Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RustyTruck

Favorite bottle to use

Greetings!
I am new to the hobby and have found this forum to be a wealth of information. I have just bottled my first batch of WCPA in 1 liter bottles I was able to scrounge up, and am waiting to get some more ingredients to make a honey wheat.
My question is, what are your favorite bottles to use for bottling. I have access to an unlimited supply of Corona Bottles, but they are clear. Does anyone have experience with using clear bottles, or specifically Corona bottles? I am worried about the beer breaking down in flavor and getting skunky(I find Corona to be very skunky). However, Newcastle Brown is in a clear bottle and it is not skunky. Any thoughts or ideas?

Welcome Rusty Truck,

Clear bottles will have to be kept out of the light. Otherwise they are fine.

My favorites are 16 oz brown flippies and 12 oz brown longneck prycaps.

Keep posting.

I agree with Sham, 16 oz flippies and 12 oz long necks work for me.

if you have access to returnable bottles, they seem to be a little thicker than throwaway bottles. i get 16 oz returnables for the 1.50 deposit

Welcome RustyTruck !

I never used clear bottles so I can't help you there...the only bottles I use are the 12oz long necks, but I would like to try the flip tops one of these days.

Welcome to the Borg, RustyTruck! Good to have you aboard.

I've used 16 oz. flippies that I bought from Mr. Beer, but mostly I use recycled Samuel Adams bottles.

As Sham Addams said, clear bottles will work fine, but you have to keep them in the dark the whole time. Which isn't a bad idea for carbing and conditioning anyway. Even keeping them in a large black plastic garbage bag will keep most or all of the light out.

Good deal on the free bottles!

:cheers: I use sam adams and fat tire bottles they work great for me! just bottled my belgian tripple this morning before work! :chug: :party:

Welcome RustyTruck.
Hey, about the Corona bottles...it's been a longgggg time since I've drank that stuff. But aren't those bottles twist offs? (I might be wrong) If they are, don't mess with them. Go for bottles that are pry-offs so you can re-cap them with new crown caps.
Most who try to re-cap twist off bottles have problems. They don't seal well. The glass is too thin and can crack.

I built up my stock of brown pry-offs in various shapes and sizes with the "free beer method". By a six pack of a good quality craft beer or micro-brew, maybe one you haven't tried before. For about $10 you get 6 new bottles at just a bit more than the cost of buying them from a supplier like Mr.Beer, etc. Drink the "free" beer inside, clean and save the bottle. Repeat those steps until you have a good supply of bottles.

Good luck and have fun brewing. :chug:

The Corona bottles are fine "vampire" bottles. As you said you have unlimited access to them, I presume you're not the one suffering the draining process. The taste needs to be covered with lime and salt. One way to get your iodine and vitimin C. The Corona's that are in this part of the world are NOT screw tops. So they will work.
Suggested bottles to collect:
The browner, the better.
Flippies are easy too, and I like the 16oz size.
I keg (5 gallon) and I bottle, 16oz & 12oz. For cider, I use the 8oz coke bottles.
welcome to the BeerBorg Information Central. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. we have beer.

Thanks all for the information. I have some Sam Adams bottles now for about a half batch and I am comparing them to the Coronas. The lip on the coronas looks thin so I will update later on how well they bottle up. I like the idea of clear bottles so I can get a preview of what is going on inside. On a side note, I am not the one having to drink the Corona :-)

Cheers!

I put out an add in the company classifieds for free bottles and landed 4 cases of old returnable pry off style bottles. The are great. I really notice a difference from new pry off bottles I bought at the LHBS. The older ones are definitely thicker glass and a little taller than new bottles or the Sam Adams bottles I also have.
Another good way to build a stockpile is to ask you non homebrew friends to save bottles for you.

Blatzman wrote:

I put out an add in the company classifieds for free bottles and landed 4 cases of old returnable pry off style bottles. The are great. I really notice a difference from new pry off bottles I bought at the LHBS. The older ones are definitely thicker glass and a little taller than new bottles or the Sam Adams bottles I also have.
Another good way to build a stockpile is to ask you non homebrew friends to save bottles for you.

