1 1/2 oz Perle Hops 60 min
1 oz Sterling aroma
Whirlfloc
Pacman 1764

OG approx 1.066
FG 1.012
ABV 7.1%
IBU's 41

Have you ever used Whirlflock before? If so, what are your thoughts on comparing it to Irish Moss?

I've never had Dead Guy Ale, but this recipe sounds good. Maybe I'll have to pick one up next time I'm by World Market.

Guest System Admin

I like it better for the fact that it is easy. You just throw the tab in the wort for the last 5 mins of the boil.

I find that it works as good or better.

G

Dead Guy is a good ale. try it.

+1 on the Whirlflock. It's what I use now as well. I break them in half for Mr. B batches, or throw the whole tablet in the boil for the 5 gallons. Great results...

Mmmm... Dead Guy... Haven't had that in a while...

Guest System Admin

yeah, mmmm Dead Guy.

10 bucks a sixer.
Expensive but worth it.

G

I guess Whirlflock clears up the beer? Does it clog up the MrBeer spigot like irish moss?

Guest System Admin

Negative. it dissolves and pretty much goes away. it is a tablet.

fizzes around a little and that is it.

G

and it's suggested that 1/2 tab for a 5 gallon, leaving 1/4 for a MB sized batch. :stout: It's a Irish Moss Plus....

Guest System Admin

Yankee, I have always just thrown in a whole tab.

Hmm. you think it makes a difference?

G

Guest System Admin

finally, water is made, and steeping commences. Preparation is everything.

As read in the advert:

A blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form. Almost everyone who tries Whirlfloc tablets prefer them to regular Irish Moss.
Add for the final 5 minutes of the boil.

Note: One Whirlfloc tablet is good for 10-15 gallons of wort. We suggest using half a tablet for 5 gallon batches for most beers.

Guest System Admin

thanks man. that means my whirlfloc will last 2x as long. lol

Cost containment

Wow, this seems like good stuff. I checked and the price is similar to the irish moss. When I'm out of Irish Moss, I will have to try this out.

Guest System Admin

mmmmm... steeping grains.

smells SOOO.... GOOD!

G

Guest System Admin

thanks man.

going for the boil now.

Those Perle hops smell heavenly.

G

Guest System Admin

WretchedRon wrote:

Sounds good. I've seen Dead Guy but never tried it. Any comparison's?

Upon perusing the beer coolers at one of the local beer shops, my eyes came to rest on a tall bottle displaying a skeleton, with arms crossed, holding a pint and sitting on a keg. It had the familiar Rogue Ale logo and the ominous name of Dead Guy Ale . How's that for a warning label folks!

The brewery originated in a Public House in Newport, Oregon in 1989 and was originally named Bayfront Brewery and used a 10bbl brewsystem. It was later moved across the bay in 1991 to a larger brewery with a 15bbl brewsystem. The old Public House was converted to a poolroom and named Crustacean Station. In 1998, the company bought a 50bbl Kobe brewsystem.

Rogue Ales are made with hops, barley malt, free range coastal water and Pacman top fermenting proprietary yeast. No preservatives, additives, or chemical are used. They do not pasteurize their products. The ales are bottled using an oxygen absorbing cap and brown glass for better shelf life and plenty of malted barley and hops to provide stability.

The brewery specializes in traditional handcrafted English ales including a Porter, Shakespeare Stout, a Barleywine, Old Crusteacean, and a seasonal red ale, Santa's Private Reserve. Rogue's Brutal Bitter was voted the People's Choice Award at the 1999 SpringFest in Portland, Oregon.

In the 1990's Dead Guy Ale was created as a private tap sticker to celebrate the Mayan Day of The Dead (All Souls Day). It is a German-style Maibock that pours a foamy beige head. It has a deep golden amber color and the aroma has a strong fruity bouquet. The flavor is quite complex. It has a rich, hearty, malty flavor with a hint of honey for sweetness. The sweetness is counteracted by a slightly acrid bite and somewhat bitter finish. The alcohol content is 6.6% abv. It is a bit pricey at $4.50 per pint at my local outlet.

