Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jconnon

How old is to old?

I had started a thread a couple of days ago called "Bad Yeast".
I contacted the company that I bought the product from which was Cooking.com through Amazon.com. My complaint was that I had purchased a 3 refill variety pack from them and when I received it was about 2 1/2 years old. I wrote them and their response was that Mr Beer gives them a three year freshness guarantee. I forward that email to customer service at Mr Beer. Does that sound accurate that three years should be ok? I cant imagine the yeast would be good at that point. It just seems to long to me but I am new at this so maybe I am wrong.

Jeff

Mixes should good but get some fresh yeast.

I just started brewing again and several of my mixes expired in '08 and '09 and they turned out fine, I just used new yeast with them.

3 year gaurantee sounds like bs.....

The best way to tell if it's still viable would be to mix up a starter culture and see if it reacts.

Add 1/4 cup Grape Nuts to 1 cup boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap until room temp, then sprinkle the yeast over the top. In one to four hours you should be seeing foam forming on the top.

If you get a positive result, brew your beer. Pour the yeast mixture through a strainer and pitch as normal.

Notes and disclaimers:
I've never used Grape Nuts, only read about it on the forums.
Any whole grain, non sugar coated cereal should work.
I have some Red Star Baking yeast in the freezer that is well over 3 years old and is still viable. I DO NOT use it for baking, just pour two tablespoons or so into my septic system every month.