Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Timbier

Oyster Beer!

Sounds good, I've got a couple of 8oz cans of oysters or should I try the fancy smoked oysters? could it be done? Does meat ferment? I thinks it will be better in a pale ale! Please comment.

It's been done before, apparently in stouts. Looks like putting them (shell and all) in a grain bag and adding them to the boil for 15 min is the process. Then you have the boiled oysters for dinner...

The other method (shucking 'em and throwing them into the boil) appears to have worked as well, though it won't leave you oysters for dinner. "The oysters, she reported, disintegrated in the hot liquid, leaving behind a little protein and enhancing the beer's body and mouth feel. They also added a mineral-like quality to the Guinness-style stout."

They use 1.5 to 4 oysters per barrel though... so I'm not sure how you would want to break it down to a homebrew sized batch...

No its REAL good....Harpoon did a great job on it. You don't get the oyster taste but you get the brine....salty. Its very unique but good, if you can get a hold of a bomber or growler...go for it, its worth it!

I'm up for giving almost anything a taste just to see. But, oyster beer? I suppose I would try it. Definately taste test before I would attempt to brew that.

EEEWWWWW!!! :X I just threw up in my mouth! Never in a million years would I taste or brew that. I just keep asking myself, why? Just drink a good beer with the oysters. But brew them, let ferment and then drink? It's salty, it's briney... dude, call Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods to drink that S@#%! :laugh: No offense just my opinion. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guest System Admin

dpip75 wrote:

EEEWWWWW!!! :X I just threw up in my mouth! Never in a million years would I taste or brew that. I just keep asking myself, why? Just drink a good beer with the oysters. But brew them, let ferment and then drink? It's salty, it's briney... dude, call Andrew Zimmern from Bizarre Foods to drink that S@#%! :laugh: No offense just my opinion. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

+1 :throwup:

WOW....I guess you gotta try it its real good. I thought the same thing when Harpoon was here in Buffalo for a tasting, but after the 1st sip I was hooked. Picked up 2 growlers and 4 bombers (have 2 bombers left for our seafood cookout in July)