This ale will definitely jump- up and bite, despite the name and label that suggests lifelessness. I would recommend Dead Guy Ale as a complement to steak, seafood or any type of combination that would go with a bittersweet flavor. It is a little too bitter for my taste, but if you enjoy slightly bitter ales, this one's for you!

Guest System Admin

Made it to 10.62

Not bad.

G

Dead Guy Rocks!!!

I am trying to create a viable PacMan sample from the dusting on the bottom of the bottle. I hear that yeast is killer!

It's good to have you back with us Gary!
You were missed.

Whale

Sheldoni wrote:

Brewing This Morning

Dead Guy Ale Clone
5 Gallons

6.6 lbs Briess Pilsen light UME
1lb light DME
1lb Munich malt
1/2lb Carastan Malt
1 1/2 oz Perle Hops 60 min
1 oz Sterling aroma
Whirlflock
Pacman 1764

OG approx 1.066
FG approx 1.016
ABV approx 6.5%
IBU's 41

Sounds good! Dead Guys is awesome. I usually reserve it for trips along the Oregon Coast, more specifically for lunch/dinner at MO's with a big ole bowl of chowder. I was told Sunday that Costco up here is now carrying it by the case for $24... not too shabby :)

Hey Sheldoni...where you at in Oregon?

Hey Sheldoni - had to see for myself. Picked up two bottles in a mixer sixer on the way home from work. Chillin down in the fridge now. Looking forward to them. Cheers - Ron

Guest System Admin

it is killer. It just eats like pacman.

Hence the name.
G

Guest System Admin

I am in Portland.
Cheers.

Sheldoni wrote:

I am in Portland.
Cheers.

Ah, I love Portland! From Widmer Brothers, to Pine State Biscuits and Voodoo Doughnuts, Otto's or Broadway Grill & Brewery :)

Yeah, pacman isn't available locally anymore (as far as I can tell). I'd really like to tackle something similar soon... Recipe looks great, Shel...

Very nice flavor. I'm not the best at describing but it has a mellow, butterscotch hint, a little creamy, real nice hop taste. I'm sold.
Good call Sheldoni!!

Bought them in Texas - $2.19 per 12oz bottle. $11.99 per 6 pack. Definately worth it.

They sell Dead Guy in bottles here at the main beer stores, but Woody's has growlers of it. That's my choice... The cool thing is that the Dead Guy growlers are brown glass, so I can reuse them for my beer... Bonus...

Lazarus will be the Blue Jew Brew modeled after Dead Guy Ale (think about it) and is currently #3 in the upcoming lineup; #1 and #2 are the MB and PM versions of Kind David's Cream Stout, and I will get a bottle of that to the first person who accurately names what it is being modeled after.

Accordingly, I have been scouring the boards for a good Dead Guy like recipe for weeks now. I think I pretty much have a winner, but will not publish until after brewed, in case it is just all wrong.

I have been a Dead Guy fan for a while, and it always mystified me because I am not a hop head; but while researching this project, I realized why...it is a big fat maibock with extra hops...Aaaaahhhh, now THAT makes sense. Loooooooove me some maibock! ;)

Gary, keep me posted how this turns out, we can compare notes in a few months.

David

hmm... a maibock, that is my favorite style of beer. Scells Maifest is my favorite and it is my basis of comparison for all maibocks. If you like a maibock that is a good one to try.

SiriusDG wrote:

#1 and #2 are the MB and PM versions of Kind David's Cream Stout, and I will get a bottle of that to the first person who accurately names what it is being modeled after.

St. Peter's Cream Stout?

Just a shot in the dark...

SiriusDG wrote:

And we have a winner. Good shot.

GREAT beer, by the way

David

I will definitely have to try it. I am going to the in-laws and they have a liquor store that has a bunch of singles. Hopefully they have it there.

I always like how you name your beers, David. Can't wait to hear how the MB & PM versions turn out.

