Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerConnoisseur

MrBeer Taste Found

I know this has been talked about a lot here, BUT…

I have brewed up several variations and there IS a common flavor component. Until now I have not been able to put my finger on it. But, a few weeks ago I had a commercial brew which had that same taste component. (Can’t remember now what it was, sorry.) It was faint but it WAS there. The only reason I can see this brew would have had it was the bittering hops.

I have read post here stating that friends would comment on how EVERY MrBeer brew offered them was the same. If MrBeer uses the same hops to bitter many of their HMEs then THAT IS IT!!!

For my next test batches I plan to do a short full boil with some flavor hops and a small dry hop. I am hopeful this covers that “MrBeer Taste” in them. If not I may look at just using all UME and hopping it myself. :whistle:

it is the yeast!! all mine have the yeast taste to it. i have been trying some different yeasts in hopes of the taste leaving. getting ready to bottle some i used s-33 in. hoping it doesn't have that taste at all. crossing my fingers!!!

Thought I was the only one experiencing this. Not a bad taste, but just- that taste. Now it makes sense. Maybe time to try experimenting with different yeasts.

gonzo111 wrote:

…hoping it doesn't have that taste at all. crossing my fingers!!!

I see you are HOPEFUL it is the yeast. So was I.

My first 8 batches were with MrBeer yeast. I have since brewed 16 of one of the same recipes with different yeasts. I have done batches with 2 different White Labs, 6 batches with Wyeast & 1 with Safale US-05 and ALL still had that SAME common flavor component.

In fact the MrBeer Taste became even more pronounced in some brews but NEVER went away.

I was at a loss to blame the yeast. I figured it must be something in my procedures. Until I tasted that same flavor component in a store bought beer. A brewer which produces enough beer to sell it in stores has to have it down pretty good. It has to be the bittering hops.

What is common here? The yeast or the UME? This discussion has a lot of miles in many threads as far back as I've been posting. I have a lesser palate than ya'll 'cause i still smoke but I have to say if you taste the same thing in Mr Beer UMEs then it has to be my friends in Maltexo, NZ.
If different yeasts produce the same sensation with the UME from Mr Beer that's got to be it, yah?

Has anyone progressed to the point that they are using Mr Beer yeast only but with non-Mr Beer malts? Hmmm.

:huh:

the batch of coopers druaght i bottled today didn't have the yeast flavor at all to it(i tasted the stale beer before batch priming). i stopped using anything mr.beer last month. the muntons kits had the same taste to them as well. these last two batches of coopers doesn't have that taste at all. i have a coopers pilsner that i will be bottling in a few days i used s-33 yeast in. i'm hoping it doesn't have that flavor either.

if you smell the yeast then smell the beer it is the yeast. same smell and same flavor. its not hops. it is yeast. smell each then tell me it isn't the same smell and he taste is exactly the same as the smell!!!! surely hops doesn't smell like yeast? none i have smelled smelled like yeast anyway.

Have MB only brews, MB brews boosted with UME or DME, with added hops and with Safeale yeast. They all have a common underlying flavor. I have a Coppers conditioning and a Munton's in the fermenter. They have the same underlying flavor. It is not the yeast or the hops. It is MALT. Some of the brews have more malt flavor and some less. Some people notice malt more than others but it is in every beer you brew or buy. I have always opted for malted milk shakes and the slight common flavor in the MB brews is malt. Different malts add different flavors but at the basic level they are all malts. Enjoy your beers but go to your nearest ice cream parlor and get a chocolate malted to remind your taste buds of malt.

I posted in another thread a month ago that I had a brown ale from Hub City brewing of Iowa. It had the same MB taste. My wife tasted it and said "It tastes like the beer you make."

The "taste" I've found only in Pilothouse And HCCD based brews didn't change with different yeast. I have found the Pilothouse , with 1 lb DME, and the right hop schedule, makes a tasty brew, could be a good base for an IPA.

I made the Ptarmigan Pale ale with the Mr beer yeast.- Tastes like Mr beer.
Made it again with White Labs California Ale yeast (great yeast BTW). - No Mr Beer flavor.

That being said, the malt could have something to do with it. Still, if you're still using that little pack of yeast under the lid of Mr Beer HME, then you are doing yourself a major disservice (I throw these away immediately!). Your brews are going to taste a lot alike if you're using the same yeast for everything. Don't let the price tag on a pouch of Wyeast or a vial of White Labs turn you off. Good yeast is absolutely neccessary to make great beer. Plus, Wyeast and White Labs yeast can be harvested and reused.

gophers6 wrote:

… I had a brown ale from Hub City brewing of Iowa. It had the same MB taste. …

I can bet they do not use any MrBeer ingredients. But they may be using the same bittering hops.

Hurst/Olds wrote:

The "taste" I've found only in Pilothouse And HCCD based brews didn't change with different yeast…

Another user saying the MrBeer Yeast is NOT it.

Hurst/Olds wrote:

I have found the Pilothouse , with 1 lb DME, and the right hop schedule, makes a tasty brew, could be a good base for an IPA.

