Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
linguini

Wally World Slimline-Bottling Wand

Hey Borg bretheren,

I got a couple of slimline containers from Wallyworld and used one last night as secondary for bottling. However, I remember reading several comments that the wand fits the spigot on the slimline. I tried and tried to get the wand into the spigot and it didn't work. How are you guys getting it to connect? :dry:

linguini wrote:

Hey Borg bretheren,

I got a couple of slimline containers from Wallyworld and used one last night as secondary for bottling. However, I remember reading several comments that the wand fits the spigot on the slimline. I tried and tried to get the wand into the spigot and it didn't work. How are you guys getting it to connect? :dry:

It's a tight fit, but it fits. Try rotating it as you push it in.

I don't have the Mr. B wand, so mine doesn't fit. If you have a problem with yours, you could use the method that I do... and that is connect it with some plastic tubing...

swenocha wrote:

I don't have the Mr. B wand, so mine doesn't fit. If you have a problem with yours, you could use the method that I do... and that is connect it with some plastic tubing...

That's what I did; I bought an Ale Pail with Italian spigot from an online brew supplier, and then found my bottling wand was the exact same size; no way to attach it without a kludge of some kind. But the right size plastic tubing, and it's right as rain. Just a few cents at Lowe's.

The wand that came with my ale pail and the wand from MB are identical and "ain't no way" either of them are squeezing into the slimline. I'll get some tubing today so I can bottle batch #3 tonight.......and maybe start #4 lol! :cheers:

I reamed the spigot out on the slim line with a knife just enough to get the wand to start. It is tight but it does work.

Really dumb question - what is the Slimline? I did a quick google search and all that came up at Wal Mart was PCs. Curious minds...

Water containers that you could set in the fridge. I use them for water, and also clarifying beer.

I also had to ream mine out a bit, worked great. Now since I am doing a lot of 5 or 6 gallon batches & wine I bought the Ale Pail with a ported lid. It can multi task as a frementer!

swenocha wrote:

SlimlineFridgeJug_l.jpg

The larger of those is 2.5 gallons, which is a perfect size for batch priming.

Thanks, guys! Those do look like they'd be perfect for batch priming. Does the spigot lock on those things?

Yankeedag, you use yours as a secondary fermenter?

The one I have locks. The pic appears to be a slightly different spigot than mine, so your mileage may vary. I noticed at Wally that you can now get them in cool summer colors, but none of the colors appeared to be dark enough to make any difference if you try it as a fermenter (I personally haven't done that)...

Carboys are clear. Just keep them out of bright light. Brew City, I believe Yankeedag cold crashes with the slimline.

any "vampire" container gets the dark treatment by me. I'll use the 2.5 slimline for cold crashing as it gets put in the dark. :stout:

My wheels got turning (always scary) wondering if this would work as a secondary. If I would use it as a secondary, it would be for some lager batches that I am going to try, so sunlight wouldn't be a huge issue. The Mr. Beer keg is just a little too big for my dorm fridge and takes up quite a bit of space in my beverage fridge. This may be just the ticket. My other option is to do a slightly smaller batch in the MB keg and divide the secondary up into two 1 gallon glass jugs. Hmmm.

I actually like the design of the slimline as a bottling bucket better than the Mr Beer keg. I always hate how high up the spigot is on the MB keg - that last bit of goodness is always tough to get out of there. It's great for keeping the trub out, but when there isn't any trub for batch priming, that is where the beer is lost. What are your thoughts on that aspect, for those of you using it to bottle? Is it easier to get all of the beer out?

I may have to make like Clark W. Griswold and head to Wally World.

My brewing setup is turning into the weirdest mish-mash of materials. Ha ha!

One note on batch priming with these: You need to have the lid a little loose to allow airflow. Otherwise it'll flow really slowly.