Guest System Admin

I bottled this yesterday,
FG 1.012
ABV 7.1

Tasted great out of the cylinder.

Sheldoni

Guest System Admin

absolutely fantastic. Delicious by anybody's standards.

Didn't last long enough, I am going to brew another batch soon.

G

Man... I thought you were sending me one... Maybe from that next batch... ;)

Guest System Admin

gimme your addy and I just might do that. PM it to me.

Sheldoni wrote:

absolutely fantastic. Delicious by anybody's standards.

Didn't last long enough, I am going to brew another batch soon.

G

Awesome! Thanks!

I just sampled my first Dead Guy Ale tonight.
Really good beer!

I've been sampling a lot of Craft Brews, and taking note of the ones that I like.
While drinking said brews, I look up their info (if any) on the net.
Trying to learn the hops/malts/styles that I do and don't like this way.

So now I know that I like Perle and Saaz hops, German maibocks, and pacman yeast.

Lovin this hobby! ;)

So I finally got around to drinking the Lazarus, full write up here, if you like Dead Guy, check it out.

Brew On!!

David

I've had the ingredients on hand for awhile to make this, but Pacman is a hard yeast to find. My LHBS doesn't carry it and the only place online that I've found is Rebel where it'll cost an extra $9 shipping.

Have you ever made this with a yeast other than Pacman, sheldoni? Or should I not even bother until I can find the yeast?

David, what did you use for your Lazarus?

Brew City wrote:

I've had the ingredients on hand for awhile to make this, but Pacman is a hard yeast to find. My LHBS doesn't carry it and the only place online that I've found is Rebel where it'll cost an extra $9 shipping.

This is the cheapest I've seen the Dead Guy kit and the Pacman by itself isn't a bad deal if you're ordering other supplies. I also like their 1/2 L PET bottles. However, the caps are not a good deal.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_261&products_id=1784

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10839

I did the extract version with Pacman in a Cooper's fermenter and it was just awesome. We did a side by side with a bottle of Dead Guy and it was so close it was scary. Just better because I brewed it. ;)

This recipe Sheldoni posted looks good. I might give it a shot soon. Good luck to everybody else trying it.

Brew City wrote:

If it'd be any cheaper, I could run over to Rebel and then send it to you. Of course, after paying 9.5% tax and shipping, it probably wouldn't help you any...

Wow -- tons of notetaking, and not a single mention of the yeast anywhere. How did I do that?

I am FAIRLY positive it was S-05; the only possible other choice would have been White Labs California Ale yeast, but don't think so.

Hopin to tap this keg on Friday night!! Whoo hoo!! :woohoo:

David

this thread has been saved, love dead guy ale. will have to try one of these clones in the near future.

When I brewed my scaled down version of Dead Guy Ale I used Safale K-97

Dead Guy Clone
Wretched Ron's Brewing
2.4 Gal German Maibock Style

4 lbs Light DME
.5 lb Munich Light Malt
.25 lb Caravienne Malt

.75 oz Perle Hop Pellet 60 mins
.5 oz Saaz Dry Hop

6 gr Safale K-97 Dry Yeast

Guest System Admin

I would think the us-05, wlp-001 or any other clean fermenting yeast. just dont want no stinkin esters in this one.

:woohoo:

swenocha wrote:

Brew City wrote:

If it'd be any cheaper, I could run over to Rebel and then send it to you. Of course, after paying 9.5% tax and shipping, it probably wouldn't help you any...

Holy lotta tax, batman! Yeah, it probably is just as cheap to buy it and have it shipped if I order it with some other supplies. I'm going to mention the yeast at my LHBS and chances are they will try and get it in stock, too.

Sirius, let us know how you liked the Lazarus when you get it tapped!

Sheldoni, I may try it with US-05 in the interim. With temperatures dropping, I should hopefully be able to keep this one fermenting in the upper 50s which will help.

Brew City wrote:

Holy lotta tax, batman!

Lotta sales tax, but no income tax. TN is one of the lower taxed states in the country... ;)

swenocha wrote:

Brew City wrote:

Holy lotta tax, batman!

