Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dpip75

Brewing up a modified Cowboy Lager HME

I am doing a Cowboy golden lager refill using 1# of pilsen light DME, 1# extra light DME, mashed .25# crystal 20, .25# carapils, 1.5 oz of centennial hops, and Saflager S-23. I am doing the boil now and so far i have had to extend the boiling time due to too much water and no hot break yet. Going for 90 min. Adding the cowboy HME at the end. Going to drop centennials the last 20 minutes continually.

If you bring the heat up slowly and leave it below boiling for a while, it will sometimes get to the break without foaming. You're probably long past that now, anyway.

The Pilsen and extra light DME are probably pretty similar and I think either or both will be excellent choices as additions to the CGL. That sounds like it will be an excellent brew.

I've never done a true lager because I can't regulate temps that closely. Are you doing this as a lager or a steam beer?

I am putting it in the mini fridge when I get the temp right. In the meantime I am chilling the keg in the fridge so I can pitch 1/2 os the 11.5 gram pack of yeast. Or should I just pitch the whole thing for 2.4 gallons? :unsure: That seems a bit much to me, and I don't want any eruptions ya know. :laugh: Any way thanks for the encouragement, and it smells wonderful in here! Starting another brew know! :woohoo: :chug: :party:

Mr malty yeast pitching calculator suggests 8 grams of dried yeast. But its all up to preference.