Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hurst/Olds

Favorite Mr Beer brews...

Straight up or modified, what is your favorite Mr Beer recipe? For me, it's a tie between Shameless Stout, and Sticky Wicket, both modified with steeping grains (thank you, Borg), brown sugar (thanks Dag), and maltodextrin (thanks Sheldoni). Both are complex, full of flavor, and very satisfying. :stout:

I absolutely love the IRISH stout !!! Made it many many times and always pleases .Besides, How can you go wrong with Irish Stout ?

1. Augsburg Dark + 3/4 cup honey
2. Snow Drift + steeping grains

Red Ale
Mellow Amber
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 oz Willamette hops

I have 2 favorites so far (7 batches into the hobby since Xmas).

Hop Head Red - Uses Bewitched Red Ale and Pale UME + Booster and hops (10 minute boil and 15 minute steep). I made another batch but added a can of Canadian draft in place of the booster.

Defrocked Monk - My take on the Wicket Monk (WM uses Pale UME while I added a Golden Wheat UME). BEST BREW SO FAR!!!

I also bought a 1.8kg can of Mutton's Wheat at the LHBS and added 1 oz Hallertau hops and the peel of one orange (plus the juice). I'm hoping this will be close to the Monk but I couldn't find whole coriander so I did without. I also experimented and added another liter of water to the keg since I was using a 1.8kg can. OG = 1.054

Bottle day is Friday or Saturday for this one.

Approx 2/3 to 1 cup honey was added to each of the brews listed in my previous post.

I apologize for the omission.

So far: Englishman's Nut Brown Ale

8 brews in (or is it nine now) and this one I've already done a second time (although I added a bit of DME and a new yeast this time around).

Straight up: ADIPA
Modified: ADIPA w/cascade & willamette hops & WCPA w/lime juice and some lime zest aka McLee's Cinco De Lime-O, which is currently on tap here at Dick's Manfish Brewing :)

My favorite to this point has been Otto's Oktoberfest. So far, I've just followed the recipe exactly. Going forward, I plan to make some adjustments to make it even better:
- beef it up with some extra malt
- do the Sterling hops in a boil instead of at flameout
- brew it as a lager when the weather cools down.

I have a feeling it will be even better by doing these things.

Of the straight up recipes, I'd still have to go way back to #3 and say Snow Drift Dark Lager. ADIPA was pretty good as well, but it is likely my favorite style, and I prefer more hop in my IPA. So far, GBCP is not bad either, though I think it still needs to grow up a touch. The only other straight recipe I've done is WCPA. Everything else I've either used Mr. B LME as a base, or used LHBS ingredients. The stout I did with St. Pat's and Creamy Brown (and a bunch o' other ingredients) would likely be my favorite Mr. B with add-ons recipe so far...

I think I found my housebrew...."May the schwartz bier with you" is now officially my favorite ! It is the taste I was looking for way back in the beginning. I will be brewing this recipe always.

Of my batchs I've done so far... Its a tie between Dark Wheat, and Scarlets Revenge Red Ale.
Dark Wheat was a simple MrB. WW HME, MW UME and a 1/4 cup of Molasses..
Scarlets Revenge was BRA HME, Amber UME, steeped grains and cascade hops...
Friends LOVED Dark Wheat, but the Scarlets Revenge was alittle strong flavor wise for my friends. (their loss, I drank almost all of it.)

Here are a few of my favs...Hop X I used WCPA/Northern Brewer/Glacier/Cascade hops/LME. My Smoked Porter I used Black Tower Porter/steeped Briess Smoked malt. Coconut Porter used BTP/coconut extract/muslin bag of fresh coconut. Pepper ale I used WCPA/3 jalepnos/3 habenaros. And last my Cherry Wheat brewed with marascino cherries.

I'm sure I'll be adding more when I get to drink the ones I have brewing.

The Dubliner. Awesome! As I mentioned in another thread, I made it to be ready for St. Patty's Day. Somehow I've managed to squirrel away a few bottles. I tried one a week or so ago. Damn that is good! Now I don't know how long I can keep away from it!

I also remember the Revolutionary Bitter being very good.

