Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
bpgreen

Time in the bottle (not the Jim Croce song)

I'm curious how much time people are letting their beers sit in the bottle.

When I started, I'd barely get to a week or two carbonating, then stick in the fridge for a couple of hours to a couple of days.

But as I've built my pipeline, I've gotten to the point where I'm letting them sit for 3-4 months in the bottle at room temperature before they go into the fridge for a week or so.

What do you do?

I have been targeting about two months before putting some in the fridge lately...

I have some that are 3-4 months or more now also. For me it just all depends on the beer and how badly we wanna drink it. I haven't bottled in over a month now, been kegging, and when its ready to tap, it sure dont seem to last long....

I'm running 5 weeks in the bottle on average unless it's a bigger brew that need more time. I live near my in-laws who love beer so it goes quickly (although we tend to have a lot of get-togethers, too).

I'm hoping to move to 5-gallons soon so I have more beer that will go slower and spend more time in the bottle, but I've been happy with the results so far.

I certainly see that more time at both room temp and in the fridge make a difference so like everybody else it's a matter of: pipeline, thirst, patience and what's happening on any given weekend.

I generally bottle and then wait at least four weeks until I try one. Right now, I've set aside sixers of multiple batches for RibFest, so I'm being real careful with the rest of the pipeline; don't want to deplete the remaining inventory too quickly.

This is my new dilemma! I had a ton of beer built up but since my wife is back to drinking and we've had people over constantly(to see the 2 week old, hence the drinking again) it is going quickly! I've got a batch in the bottle about 1.5 weeks now and a batch in the fermenter but I'm going to be going back to store bought really quick! Oh well, at least I get bottles out of it!

Oldest beer I currently have is from April. They and some newer brews are being saved for my trip to WA in August for my Niece's wedding (it's still not to late to elope, Amanda).

Since I have only been brewing for six months I don't have any really old brews, but have saved one from each of my first three batches that are now 5-6 months old. Now that I have an inventory built up I try to wait till 4 weeks in the bottle before sampling. Don't always make that long. :P Right now I am drinking an ADIPA that is 10 weeks in the bottle. :stout:

I sample 1 tester around 3 weeks in the bottle. An established pipeline now allows me to put an entire batch on the "back burner" Plan on having 3 full batches of stout in 12oz glass to be ready when the snow flies. :stout:

I always try one after 1 week in the bottle because the curiosity gets the best of me. I put 3 or 4 in the fridge 2 weeks in. I have no clue how long the rest sit as I always have 3 or 4 batches sitting around at a time and like variety when I am drinking.

Other sites advocate the 2/2/2 rule.

2 weeks in the fermentor
2 weeks conditioning in the bottle, not refrigerated
2 weeks lagering in the bottle, in the refrigerator

here, we suggest that the first 2 weeks is the normal fermenting time.
the 2nd two weeks (first two weeks in the bottle) is for the priming sugar to feed the left over yeast to carbinate the beer.
The 3rd two week period is to allow the yeast in the bottle to clean up anything left over. if during this period you put the bottles in the fridge, the yeast will go to sleep and most activity stops.
That's why, we here, suggest letting it sit in the bottle for 4 weeks to do what it's gonna do, then chill and drink.
And welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. Resistance is Futile. We have beer.