Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gymrat

Jalapeno Beer

I brewed up a Mr Beer size batch of Jalapeno beer. I veined and seeded 5 jalapenos, put them in a hop sack, and boiled for 15 minutes, then removed them. When I put the beer in my hydrometer it was kind of green. I am really hoping I didn't overdo.

Recipe was
2 lbs Briess Pilson DME
1 lb Briess Wheat DME
1/2 oz Mt Hood Hops for one hour
5 very coarsly chopped jalapenos boiled 15 minutes.

OG 1.062

if, after you test the first bottle, we don't hear from you again, shall we assume you burned up?

Since you got the pith and seeds out, I think it won't be that hot. Keep us posted. :chug:

When I did my Fire and Ice I "dry hopped" my jalapenos. I left the seeds in three peppers and it turned out pretty hot. I'm thinking since you got the seeds out, I'm guessing you'll just have a little flavor to it but not much heat. I also think your colors will blend a little more and you'll end up with a darker than amber beer, but it won't be green. Keep us posted on it.

Love peppers IMG_5062.JPG

Day 9 of warm conditioning, I thought I would try it on a couple of Czech Pilsner. Tempted to cool this one off.

I just had to know so I poured a little in a cup and took a sip. It was very sweet of course..but there was no heat. It did have a very nice jalapeno flavor.

I was thinking about calling this Fire in the Sphincter Ale. But I don't think that name is going to fit now.

How about Arse burning Ale?...Or After burner Ale? Blue Flame bum Ale? Wait! I gotta drink more coffee...

How about Is That A Pepper in Your Bottle, Or Are You Just Happy To See Me. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Ok this is just a follow up on the chilli beer. It's all gone! It was very good and hot! I droped 1 ceranto pepper in each beer, I did this with a grand Bohimiam pilsner brew. Before dropping the pepper I soaked it in mr beer no-rinse cleaner for 10 minutes. I wanted to condition for 1 month but fell short of that by a week. Note: the pepper was starting to sink after 3 weeks of conditioning, The best part of this way is you can do it with any brew you like!

Timbier wrote:

Love peppers IMG_5062.JPG

Day 9 of warm conditioning, I thought I would try it on a couple of Czech Pilsner. Tempted to cool this one off.

My oldest boy loves hot peppers . He ate the hottest peppers at the QUAKER STATE AND LUBE restaurant the Atomic flavor. I bet he would like this brew of yours?

Just a thought to consider for capturing both the heat and flavor of peppers in your next batch you might want to try slicing the peppers up and putting them inside a sanitized muslin hop sack. Leaving the hop sack inside the fermenter until your bottling day should give the pepper flavors enough time to heat up the brew.

Adding in a teaspoon full of crushed or ground 'Grains of Paradise' is sure to turn up the warming factor as well. Anyhow, good luck with your brew it sounds like a really interesting recipe for those who like their beer hot.

Screwy Brewer

Dudley wrote:

My oldest boy loves hot peppers . He ate the hottest peppers at the QUAKER STATE AND LUBE restaurant the Atomic flavor. I bet he would like this brew of yours?

You might introduce your oldest to Thai food and the Thai standard of heat. My wife orders it that way. Also the Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce.