Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blatzman

Have you named your "brewery"

What do you guys call your brewery? (if you have a name)

My wife thought of mine and the slogan that goes with it:

The Name: "Deuce Brewing Company"

The slogan: "We're Brewin' a Deuce For You!"

:P

Think I should change it to: "Nong Brewery ~ Liquid Tard", and then just put the name of the particular "tard juice" in the bottle? :stout:

Or just "Nong Brewery ~ Tard Juice"

Since Beaver Creek runs thru our farm I went with "Beaver Creek Brewery". My friends want me to make up T shirts with a logo but that seems kinda spendy.

Hmmm....a slogan that has something to do with Beavers could be quite interesting.

Hat Trick Brewing for me....scored a hat trick with my kids which are triplets so it fits.

Rock Chalk Brewery is the name. I'm a Kansas Jayhawk alumni, played football there and have loved the school since I can remember.

I am leaning toward Po Po Archer Brewery.

"Brewing with a straight shaft since 2009."

Went with "Hop King Brewing"

I'm a big time hophead always trying to make the hoppiest beer that challenges the palate but tastes amazing.

Slogan...well I haven't really thought of one honestly :laugh:

Here's a snapshot of some of my Fat Stinky Cat Imperial IPA that was bottled (sadly all gone) with the Hop King Brewing logo my lovely wife created for me since she's a professional graphic artist by trade B) Cheers! 004-20100531.JPG

Dicks Manfish Brewing... named after a couple friends, Richard and Mahesh (who we call Manfish). We sometimes go by, and will probably switch to, just Manfish Brewing. :)

Pirate's Bay Brewing.

Timmmaaayyy has all 5 top scores on the PotC pinball in his garage.

Darkly Microbrew for me. Comes from an old nickname I used to have....

Roadkill Brewery. Goes with the whole truck driving thing.
Friend of mine is designing a label with a semi truck running over several generic red and white beer cans.

I've brewed under three names

Bennett Brothers Brewery - Brewed and Bottled by Bennetts, when I brewed with my brother and bottled with my wife back in 07 at a brew on premise

Bennett Brewing, in 08 at the same brew on premise store with my wife

Currently I'm brewing under SNB Brewing

beerfanfrombuffalo wrote:

Nine Lives Brewery

"Ass Lickin Good Beer"

Suddenly, I *don't* want a beer :laugh:

Mine?
Black Belt Brewing
"If the beer doesn't kick your ass, I will"

Smuckers Dew Brew with a name like Smuckers it has to be good!

There was a huge thread on this about 3 months ago, at least. But hey, i'm all for reposting all this stuff again.

I started with Rabbits Home Brewery, Helping people get lucky since 2010.

Than I switched for a month to Bowlers Edge Brewery but didn't like the switch and went back to the original one. I had so many people who loved my first label and picture that I went back to it.

Need to figure out another type of label or printer to use for them though. When I put my beers in a cooler with ice the ink runs since its all printed up on an inkjet printer. Thinking of finding some type of clear coat I can put over the label after I stick it on but will come off after using it.

Eastfork Brewery since I live along the east fork of the Sinnamahoning creek, which is in Potter County, Pa., which is known as "God's Country" so the slogan is "A lil' bit o' heaven in every bottle"

O'Driscoll Nanobrewery, in deference to my Irish forebears. With 2.14 gallon batches, I think the "nano" modifier applies. :cheers:

docpd wrote:

O'Driscoll Nanobrewery, in deference to my Irish forebears. With 2.14 gallon batches, I think the "nano" modifier applies. :cheers:

I love the 'nano' reference and I think I'll start using that myself.
It'll be fun to tell people that I run my own nano-brewery!

Kealia wrote:

docpd wrote:

I love the 'nano' reference and I think I'll start using that myself.
It'll be fun to tell people that I run my own nano-brewery!

I referred to myself as a nano-brewery, and thought I was pretty clever, but then found out that there is actually a class of commercial breweries known as nano-breweries.

Listen to: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/621 it is pretty interesting.

My brewery name, by the way is Sheppy Brew. Don't really have a slogan, but I guess I'll have to come up with one.

Alpha and Omega Brewery

"A guaranteed religious experience in every bottle."

Greetings Brewer.....I am the owner and Brewer at Beaver Creek Brewery in Wibaux, MT. Our Brewery has been in existance since 2007. All names associated with such are ours as they are copyrighted. Please do not print or rather, manufacture any items with logos or slogans refering to Beaver Creek Brewery.

