Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jeffg

Conditioning in a keg

Ok, I finally finished putting my kegerator together (so cool, should have done it much earlier!) and have a question. For most of the "big" beers Mr. B calls for conditioning times that vary from 2 to 6 months or longer. Normally, I would bottle, add my Cooper's drops and let the bottles sit, how do I do it with the keg?

For the Belgian Tripple, my first kegerator beer, I fermented then poured into the keg, injected some CO2 and purged the air out. I let the keg sit for a week then attached it to the CO2 tank at about 9.5 psi and put it in the fridge. It seems to have come out fine, but would this procedure work for a beer with longer conditioning time?

Thanks!

Jeff

I don't keg but from what I understand, once you purge the oxygen and replace it with CO2 it can sit in the keg and age for a long time. Probably for as long if not longer than what you can age a beer in bottles.

once I put them in the Keg, I pressurize them, purge the oxygen out, and repressurize. I try to let them sit a while...normally with little success. I have a batch of double IPA at the moment that's survived a week without being tapped into. I'm leaving at room temp. When I get weak, I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
I will be getting a double batch of B Tripple next order, it is going to get "kegged".

We only have the two Corney kegs, so anything that takes any time beyond secondary to condition will go in bottles.

Right now we have a very wicked Imperial IPA (AKA: The Syrup) and a nice light brew on tap.
The light brew is a bit mild for me so I start with a glass of the IPA and then mix 50/50 for the second.

crazybrody wrote:

I don't keg but from what I understand, once you purge the oxygen and replace it with CO2 it can sit in the keg and age for a long time. Probably for as long if not longer than what you can age a beer in bottles.

+1 it is what I do/will be doing with my IPA that will get kegged next week and a few more batches not that long after that :)