Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kedogn

My latest IPA...

According to Beer Smith I am within the parameters for an American IPA and I gotta say that while this is a simple recipe... HOLY COW! This is by far the best beer I have made. I look forward to making this again, probably this Thursday so it can sit in the primary for 2 weeks while I am on the East Coast.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (7 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.50 %

I dry hopped with 1oz of Simcoe and 2 oz Cascade for 10 days, then cold crashed for 7 days before kegging. I kegged it, boost carbed it, and started drinking it 5 days later.

I really dont know much about writing recipes, but this one is a winner... for me at least.

This past weekend I was at the beach. We went to an Irish pub and I ordered the only IPA they have, which was from Fish Brewing (Olympia, Wa - about 10 miles from me). Normally I love Fish's IPA, but this weekend, I would have preferred having one of my own. The clarity is spot on, but mine tastes better... to me any how! :)

Anyway, just kinda excited so I wanted to share :)

Sounds great! I love Simcoe hops! Doesn't it feel great to brew a really good beer? Share some pictures. :chug:

Yeah Ken, Share a photo or two!! Sounds like a winner, I'm still working up to a hops schedule like that, LOL! :chug:

Sounds like someone is a Hard Core Beer Borg Now. Resistance is no longer an issue. Assimilation has been confirmed.

I gotta try me some of those Simecoe hops. I've been stuck on Centennial.

You have to love the simplicity of an IPA, yet one of the most refreshing and complex tastes with the hops. When I started, I wasn't a hop-head, but I am getting there. Just gotta use the right hops!

Can't wait to see some pictures if you post them!

That sounds like a great beer! I'm finding that my AG brews take a couple months conditioning before they're at their peak. Does kegging the beer reduce the maturation time?

I did a 60 min continuous hop APA with Centennials on the 4th of July. I did a first wort hop for the bittering and then scheduled out a certain weight within certain times throughout the hour. I broke pellets and dropped in hops the whole 60 min. It was fun and smelled great! The beer is now in the secondary after dry hopping with 1oz of Centennials. Can't wait to taste this one.

Damn that sounds and better yet, looks good!

I swear I have a hard time drinking anything but IPA's haha. I love a good Pale Ale to session though.

In the colder months I do have a soft spot for some good Stouts, Porters, and Barleywines.

I would definitely like to try that fine crafted ale you have there man! I'd split a bomber of my latest creation for a good 12oz pour from your keg! :chug:

That is some good looking brew you got there Kedogn.
Nice work!

:chug:

Thanks y'all! This one is almost gone... gonna brew up another batch on Thursday. :)

Lovely beer you have there. I bet it tastes just as good as it looks too. Cheers! :chug:

dpip75 wrote:

Lovely beer you have there. I bet it tastes just as good as it looks too. Cheers! :chug:

Congratulations dpip75,

On your new NINKASI status.

kedogn wrote:

According to Beer Smith I am within the parameters for an American IPA and I gotta say that while this is a simple recipe... HOLY COW! This is by far the best beer I have made. I look forward to making this again, probably this Thursday so it can sit in the primary for 2 weeks while I am on the East Coast.

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (7 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.50 %

I dry hopped with 1oz of Simcoe and 2 oz Cascade for 10 days, then cold crashed for 7 days before kegging. I kegged it, boost carbed it, and started drinking it 5 days later.

I really dont know much about writing recipes, but this one is a winner... for me at least.

This past weekend I was at the beach. We went to an Irish pub and I ordered the only IPA they have, which was from Fish Brewing (Olympia, Wa - about 10 miles from me). Normally I love Fish's IPA, but this weekend, I would have preferred having one of my own. The clarity is spot on, but mine tastes better... to me any how! :)

Anyway, just kinda excited so I wanted to share :)

Wow this sounds yummy!! Looks yummy too!! Can you give us some stats on this recipe? ABV? IBU? Also, how big a batch is this? I'm assuming with 16lbs. of grain it is 5 gallon...

JustEd wrote:
Wow this sounds yummy!! Looks yummy too!! Can you give us some stats on this recipe? ABV? IBU? Also, how big a batch is this? I'm assuming with 16lbs. of grain it is 5 gallon...

Sure, my ABV came in at 6.4% (OG 1.058), IBU's at 52 and this was a 5.5 gallon batch.

The only thing I would do different is dry hop with more hops than I did originally. Other than that, it's a great, smooth tasting IPA that wont kick your teeth in with bitterness, is full of flavor and burps verrrrry nice! :)

This post has my mouth watering. Bottled my latest American IPA last week and am waiting for it to condition. Used Citra Hops with it and at bottling it was a WOW beer.

From reading all these posts i'm going to have to work in some Simcoe hops soon to give them a try.

Big Dog I pee, Eh? is officially gone.... good thing I brewed another batch today :)

Very nice! I might have to steal this one from ya....after I wipe the drool off my keyboard.