Lotta sales tax, but no income tax. TN is one of the lower taxed states in the country... ;)

More money for beer, then! :)
:gulp:

I ordered the minimash kit for this from Austin homebrew with the pacman yeast and they gave three alternatives yeasts on the sheet, but of course I went with pacman and I am glad I did it was AWESOME yeast. We don't live far from Austin so I pick up a pack anytime I drive through, its now my house yeast.

Anyway back to topic, I have the recipe sheet at home and when I get home I will post the alternative they listed. I can also post the recipe if yall would like.

melbaLT4 wrote:

I ordered the minimash kit for this from Austin homebrew with the pacman yeast and they gave three alternatives yeasts on the sheet, but of course I went with pacman and I am glad I did it was AWESOME yeast. We don't live far from Austin so I pick up a pack anytime I drive through, its now my house yeast.

Anyway back to topic, I have the recipe sheet at home and when I get home I will post the alternative they listed. I can also post the recipe if yall would like.

Please do post the recipe and yeast alternatives! I'd love to see them! :chug:

On a related note, has anyone tried Rogue's Dead Guy Whiskey? I noticed it on the menu at Whiskey Kitchen and hadn't heard of this before. In doing some research, I found...

Dead Guy Whiskey

Proof: 80

Tasting Notes:
Delicately sweet with a rich malt complexity, opens up to a warm peppery finish.

6 Ingredients:
Dead Guy Whiskey is made with the same 4 grains that are used to make Dead Guy Ale since 1991. Northwest Harrington, Maier Munich, Klages, and Carastan malts; Free Range Coastal Water & Distiller's yeast.

2008 World Beverage Competition—Silver

HISTORY
Rogue’s Dead Guy family has a whole new spirit—Dead Guy Whiskey, created on the Pacific Ocean and Yaquina Bay in a multi-step process.

Northwest Harrington, Maier Munich, Klages, and Carastan malts are combined with Free Range Coastal Water in a 100 BBL 3,000 gallon brew system. Distiller’s yeast is then added to the wort, fermented, and then hauled across the parking lot to the Rogue House of Spirits (est. 2006) where its doubledistilled by Master distiller John Couchot in a 150 gallon Vendome copper pot still and then aged in charred American white oak barrels. Each 3,000 gallon batch yields 100 gallons of Dead Guy Whiskey.

06388_1302_detail.jpg

That sounds really good! Gonna have to look for some of that when I am in Oregon next month :)

Ok here we go. However, after listening to the ins and outs of brewing this beer from interviews with John Maier I have altered this recipe a little, but I will post it the way I obtained it originally.

5 Gallons - mini mash
OG 1.067
FG 1.017
ABV 6.6%

7# Extra Pale LME
1.25# Two Row
0.75# Caramunich
0.75# Munich
0.5# Carapils

1.5oz Perle (60min)
0.5oz Saaz (15min)

Mash grains (in grain bag) in 2 gallons @ 155* for 45 min. After soaking grains dunk up and down, and rinse with 2 quarts of 170* water. Bring to a boil and brew as usual.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1764 Pacman
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
White Labs WLP 051 California Ale V
Nottingham Ale (dry)

Now the things I have changed are the Saaz hops to Sterling. Dead Guy was originally brewed with US Saaz not Czech, but when they became unavailable they switched to Sterling and these are what they are currently using. I know there is little difference between the two but since I can get them I use them. Rather than the Crystal 40 I use Carastan (Rouge uses Great Western C15 but I can't source that so this is basically the same). And I add 1/2# Carapils for a litle head retention.

Alright so there it is, I think this is also my current repeater so let me know what you think. Oh and I really think that the Pacman yeast is the way to go, I have said it many times but it is Awesome yeast very fast, clean, tasty, and I think it really takes this beer up a notch. If yo ucan find it the White Labs Calafornia Ale V it really good too, low ester, low diacetyl, that would be my second choice. So let me know what you think a little feed back would be much appreciated.