You can use these to brew as long as you either keep them in the dark or don't use any hops (like the no hop beer recipe crazybrody posted recently). One caveat is that you'll need to do something to allow the CO2 to escape. You could drill a hole in the lid and add an airlock or cut notches like the Mr Beer fermenters and rely on the CO2 to keep the O2 out.

yankeedag wrote:

any "vampire" container gets the dark treatment by me. I'll use the 2.5 slimline for cold crashing as it gets put in the dark. :stout:

I guess that's what I meant... not that it couldn't be used, but that it would need to be in the dark...

I just don't need any Pepee la pew in a bottle... the wife says I'm enough of a stinker already...

bpgreen wrote:

One note on batch priming with these: You need to have the lid a little loose to allow airflow. Otherwise it'll flow really slowly.

You can use these to brew as long as you either keep them in the dark or don't use any hops (like the no hop beer recipe crazybrody posted recently). One caveat is that you'll need to do something to allow the CO2 to escape. You could drill a hole in the lid and add an airlock or cut notches like the Mr Beer fermenters and rely on the CO2 to keep the O2 out.

Why no hops? Are you just referring to the sunlight with the hops?

taking a stab at it here, but when you add the "dry" hops, it tends to knock some of the co2 out of the brew. just a guess mind you.
on the other side of this, yes, I leave the lid real loose on the slimline while in the cold conditioning mode

I have works great! Just keep in a cool dark place, remember carboys are clear.

Thanks to the advice of BPGreen I was able to force my bottling wand into my slimline bottling container. Push and twist worked for me too'

Gracias, Senior Green

Brew City wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Why no hops? Are you just referring to the sunlight with the hops?

Hops create a skunky smell when they're exposed to light (get a bottle of Grolsch and set it out in the sunlight for an hour, then chill it and open it to see what I mean). Many clear or green bottled beer will have this, sometimes it's already that way when you buy it (fluorescent lighting will do that, too).

The no hops comment I made is in reference to a recipe crazybrody posted for a beer that used orange zest for the bitterness and didn't use any hops.

Right, I just wanted to make sure. I wasn't sure if you were had another reason that the hops wouldn't work with the slimline bottles like a chemical reaction or some crazy reason.

I didn't know that florescent light affected them, too.

Brew City wrote:

I actually like the design of the slimline as a bottling bucket better than the Mr Beer keg. I always hate how high up the spigot is on the MB keg - that last bit of goodness is always tough to get out of there. It's great for keeping the trub out, but when there isn't any trub for batch priming, that is where the beer is lost. What are your thoughts on that aspect, for those of you using it to bottle? Is it easier to get all of the beer out?

Yes, I know what you mean. What I do is just prop up the Mr Beer fermenter with something in the fridge so when i go to bottle it after cold crashing its already rested, and slanting towards the spigot. I have never used a slimline tho. I just put an order in for a second mr keg. I like those

The MB keg is cute and all (selling point). I would like it even more if it were closer to the Slimline design. It fits better for storage in the fermenting stage.

yankeedag wrote:

The MB keg is cute and all (selling point). I would like it even more if it were closer to the Slimline design. It fits better for storage in the fermenting stage.

True. I wish the Slimeline had a wide mouth opening like the MB keg - so cleaning would be easier!

smokediver3zero wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

True. I wish the Slimeline had a wide mouth opening like the MB keg - so cleaning would be easier!

hint: they could sell (on line) a redesigned (slimline style) keg on line. Make it look like an oversized Six'er or something, or beer in a box. Final designe to be produced by those that get the cha-ching for it. :huh: :flush:

yankeedag wrote:

Have you fermented wit a slimline yet? or just as a secondary?

Also reading comments on the slimlines (walmart website) people complained that they crack easy. The plastic Mr Beer uses seems to be a lot more flexible.

Are the Mr Beer fermenter's made of the same material better bottles are? hydrophobic? and what about the slimlines

I have two Slimlines as my secondaries right now in the temp controled fridge. I just used my dremel to make some notches to let the CO2 escape. Looks like it is going pretty good so far, the head space is a little bit of an issue, but not too big of a deal to not use them for these two lagers. Guess I will know in another month plus.