Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
joecontreras

Suggestions on a recipe to match a specific beer.

My favorite store brand beer is Sam Adams Black Lager and was wondering if anyone here could point me in a direction of a Mr. Beer recipe or recipe of their own that comes close to this. I would like to brew one like this next.

This is from an earlier post, but it requires refrigeration to use the lager yeast. Substitution of ale yeast should give a "similar" flavor profile at normal ale temps.

Brother Whale 2 wrote:

My fridge is holding temp with my controller like a champion, so it is time to try a true lager.

My daughter loves the Schwartzbier in Germany so I figured I would try a black lager to start.

Here's the recipe I concocted on Q-brew.

Brewer: Breaching Whale Brewery
Style: Schwartzbier
Batch: 2.40 Gal
Type: Extract w/Steeped Grains
OG: 1.047
Est. FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.5%
Bitterness: 20 IBU
Color: 31 SRM Black

Recipe:

Steeped Grains:
30 min @ 150
.25 Crystal 20L
.50 Debittered Chocolate 600L

Malt Extract:
3# Briess Munich LME

Hops:
Magnum 1/4oz Boil 30 min
Northern Brewer 1/4oz Boil:15 min
Hallertauer 1/4oz Boil 5 min
Hallertauer 1/4oz dry hop 5 days

1 Gram Fermaid K Yeast Nutrient
White Labs WLP830 German Lager Yeast

Malt Wgt 3.75 lbs
Sugar Wgt 0.0 lbs

Ferment @ 55 degrees

It will probably be fermenting through most of the summer.

Sounds great, Whale. I'll have to try something similar to that when I start doing some lagers.

If you're looking for a more straightforward Mr. Beer extract based recipe (and if you're not set up for lagers), I've done (and enjoyed) the Snow Drift Dark Lager from the Mr. Beer recipe book, though it technically is misnamed as it is not a lager by recipe.

4418551955_255a454718_o.jpg

Hi guys its me old spence don't have a suggestion, but would like to know if anybody have a recipe of a golden straw type beer something like a natural light say around maybe 5%,or any kind of recipe from mr beer. Thanks for any infor. :S

spence wrote:

Hi guys its me old spence don't have a suggestion, but would like to know if anybody have a recipe of a golden straw type beer something like a natural light say around maybe 5%,or any kind of recipe from mr beer. Thanks for any infor. :S

You might do better starting a new thread because you're looking for a beer that is very different from the OP.

It sounds like you're looking for something that is very light in color and flavor, light bodied and not too high in alcohol.

I would start with one of the lightest HMEs with low IBUs. Since Mr Beer now sells the premium HMS by themselves, maybe one of the
Pilsners (Grand Bohemian or Pilothouse).

If you've got access to a LHBS, you can add some pilsen or extra light LME or DME (about 1 lb of DME or 1.25 lb LME) and some rice syrup or rice syrup solids.

If you don't have access to a LHBS and want to use all Mr Beer ingredients, add the pale export UME and a packet of booster. If you want to thin it more, use 1 cup of plain white sugar in place of teh booster. But if you do that, it will have a cidery taste and you'll need to let it condition for several months.

Greetings yankeedad, I would like it to be at least 5% and make it in mr beer keg I'm so use to natural light I know it's got to be some mr beer products that can productive,thanks for infro

spence, what BPgreen just said.
Or, 3lbs of light DME or (not and) 3.3 lbs light LME
1 oz cascade hops... divide by 3, boil times: t-50,t-30,t-5.
1.5 tsp coriander seed (cracked)
12 oz clover honey added at t-30
(if you are using the LME, just use half the can for the long boil, and add the remainder after flame out.
/this might put you in the "hood" of what you're looking for... you could throw in a pound of priming sugar, but that's what the honey was for. someone with a fancy brew calculator could verify this if they want, I'm winging it.