Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Breeches

Spillage

I cannot seem to be able to pour my wort into the fermenter without spilling some precious wort over the side :ohmy: . Each time I try harder but fail. I'm new to brewing but have been pouring liquids all my life, why is this so hard? The wort wants to stick to the pot even though there is a crisp edge. I need a pot with a pour spout (haven't seen those around) or I need a funnel, but both cost money and I have a very limited budget. If I buy a large funnel, I'll prolly need to sanitize it inside and out.

Is there a good solution?

Ya, spill it then suck ut up with a straw! none wasted, I hope!

Honestly, I always manage to spill alittle too...And Ive noticed the slower I pour, the worse it gets, so I stopped trying so hard and started pouring it in as fast as I could, and I dont lose very much at all..
btw, Welcome to the collective!

Yes, there have been a few here that are "pour" challenged. They invested in the funnel. I've just never had that problem. I pour towards me so I can see exactly how fast it's coming out, and where it's going. If you want, you could sanitize something to be used as a dipper that is a size you can manage. :stout:

I guess you could give the wort a really good stir right before you pour, to try and incorporate and liquefy as much as you can so it doesn't stick to the sides. Otherwise, sounds like a funnel may in order.

another option that I use on my larger batches...
I stir the pot really well, get that little vortex going so that all the "hop and other" chunks go to the center of the pot. Then I use my siphon to drain from the pot. Leave your pot up high, your MB Keg low, and do it that way.
This pic is from a 5 gallon car boy, but the principal is the same...
041810mixedB001.jpg

I spilled a little on my first couple batches too. I have since bought a pot with a pour spout, and that made all the difference for me.

I know that you said funds are limited. I understand. Good luck.

Scott D

+1 on yankeedag's suggestion of pouring toward you. It seems everything is on a more even keel that way. I also use a very large pot, much larger than what you might think would work for the 2.1 or so gallons in a Mr. Beer-sized batch. But the larger capacity means I can swirl the wort around so there isn't much syrupy stuff sunk to the bottom. And you can sort of gauge the pour a little better.

The main problem I have with funnels is that you still have to pour consistently (and slowly, which is difficult) or else stop and start a number of times so you don't get overflow.

I'm sticking with the huge brew pot and pouring it toward myself. Only had one incident of minor spillage so far.

oops...thought this was about BP at first. anyway...

yeah...usually if you overthink it, you're going to spill. do it and quick.

yankeedang...it looks like you're running a meth lab...sweet!

I used to spill when pouring because the wort was running down the side of the pot and missing the keg. I put the keg in the sink and set it at an angle. Pour the wort towards the top of the hole, pour it fast, and most that pours down the side of the pot hits in the bottom of the opening. Still get a little bit of spillage, but not enough to worry about.

My pot has two handles and I pour towards me. I've found a fairly quick pour keeps pot dribble to a minium. The only times I spilled was when I think too much and pour too slowly. :)

yankeedag wrote:

another option that I use on my larger batches...
I stir the pot really well, get that little vortex going so that all the "hop and other" chunks go to the center of the pot. Then I use my siphon to drain from the pot. Leave your pot up high, your MB Keg low, and do it that way.
This pic is from a 5 gallon car boy, but the principal is the same...
041810mixedB001.jpg

Yankeedag, I think you've got a drinking problem;
"2 beers and only 1 mouth"

I started with a 1 gallon pot and had the same problem went to a 3 gallon pot and problem solved

You should try pouring from a pot into one of my one gallon jugs. :blink:

I just sanitize two measuring cups. I use a small one to dip and then pour that into a larger one. Then pour from there into my jugs. I set everything close together and hold the small one over the pot as I empty the big one into the jug. Heh, it works for me.

[Off Topic]
Where did you find the cool conical fermenter, yankeedag?
041810mixedB001.jpg
[/Off Topic]

I do the old scoop method till it's down the the last bit then I can pour the rest in easily.

I used to struggle with splashing and spilling wort.

I found that a dollar store plastic funnel (sanitized of course) and a quick steady pour (not too fast so it doesn't overflow but not too slow so you keep an even flow) works perfect. Past couple batches didn't waste a drip. I stop pouring when it gets to the sludge at the bottom unless I'm pouring through a strainer.

This works great or MB size batches with a full wort boil. No top off water. Now, when I get to 5 gallon batches, I'll have to do what yankeedag showed with the siphon.

Don't cry over spilled wort. Pour high, the stream will be smaller. Be confident and just do it. :)

On my first batch, I used a 2 QT. aluminum pot with straight sides, no lip. That caused about 3/4 cup to end up on the counter because the wort ran down the side. Before I did my next batch I went to Target and got a stainless 4 QT. pot with double handles but more importantly; it has a pronounced rolled out lip at the top. This makes the wort flow off the lip instead of running down the side of the pot. I can now pour as fast or as slow as I want and not one drop misses the opening of the fermenter.

Timbier wrote:

I nominate Yankeedag for brewer of the month!

He was BOM a while back ;)

I got a funnel from the mr beer brew club that works well for mr.beer size batches. I also have a 8 inch funnel that I can use for my 5 gal carboy.

Most correct bigd, I was. Long ago. I think the feed is vaporized for looking back toooooo far. But thanks Timbier. It's time for the others to have their days of Glory. I've had mine. :stout: