Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

It's over 80 deg in my basement.

I got no AC. Three of my four fermenters are empty, I guess when I bottle the last one, I'm out of action for a while.

Get some gallon jugs and fill them with cold water. Or better yet, freeze them. Then put them next to the kegs.

Failing that, just keep telling yourself the hot weather won't last forever.

I'm quitting for 2 months. Just too hot in the house. Even the basement is 78. I took my last 2 batches to a friends basement to condition at 68. I've got a pretty good supply built up.

Central air. Didn't need it, it came with the house when we bought it, now I won't live without it. Funny how that works......

Yup, it was 87 in Tim's garage (the brewhouse) yesterday. Sadly, we have only a few bottles of ale, whats left of the Double IPA and a fresh batch of stout to go into the empty Corney keg.

I agree with FedoraDave about using frozen gallons of water. I have no basement and no central air. However I took an unused wood cabinet about 5 feet high and wide enough to fit 2 kegs on a shelf with some space between them. I put that cabinet in my garage. I freeze gallons of water and rotate a new one into the cabinet every 1-2 days and place it between two Mr Beer kegs fermenting. This has kept the temperature in the kegs between 64-74 degrees F. This temp reading is based off one of the stick-on thermometers that Mr. Beer sells. Most of the time the thermometer reads about 72 degrees.

So far all the beer I've tasted before bottling has been fine. I've only been doing this technique the last month or so since it has gotten hot outside but it seems to be working well. Daytime temps outside have been in the 90's but the Mr. Beer kegs are staying at fermenting temperatures.

If anyone is interested I may be able to get a picture of the setup and post it here later.

I have central air and it is still so hot out side it struggles to keep the apt at 78 so I use the this method. I drape the wet shirts on the kegs during the hotter hours of the day. I have an inch of water in the containers and I rotate a frozen jug of water at the beginning of the day or whenever the melt. Kegs are staying in the low 60's. :)Cold_chamber.jpg

It's hot here too' I use wet shamwows, a small fan, and sometimes ice cubes strategically placed to try to maintain low 70's F.

Good Luck with the heat.

I use an empty Staples box that was originally used for reams of copy paper. Wrap the fermenter in a towl and place frozen 16 oz spring water bottles on either side of the keg inside the towel. Even comes with a cover. Keep a couple spares in the freezer for swap out. I normally have to swap them every other day but I don't mind. All in the name of homebrewing!!

Living in LA(lower Alabama) you get 3 months when the temp is under 80. I have a fridge just for brews, only way I can control the temp. Do what you have to do to get the brew. :P

What's the humidity like where you are? If the humidity is low, you can use the "wet t shirt) approach that works in much the same way that a swamp cooler works. Basically, you put the fermenter in a pan of some sort (maybe a cheap aluminum pan from the dollar store), put some water in it and drape a cloth over the fermenter, with the ends sticking in the water. The water wicks up the cloth and evaporates, cooling off the fermenter. It might cool a little where the humidity is higgher, simply because of the water, but in low humidity areas, it can drop the temps pretty dramatically.

and if you live in south texas.. you just have to get that "fridge" from hell and chill your stuff

bpgreen wrote:

What's the humidity like where you are? If the humidity is low, you can use the "wet t shirt) approach that works in much the same way that a swamp cooler works. Basically, you put the fermenter in a pan of some sort (maybe a cheap aluminum pan from the dollar store), put some water in it and drape a cloth over the fermenter, with the ends sticking in the water. The water wicks up the cloth and evaporates, cooling off the fermenter. It might cool a little where the humidity is higgher, simply because of the water, but in low humidity areas, it can drop the temps pretty dramatically.

Cold_chamber-20100630.jpg

You got it right bpgreen. ;) I take the shirts off at night because it does get down to 69 or 70 degrees with the ac running. ;)