, and I have had a recipe not hit efficiency and it was damn good. So Just relax and enjoy your brews! :)

My sparge was quite simple. I mashed using 4 quarts of water at 152-156 degrees and it went about 75 minutes. I than heated another 4 quarts of water to about 185 degrees and transferred my grains to that pot for another 15 minutes. Combined the 2 pots and started my boil.

otg wrote:

I was very pleased and surprised to have a similarly high efficiency with my last couple of all grain beers. I've never tried to determine my brewhouse efficiency with a mini mash though, although I guess you can since you know to expect a 44 point figure for your extract. How did you sparge?