Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MrsBrew

Tips from Discussions

I've been brewing the Mr. Beer kits for one year now, but only recently found this site. The tip of using the blender for the Booster was great!!!

Has anyone used chessecloth instead of a muslin bag for hops?
I would like to start creating my own recipes by buying the individual items from Mr. Beer and this would save me some money.

Also, any advice on creating my own beer? How do you decide which ingredients to use for a particular batch?

Side note - my husband bought a 2 liter growler that I have filled twice for him. I'm a great hit amongst his friends!! (They wished that they had a wife like me!)

Currently drinking - Vodka or Rum (out of homebrew - ouch).

Welcome to the forum blantonnf. I bet you are a hit with your husband's friends. A wife that brews fresh beer. It don't get no better than that :chug:

As far as creating your own beers. It is pretty much the same as creating your own meals. It is a matter of learning what tastes good to you, and using your creativity to decide which of these things would taste good together. This will come with time and practice.

Welcome to the Beer Borg Information Central. As Gymrat has so aptly stated, that's how it's done. Others have made up some good brews. So if you know what you might like, just ask. Maybe someone has already made it. Or, it will get us back in the brewery to see what can be done. :stout:

Welcome!! :woohoo: You can read recipes on this sight or others and then get a better idea of how to create a recipe. You can use DME and steep some grains (carapils and maybe some crystal malt) with your Mr. Beer ingredients. You can also do a finishing or a dry hop. The limit is endless when it comes to making beer. Go for it and have fun! :chug:

Another good option for dry hopping is a large wire screen tea ball. I don't use more than a half ounce of hop pellets in one though because they expand so much. My latest brew used three ounces of hops for dry hopping, and I used a steeping bag for it. Worked very nicely, and easy to clean. I have heard that cheesecloth works just fine. Many posters here simply toss the hops in the wort and count on most of them to settle into the trub. They often will, but I recently lost several beers out of a five gallon batch because the settled hops took up so much space and liquid.
Welcome to the collective, we have beer. :chug:

Here is a red ale recipe. batch size 2.4 gallons. That is at the bottom of the Q on the keg.

Yeast: 1/2 of a sachet of Safale US 05

1 can of Bewitched Red Ale HME
1.5# amber DME
.25# crystal 20
.25# carapils
1 oz Hallertau

bring 1.25 gallons of water up to 160 and drop in your grains. Steep for 30 minutes and maintain at 150 to 160 degrees. remove grains and place in a strainer over your pot. Then run clean 170 degree water very slowly over your grains. 4 quarts is plenty. Bring you water up to a boil remove from heat and add your DME and mix well return to heat and wait for the hot break. Do not leave the stove after adding your DME. boil for at least 30 min or an hour. Remove from heat and add the Mr. beer HME and finishing hops. Hope this helps. I have more recipes if you want them. :)

You could also download Qbrew for help in making your own recipes.

You can update the database here, so that Qbrew includes the Mr. Beer HME's and UME's.

Enjoy!

:cheers:

Sorry for the double up everyone.
Figured out how that happens to people....
Clicking the back button after posting...sends the post again.
Apologies to the Borg.

Lots of good advice already. Only addition is to remember to record your recipes and results. Small changes can give big surprises, take your time and have fun.

Husteak wrote:

Sorry for the double up everyone.
Figured out how that happens to people....
Clicking the back button after posting...sends the post again.
Apologies to the Borg.

aHA! Been there and wondered...Now I can go home...

Since no one else mentioned it...what about the Mr. B Recipes page?
Lots O' good ones there.

Welcome to the Borg! Keep reading these forums, and you'll be amazed at how much you learn in a short time. We're a fun bunch, too, so you'll probably make a few friends. Oh, and we have beer; that's worth the price of admission, too.

As has been stated, what you're looking for depends on what you're looking for. People have good recipes that they'll happily share, but you gotta ask or search around for it. For instance, I'm planning on making a spicy porter for the holidays. I asked if anyone had a good recipe and D Rabbit linked to his King's Porter recipe, and that's what I'll be using a base. If you want a pale ale recipe, just ask; there are plenty of members who have made excellent pale ales, and you'll have more recipes to try than you have time to try them.

Another thing I tried was creating a basic golden ale recipe (just extra-light DME and light DME) so I can experiment with different hops to learn their characteristics (and what I like). So my American Ale will always be changing its profile slightly, but it's an experimental beer, so I expect to learn from it rather than have a consistent taste every time.

Anyway, it's good to have you here. Stick around and join the fun, and you'll definitely learn a lot about brewing.

Thank you all for your quick & very helpful responses. I will be checking this site often for help, tips, and the usual incouragement - "relax and have a beer".

Cheers!!!