Thanks and Cheers.....

Sandon Stinnett
Brewer/Owner
Beaver Creek Brewery LLC

gotbeer wrote:

Greetings Brewer.....I am the owner and Brewer at Beaver Creek Brewery in Wibaux, MT. Our Brewery has been in existance since 2007. All names associated with such are ours as they are copyrighted. Please do not print or rather, manufacture any items with logos or slogans refering to Beaver Creek Brewery.

Thanks and Cheers.....

Sandon Stinnett
Brewer/Owner
Beaver Creek Brewery LLC

What the hell brought that on?

Guest System Admin

gotbeer wrote:

Thanks and Cheers.....

Sandon Stinnett
Brewer/Owner
Beaver Creek Brewery LLC

That is some FUNNY :laugh: Shit.

I have yet to come up with a clever name for the brewery.

G

Guest System Admin

Name it Beaver's Creek Brewery.

That guy needs to get a life. This is Mr Beer for Crise sake.

Guest System Admin

how about

yrewerb keerc revaeb

LOL

In defense of the guy who posted to stop the use of Beaver Creek Brewery, he has no choice. He must defend his trademarks, copyrights, etc. If he doesn't, he risks losing them. The wording he used is probably what was given to him by his lawyer(s) to use in defending his rights.

If he lets somebody use his brewery's name for a home brew and that home brewer branches out and starts to sell his beer, the original Beaver Creek Brewery would have no recourse since he had already allowed it.

There are many names that are now generic terms that were once trademarked or copyrighted, but fell into public domain because the owners let others use them. Aspirin is probably the most famous example.

How do you think Inbev would react if you posted that you were going to name your home brewery Busch?

And adding an apostrophe is not going to change things. That's still too similar. Spelling it backward isn't very likely to past muster either.

Even though it may seem unfair, "our" Beaver Creek brewer needs to come up with a new name.

bpgreen wrote:

In defense of the guy who posted to stop the use of Beaver Creek Brewery, he has no choice. He must defend his trademarks, copyrights, etc. If he doesn't, he risks losing them. The wording he used is probably what was given to him by his lawyer(s) to use in defending his rights.

If he lets somebody use his brewery's name for a home brew and that home brewer branches out and starts to sell his beer, the original Beaver Creek Brewery would have no recourse since he had already allowed it.

There are many names that are now generic terms that were once trademarked or copyrighted, but fell into public domain because the owners let others use them. Aspirin is probably the most famous example.

How do you think Inbev would react if you posted that you were going to name your home brewery Busch?

And adding an apostrophe is not going to change things. That's still too similar. Spelling it backward isn't very likely to past muster either.

Even though it may seem unfair, "our" Beaver Creek brewer needs to come up with a new name.

I agree.

I do think Beaver Creek Brewery could have sent a PM and handled it a little better though. This is a site based on home brewing with batch sizes of a little more than 2 gallons. Come on. I do see his point and his name is being infringed on. Would it be that hard to email the Mr. Beer brewer and explain the name is already copyrighted?

I think the best piece of advice I can offer you guys ho want to name your brewery is to google the name you came up with and see if it is taken.

Tabrewsco

Names of some brews:
Tommy's Perle Ale
Tommy's IPA
Tommy's Stout
Tabascamarillo
Tabastout
Young's Ale

Ususally I just call it say "batch 62". heh heh.

I'm trying to come up with a "brewery" name, too - if only to have it on my labels.
But I'm a big fan of custom stuff, and there are places that will make you coasters or even pub glasses custom-printed with your logo.
That does get pricey, but earlier in this thread, someone was saying that their friends wanted them to do T-shirts with the brewery name/logo.

An inexpensive and easy way to do this is on CafePress or Zazzle-- you upload the design for free, and can pick any of hundreds of products to put it on: hats, shirts, buttons, bumper stickers . .. all at no cost to you (to design).

Then your friends can order them, and they pay a pretty reasonable cost, too. You can order your own stuff at "cost" -- which is very reasonable. And you determine what the 'markup' is for everyone else to buy it. You get any profits. So, you can keep that really low if you're not interested in making any money, and they get your custom hats/shirts for not too much.

I did that for my kids' band last year; made all kinds of products, and the other parents/aunts/uncles/cousins/school friends ordered a ton. I split the 'proceeds' between the kids in the bad (it was about $20 each), and they thought it was killer.

