Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rabbit

No Activity Yet

So I brewed up my American IPA recipe, late wednesday night, and I still have no activity. This is my first 5 gallon batch and the first time i'm using a bucket, in which has a screw top lid that locks shut and a air lock. I rehydrated my yeast, Safale S-05, in about a cup of water @ 85-90 degrees. I'm used to my batch being quite active by the 24-36 hour mark. Maybe since its a 5 gallon batch it takes a little longer to get moving?

I still have no activity coming from the airlock. No bubbles at all that i've noticed. Is S-05 yeast a slow starter? Could the airlock or lid not be fully secured? I literally can't tighten the lid any farther and the rubber gromet is in as far as possible. I jammed the airlock in as far as that would go as well.

When I poured in the water to the airlock I left the plastic piece over the hole and filled the water in over the plastic piece until it reached the water level.

I'm probably paranoid since its my first 5 gallon batch in something other than a Mr. Beer keg. Everything seems to be done correctly in my eyes but maybe i'm overlooking something.

Any ideas?

Maybe you killed the yeast pitching it in water that was too hot? Or it was bunk to begin with? :( I hope it gets going if not, get more yeast. You will still have a good beer on your hands in the end. :chug:

I agree with dpip. If it isn't doing anything in 48 hours
Go yeast young man, go yeast.

It turned the water a litle creamy. Not really creamy but definately an opaque color.

The temp of the water was definately not too hot. It was under 90 degrees and yeast can take upwards of 110. I rehydrated by ways of John Palmers book.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

Mine looked like the cup on the left. I did not proof the yeast as most yeast now a days don't tend to have the issue of being too old and dead. Especially at my LHBS that I got it at. They don't carry a large inventory so they are always ordering new yeast.

The store is closed on sundays so I think I will go tomorrow to get another packet of yeast and pitch it if I don't see any activity before tomorrow morning.

I've used the S-04 and it is a very fast starter, which i expected this one to be as well.

Hopefully when I get home from my birthday dinner tonight i'll have a nice surprise waiting for me..... ACTIVITY!

Happy Birthday Mr. Rabbit,

Those little airlock thingy's are notorious liars. :unsure:

Before you do anything pull it out and do a visual. :dry:

I would wager you have fermentation that will lead to beer. :woohoo:

+1 on not using the airlock as a measurement of fermentation on a bucket.. the lid could just not be sealed very well, enough to let pressure escape, bypassing the airlock completely.

konuas wrote:

+1 on not using the airlock as a measurement of fermentation on a bucket.. the lid could just not be sealed very well, enough to let pressure escape, bypassing the airlock completely.

I'm almost 100% positive that is the case. I shine a flashlight through the back of the bucket to get a visual of the brew level. I started it at 5 gallons and it is showing "liquid" (assuming Krausen) well above my 5 gallon marker level. So there is definately activity.

Should I do anything with the lid or airlock so that the pressure isn't going through the lid? Or just let it be and it will be fine? I'm worried that once the pressure subsides that oxygen will be able to get back in since the seal isn't great.

P.S. Thanks for the birthday wishes. 27 years old, another 2 more birthdays than I stop keeping track.

Just peaked my head into the airlock hole after removing the rubber stopper and there is LOTS of Krausen. All good on the 5 gallon brew front.

Thanks for the words of calming.

Although this does bother me..... i want to figure out why its not sealing properly and fix that. I might have to go back to the brew store and tell the guy about the issue and get a snap lid instead of a screw lid. He convinced me to get the screw lid becuase he said it sealed better than the snap lids.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTT!!!

The CO2 you are creating will dissplace the O2. The CO2 will pool atop the brew and protect it from the O2. I would not fret over the airlock thingy. They are nice to watch when they work, but a slacker will not hurt your brew.

I probably did screw it on too tight. I loosened it and screwed it back on. Its got a clicking locking mechanism on the lid so it keeps it locked in place. You have to push the tab back in to loosen the lid.

Who knows at this point. There is krausen, henceforth beer, so RDWHAHB is what i'm going with.

I think that the screw on lid would be better. The snap-on ones are cheap, though, so get one and try it to see if you like it better. I've got one of the snap-on ones and it is a major PITA to get on and off. It wouldn't be fun to have to take off mid-ferment to add hops or other ingredients. I think you'll still get enough CO2 pressure in your fermenter to keep the bad stuff out when using the screw-on lid.