Linebacker Dopplebock with Mellow Amber and Cascade hops .5 oz at 20 min, and .5 oz at 7 min. I've already brewed a second batch of this one. Both Stickey Wicket and Shillelagh Stouts straight up are outstanding, too.

You guys are all over the place, It looks like a 32 way tie. I was hopeing to get some real good feedback from this thread. The one that sticks out though is the Irish Stout and the Sticky Wiket, God Bless!

At the moment, AD/IPA as is. I've grown fond of stouts lately and a batch of Sticky Wicket is carbing at the moment. I think it'll be a 2-way tie in a few weeks. :P

Mad Dog IPA straight up, no mods and wait the time it says 2-3 months. And using Mr. Beer yeast.

Seems like every new batch gets better every time loved witty monk.
then nutty brown ale was great, then the sticky wicket outmeal stout
is the best now. Have not tatsed my chocolate coverd cherries still carbing/cond.With so many to choose from where do we go from here.
Love Trying and making new beers.Pilothouse pilsner is pretty good 2.
SOOOO sticky wicket for now thats my story and im sticking wicket to it.... :gulp: :stout: :stout: :woohoo: Make more beer

Brew Ha Ha Bock, modified with DME to replace the booster.

Of all the MrBeer brews we've done, only the Irish Red would I not brew again.

Strict Mr. Beer Recipe:

German Hefeweizen

Loved it and followed it to the T, my dad and brother-in-law liked as well.

Favorite with a little tweak:

Witty Monk w/ .5 oz. Centennial and .5 lb. Caramel 10 grains steeped)

So awesome!!! I killed that batch quick, but have another coming in a few months.

Guest System Admin

I plunked down the $50 and bought the Novacaine recipe from the Mr. Beer website. Last weekend I brewed up the batch following the instructions to the tee. It's my first attempt at brewing a barley wine and I won't be drinking it until at least February 2011 after it's had plenty of conditioning time.

The Screwy Brewer

It seems like each new batch becomes a favorite! I bottled a modified Red Ale today, 2 cans BRA, 1 lb amber DME, 1 cup brn sugar, and seriously hopped with Centennial and Citra. Tasted GREAT. OF the fully conditioned brews, I think I like the Irish (Shillelagh) Stout recipe the best. Drinking one right now. :P

Guest System Admin

I brewed up a batch of Wicked Monk in May 2010 and added the following adjuncts to it....

1 Teaspoon Crushed Coriander Seed
1 Crushed Clove
1 Rind From Small Orange (Strips, remove white from rind)
1 Teaspoon lemon zest
1 Teaspoon Crushed Grains of Paradise Seed

...it won't be ready to drink until at least October 2010.

The Screwy Brewer

Out of the 14 batches we've brewed so far, two were outstanding:
Englishmans Nut Brown, Pilothouse Pilsner
& I've really liked 12 out of the 14 we made so far.
2 were just... well just okay for me.
Regards,
smooth

Guest System Admin

Let me try to guess, the 2 you didn't really like had to be the West Coast Pale Ale w/Booster™ and possibly the Cowboy Golden Lager w/Pale Export.

The Screwy Brewer

I like the Englishman's Nut Brown, also the Cowboy Golden Lager plus Creamy Brown Ume fermented with US-05 yeast from Mr Beer is very nice.

Guest System Admin

Yesterday we got to drink the Mayfield's Message I brewed in the beginning of May and it really tasted good. The addition of 1 1/2 ounces of brewed espresso and 1/2 teaspoon of Mocha Powder to each 1 litre bottle added just the right hints of coffee and chocolate to an already good tasting beer.

The Screwy Brewer

My favorite so far that I've done has been ADIPA with 1/2 pound of goden light DME (not a huge hop head). Its the first one where I have thought I would make it again.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

I plunked down the $50 and bought the Novacaine recipe from the Mr. Beer website. Last weekend I brewed up the batch following the instructions to the tee. It's my first attempt at brewing a barley wine and I won't be drinking it until at least February 2011 after it's had plenty of conditioning time.

The Screwy Brewer

Have you tried one yet Screwy ?