Just a thought.

I go by the name of "Dick's Manfish Brewing" (jokingly named after 2 friends of mine, Richard & Mahesh, who we call Manfish) even though there is a Dick's Brewing about 30 minutes south of me that's been there for several years. Nothing has been said yet, but if there is, I will gladly change it to just "Manfish Brewing". I also know that as we grow, something will more than likely be said, so I am ready for that.

kedogn wrote:

...."Manfish Brewing"....

That has a nice ring to it. I could easily picture that on a label.

packerduf wrote:

kedogn wrote:

...."Manfish Brewing"....

That has a nice ring to it. I could easily picture that on a label.

Thanks! I already own the domain even...

"Manfish Brewing: Be A Man, Drink Like A Fish!" :)

Black Powder Brews, for the random reason that I came accross 2 really cool looking big historical old cans that say black powder on them, so I'll take a picture of those and slap em on a label.

gotbeer wrote:

Thanks and Cheers.....

Sandon Stinnett
Brewer/Owner
Beaver Creek Brewery LLC

Welcome Sandon Stinnett,

What is in your fermentor? Do you have any pics? Do you have any humorous brewing stories? How did you get started? We have lots of questions, got answers?

Keep posting

mxstar21 wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

I agree.

I do think Beaver Creek Brewery could have sent a PM and handled it a little better though. This is a site based on home brewing with batch sizes of a little more than 2 gallons. Come on. I do see his point and his name is being infringed on. Would it be that hard to email the Mr. Beer brewer and explain the name is already copyrighted?

I think the best piece of advice I can offer you guys ho want to name your brewery is to google the name you came up with and see if it is taken.

Sending an email to the individual poster wouldn't do it, methinks. IANAL, but isn't it better to make the announcement in a public forum, so there's an actual record of it, and there can be no dispute, should it come to a court decision?

I'm just askin'.

In the meantime, I'm gonna Google "Fedora Brauhaus" and see if I'm on solid ground.

Holy Shit! How do I get back all the t-shirts and mugs I've sold from my gift shop?

gophers6 wrote:

Holy Shit! How do I get back all the t-shirts and mugs I've sold from my gift shop?

What t-shirts and mugs? ;)

How about Beaver Creek Farms? OR would that upset them too? Maybe they can sue who-ever named the creek? Using a name of the creek going through your property is not refering to their brewery. Sounds anal. I live somewhat close to them and will not par-take of their brews. This is an amateur site, not a professional site of professional breweries that would give them competition. I wonder how long they have been using our recipies posted from here to tweek *their* brews??

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Sure, if I ever went commercial they would have a point. But a hobby brewer with a 2 gallon ferementor? What's a real brewery doing on here anyway, looking for ideas?

gophers6 wrote:

Sure, if I ever went commercial they would have a point. But a hobby brewer with a 2 gallon ferementor?

You cant really take the chance... if the roles were reversed, I am sure you would understand then.

gophers6 wrote:

Sure, if I ever went commercial they would have a point. But a hobby brewer with a 2 gallon ferementor? What's a real brewery doing on here anyway, looking for ideas?

Exactly my feelings. Must be pretty proud of themselves picking on a hobby guy. Maybe it makes him feel bigger than he is? From looking at *their* website, it looks like a very tiney bar in a very tiny town. I would have made a point of going there if they had not pulled this baloney. But it will never happen now.

kedogn wrote:

gophers6 wrote:

Sure, if I ever went commercial they would have a point. But a hobby brewer with a 2 gallon ferementor?

You cant really take the chance... if the roles were reversed, I am sure you would understand then.
It's also a point of copyright and trademark law. Some guy whose hobby is making jewelry for his family and friends would be making a terrible mistake calling his operation "Tiffany", even if he had a good reason for doing so.

I concede that it is rather stupid, but as far as points of law go, stupid often carries the day.

When my dad was in college (back in the '40s) he attended a relatively small and obscure university in Tennessee (Lincoln Memorial, for those of you who live in the area). He was editor of the school paper, and if he wrote a little article and said something seemingly innocuous like, "After the concert, a happy crowd of students retired to The Hunk Stand for burgers and cokes", he would actually get a letter from the Coca-Cola Company informing him that Coke was a registered trademark, and should be capitalized; otherwise he should use the term "sodas" or "colas".