I used PET and swingtops exclusively until very recently. Most of the beers I was finding around here were screwtop bottles, but I finally found some that were pop top and decided to buy a capper. I noticed the same thing about the bottles--they seemed shorter than I remembered. I was on a business trip and bought some Sam Adams Lager and some Magic Hat. Those bottles are taller than the local beers I found.

shoudln't be a problem...but to echo fedora's comment, it is better to cover them in a trash bag just in case...it saved me from from one bad seal which sprayed everywhere....

Just to echo what's been said here already, the Coronas should work fine. I've used some for 3 different batches now and haven't had any problems. Keep on the lookout for the 7oz Coronas- they're a nice size for a few 'sample' bottles so you can track the progress of your beer as it conditions. Just ratchet the priming sugar amount down if using the 7oz ones. While I didn't have a bottle bomb, I had a mini Mt. Vesuvius when I opened those babys up the first time. Yeow! But my favorites are still my Sam Adams bottles.

bpgreen wrote:

Blatzman wrote:

I used PET and swingtops exclusively until very recently. Most of the beers I was finding around here were screwtop bottles, but I finally found some that were pop top and decided to buy a capper. I noticed the same thing about the bottles--they seemed shorter than I remembered. I was on a business trip and bought some Sam Adams Lager and some Magic Hat. Those bottles are taller than the local beers I found.

I bought a sixer of Anchor Steam last week, and those bottles are definitely shorter than Sammies. Of course, twelve ounces is twelve ounces, but the difference in size struck me as interesting.

Mighty good beer, that Anchor Steam. Definitely worth the price of the bottles. ;)

I have the half liter swingtops but mostly I like Sierra Nevada bottles because they are shorter, which makes them fit perfectly on the top shelf of my fridge.

I have a pack of the Anchor bottles, too, but I haven't tried them out yet. The necks seem very thin and fragile. I need to cap a few and see if they crack...

I'm a fan of several different types - 12 oz long necks, 12 oz Sierra Nevada short necks, 12 oz Widmer Bros, 12 oz New Belgian, 12 oz Albita, 16 oz flippies and I also save a few 22 oz bombers from Stone and I have a green 22 oz Becks bottle that I use. I've also got 2 750 ml flippies that had Toad Hollow Champagne in them. I use the bombers and 750 ml bottles for long conditioning some of my best brews. I break those out on special occasions!! :cheers:

Ditto what everyone else has said about the Corona bottles.

I use Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada almost exclusively. The Sierra bottles are shorter and wider than the Sammy's so they don't interchange between cases very well.

Kegging is also an option if you have the room for a keggerator contraption. My brew buddy, Timmmaaayyy picked up a couple of used 7-Up Corney kegs at the LHBS for $35 each.

FedoraDave wrote:

I bought a sixer of Anchor Steam last week, and those bottles are definitely shorter than Sammies. Of course, twelve ounces is twelve ounces, but the difference in size struck me as interesting.

Mighty good beer, that Anchor Steam. Definitely worth the price of the bottles. ;)

Agreed. I wasn't wowed by their Summer Brew but the original Anchor beer is great. I was going to tour the facility about a month ago but couldn;t get in - didn't plan ahead, darn it.

I've capped these bottles twice now with no issues. I like the way they are a different shape than a traditional bottle.

My favorites right now are my 16oz flippies, too.

I like the idea of using Sierra Nevada bottles. I really like the Pale Ale inside, and I think the shorter bottles will be nice. Besides, I grew up in Chico and watched them "grow up" from a local brew to a big name brand! Thanks again all for the info. The free beer method seems to be working so far. I get a two fer with the wife. I actually save money by buying bottles with beer already in them!

For 12 oz bottles I prefer Sierra Nevada because I like the size and shape of the bottles plus I like Torpedo IPA and Bigfoot Barleywine.

For 12 oz longnecks, I prefer Flying Dog, they have an awesome barleywine and an awesome tripel.

For ease of bottling I prefer Fischer flip-tops. They are bigger than Grolsch, so bottling time is slightly reduced, and I have an excuse to drink a little more beer. B)

I guess I am the Frankenstein Monster of bottles I have the following:

12 oz clear Newcastle
12 oz brown longnecks
11.2 oz brown longnecks
12 oz squat brown ( Negra Modelo)
15.2 oz green flippies ( Grolsch )
16 oz brown returnables
1 liter brown PET

So far my favorite have been the Grolsch bottles for ease of use and they seem a little heavier duty but the regular 12 oz longnecks are starting to grow on me as well.