Niggling behavior? Not if you're trying to establish or maintain a product name. They've paid for it, and they have a right to protect their investment, IMO.

gotbeer wrote:

Thanks and Cheers.....

Sandon Stinnett
Brewer/Owner
Beaver Creek Brewery LLC

so did this person go looking for trouble? how did they find this in our little community lol

I'm sure they did a Google search on their name. Note that this post comes back (though it is on the 5th page of the search). From my time working at Disney, I know that they have to aggressively defend their copyrights and logos. They got a huge amount of bad press going after day cares that used Mickey in their signage, etc., but they have to do this (this link gives a good explanation). Ball State just recently went through this as well (linky) when they found high schools using their trademarked logo...

It's not a matter of looking for trouble; it's a matter of staying on top of your own industry. If I were running a craft brewery, I would be keeping up to date on sites such as this, for any information that would help my concern in any way.

I just can't blame a small business for looking after their best interests. His post wasn't mean, it didn't get personal, it didn't threaten. It merely informed that the name was copyrighted and protected, and requested in a professional, businesslike manner, that their name no longer be used in an unauthorized way.

No harm, no foul.

swenocha wrote:

I'm sure they did a Google search on their name. Note that this post comes back (though it is on the 5th page of the search). From my time working at Disney, I know that they have to aggressively defend their copyrights and logos. They got a huge amount of bad press going after day cares that used Mickey in their signage, etc., but they have to do this (this link gives a good explanation). Ball State just recently went through this as well (linky) when they found high schools using their trademarked logo...

you know i never thought that and taking all that into consideration i completly understand.

anyways.........keeping with the thread my wife likes to use the name "brewbies". i love it.

I think this whole Beaver Creek thing is very silly. I'm also sure it's OK to use that name on your homebrew labels because they are not being sold to the public. No one will mistake your brew for his. There's a ton of names being re-used in Home Brewing. Like Phat Tire, Phat tyre, etc. Recipes are named after real beers all the time & sold that way too.
Tell him to sue you. There are no damages. You don't have to change the name. Beaver Creek lives!
You can also call it Beaver Kriek, Beever Creek, Beaver's Creek or even Leave It To Beaver's Creek if you are still worried.
BTW - I'm StoneHouseBrewery
:cheers:

I think his beef came when there was talk of printing t-shirts, but the amusing thing is that Gophers clearly stated that he wasn't intending to do the shirts.

They probably have a law firm on retainer that checks the web for "knockoffs" of their product. Beaver Creek might have had an incident in their past which would cause this type of vigilance. Either way, I'll drink BP's & Beaver Creeks beers! I love beer! :laugh:

swenocha wrote:

I think his beef came when there was talk of printing t-shirts, but the amusing thing is that Gophers clearly stated that he wasn't intending to do the shirts.

I made the wisecrack about the t-shirts and mugs after he came on here. Obviously if I ever tried to sell anything I legally wouldn't have a leg to stand on so I don't see what he's worried about.
And why didn't he PM me instead of embarrasing me in front of my friends? It was just by chance that I even looked at this thread and I would have never known there was a problem.

gophers6 wrote:

swenocha wrote:

I made the wisecrack about the t-shirts and mugs after he came on here. Obviously if I ever tried to sell anything I legally wouldn't have a leg to stand on so I don't see what he's worried about.
And why didn't he PM me instead of embarrasing me in front of my friends? It was just by chance that I even looked at this thread and I would have never known there was a problem.
No need to feel embarrassed, gopher. Nobody holds anything against you around here, I'm sure.

Water off a duck's back, man.

FedoraDave wrote:

gophers6 wrote:

No need to feel embarrassed, gopher. Nobody holds anything against you around here, I'm sure.

Water off a duck's back, man.

Exactly... nothing to be embarrassed about. I think that most (or all) of us are amused by the brewery and their action and not by anything that you did...

embarrassed? Why? can't think of any reason you should be...did I miss something? The guy just came on, said he copy writed the name, ok, fine... grab a new name... it's not like we all did a cyber search before we coined our name...

no need to be embarrassed...call your beer what you like. What's he going to do, go to your house and check your fridge to make sure you don't have any beer with "his" name on it?

As a matter o'fact, in a show of solidarity, I have decided to open up a new division of Fat Pete's Brewery and call it "The REAL Beaver Creek Brewery"...

I just won't tell him where it is! HA!

Wow, this thread took an interesting turn over the past couple of days.

:cheers:

I did a quick Google Search and it looks like my brewery name is fine. Some of my beer names are probably questionable, though. I've stolen names from the Chicago Blackhawks, New Belgium Brewery, Dr. Seuss, Colorado Rockies, the Little Rascals, and probably others. I never considered potential issues in world of copyright laws. I guess I can't go commercial until I work on my beer names. Seems like too much work, so I guess I will just stay a home-brewer. :woohoo:

I sure wouldn't worry too much about this, Gopher. I am sure the post was a CYA. Certainly no need to be embarrassed.

:chug:

What a bunch of thieving rebels we homebrewers are!

And look at all the un-approved avatars in use! :dry: B)

On a semi-related subject, I played in a Blues/Classic rock cover band back in the 90's. There was an agency I believed called The BMG that would go from club to club and warn the club owners that if they were hiring cover bands, they would either have to pay a fee or be fined because of them charging a cover charge at the door. It infringed on the copywrited music that us cover bands were playing. Very hinky if you ask me.

My brewery is called 'Screwy Brewer' and my current line of lager beers are named 'Spinning Monk Lagers'....no name for the ales yet...

Several years ago I shot a 50 pound beaver that was destroying trees on my property along Beaver Creek. I had him stuffed and he now resides in my man cave. He is like a mascot and adds to the fun when I have friends over for sampling. Do I have to get rid of him too?

Stuffed Beaver Brewery. It's good for what ales you.

You can use that, if you want, I haven't copyrighted it or anything. :dry:

I like that one. I think I will run quickly and copyright it!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

esheppy wrote:

I sure wouldn't worry too much about this, Gopher. I am sure the post was a CYA. Certainly no need to be embarrassed.

I agree. Copyright and licensing is a serious thing, and the companies who pay for their copyrights, no matter how big or small, are entitled to protect them, no matter the extent of the infraction.

Two examples:

I was mentioning this thread to my brother yesterday while we were watching the Bears/Eagles game, and he mentioned a high school in Indianapolis that uses a red devil as their mascot logo. Well, they copied the Duke logo and colored it red. And they got a letter from Duke stating that they couldn't use the Duke blue devil, even though they'd colored it red, and they needed to get a new logo. This is a HIGH SCHOOL! So anyway, they designed a new devil logo in-house, and then THEY copyrighted their design, so no other team or entity could use the logo, buy the copyright, and stop the original designers from using it. It's upscrewed, to be sure, but that's the way you have to think about these things.

The other example is my own. You may know I make my own barbecue sauce from scratch. It's good barbecue sauce, and I'm very protective of the recipe. I belong to an online barbecue community, and I actually had the opportunity to meet the guy who started it; he's pretty much my guru when it comes to 'cue. And in talking with him, he asked me why I hadn't posted my recipe on his board. Well, when I looked a little closer, I saw that they state any recipes posted on the board become the property of the board.

I'm not going to let them have it. I'm too protective of this recipe to just hand it over like that. I doubt I'll go to the extent of copyrighting it, but there's no way I'm going to give it away and let it be someone else's property.

FedoraDave wrote:

YOU haven't copyrighted it or anything, but "Good for what ales you" is the slogan of The Salt Lake Brewing Company/Squatter's Pub They have a trademark on it and they've had it for over 15 years. They sell clothing, mugs, etc with that slogan.

Zobl wrote:

R.I.P.
Leslie Nielsen

That's what's so much fun about having a stuffed beaver in the brewery. There's no end to the jokes, especially after a few home brews.

Zobl wrote:

What a bunch of thieving rebels we homebrewers are!

And look at all the un-approved avatars in use! :dry: B)

B)

Uh oh. Even though Oldsmobile is extinct, I'm sure they still own the rights, as well as Hurst inc. Not gonna lose any sleep over it. :whistle:

bpgreen wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

YOU haven't copyrighted it or anything, but "Good for what ales you" is the slogan of The Salt Lake Brewing Company/Squatter's Pub They have a trademark on it and they've had it for over 15 years. They sell clothing, mugs, etc with that slogan.

God I love squatter's

Oh- no I just got a call from WC Fields great grand daughter & I have to change my avatar. :laugh:
Plus I got Budweiser & Abbott & Costello on my ass for this brew. :P
The_Original_Bud-20101130.JPG

I would like to thank Blatzman for starting this thread 6 months ago. None of this would have happened without him. I hope he has the decency to come visit me in prison.