Perhaps the “hop schedule” covered the bittering hops. We may be onto something here.

dhollar2 wrote:

I made the Ptarmigan Pale ale with the Mr beer yeast.- Tastes like Mr beer.
Made it again with White Labs California Ale yeast (great yeast BTW). - No Mr Beer flavor…

Since the Ptarmigan Pale ale kit comes with 1/2oz of Amarillo Pellet Hops the test is suspect. Perhaps the WL yeast plus added hops added enough to the flavor to cover the MrBeer bittering hops and the MrBeer yeast plus added hops did not.

yankeedag wrote:

...and here I thought it was just me taste buds... silly me.

Oh now… come on yankeedag. Sounds like you are not settled on it being the yeast, either.

The Amarillo hops were for dry hopping only. Dry hopping adds aroma, not flavor. I maintain that it's the yeast. Honestly, if you are still using the dry Mr Beer yeast (regardless of what causes the Mr Beer flavor), you're cheating yourself.

If it's not the yeast, it's the malt. This "Mr Beer flavor" is sweet/yeasty. There's just no way I'm going to believe this is attributed to bittering hops.

I agree that it is probably the yeast. I've used plenty of their extracts with Nottingham, US-05, and S-04 and have not had the taste with any of them. I actually enjoy most of the MB extracts and find they've made very enjoyable beer.

Do a search for SiriusDG's side-by-side experiments on the forum. The ones using Mr. Beer extracts were winning in a head-to-head competition with a non-MB brewed version. It doesn't specifically speak to the yeast, but I would think that the extract versions of his experiments would have had "the taste."

dhollar2 wrote:

The Amarillo hops were for dry hopping only. Dry hopping adds aroma, not flavor. …

You mean to tell me that adding hops without boiling will NOT add ANY flavor? That does not make sense to me.

Also, one comment on the recipe page stated it was TOO bitter. How can this be if dry hoping only adds aroma?

dhollar2 wrote:

… Honestly, if you are still using the dry Mr Beer yeast (regardless of what causes the Mr Beer flavor), you're cheating yourself.

I agree, but only because certain beer styles require certain yeast strains.

dhollar2 wrote:

… There's just no way I'm going to believe this is attributed to bittering hops.

It may not be all bittering hops, perhaps the flavor hops also.

Maybe we can get MrBeer to chime in with exactly what hops are used in their extracts.

Brew City wrote:

I agree that it is probably the yeast. …

So, you are not SURE?

Brew City wrote:

…I've used plenty of their extracts with Nottingham, US-05, and S-04 and have not had the taste with any of them. I actually enjoy most of the MB extracts and find they've made very enjoyable beer.

Did you add any hops to those brews? Because others report the MrBeer taste still there.

Brew City wrote:

Do a search for SiriusDG's side-by-side experiments on the forum. The ones using Mr. Beer extracts were winning in a head-to-head competition with a non-MB brewed version. It doesn't specifically speak to the yeast, …

The one thread I found used different yeast and added a lot of other stuff including Flavor Hops. Which would improve it whether it is the hops OR the yeast.

LowTech wrote:

Has anyone progressed to the point that they are using Mr Beer yeast only but with non-Mr Beer malts? Hmmm.

Yes I have. I was trying an experimental one gallon batch and I rehydrated two of the mr. beer yeast packs and used that. I used DME and hops. No MB malts or anything MB except the yeast. I have heard it's because there isn't enough of the yeast and it's the strain on the yeast does it. So I thought two of them to a gallon and I shouldn't taste it at all. I did slightly taste that MB taste while it was still in the fermenter. Since it has been bottled I have once in a while thought which of my beers am I drinking now? Must be a MB one I got that after taste slightly. Nothing like when I make a MB batch with all MB products but it IS there. Not maybe, not I think, not questionable it is there.

Right now I've got Otto's Oktoberfest and Brew Ha Ha conditioning. Theses are my first 2 batches not using MB yeast (US-05 instead.) It will be a month before I can report the results.

I've done the Otto's Octoberfest with both the Mr Beer yeast and Danstar Nottingham. The taste was there with the MB yeast, not with the Nottingham. There was no hop boil with that recipe, just adding 1/4 ounce of Sterling at flameout with each batch.

Yeast gets my vote.

Mutsy wrote:

LowTech wrote:

Yes I have.

…it IS there. Not maybe, not I think, not questionable it is there.
No doubt there are unique flavors produced by all yeasts and MrBeer yeast is no exception. It may be that the combined unique flavors of the yeast and the bittering hops produce what has been called the MrBeer Taste. Those who find the taste in brews using NO MrBeer yeast taste the MrBeer hop flavor and you found the MrBeer yeast flavor.

Brew City wrote:

I've done the Otto's Octoberfest with both the Mr Beer yeast and Danstar Nottingham. The taste was there with the MB yeast, not with the Nottingham. There was no hop boil with that recipe, just adding 1/4 ounce of Sterling at flameout with each batch.

Yeast gets my vote.

Once again, adding hops even if not boiled for the normal 10-15 minutes will add flavor. The hops are added to the water just after boil. It goes into HOT water which WILL leach some hop flavor out of the pellets.

How well the MrBeer Yeast and the Nottingham Yeast use the added hops to COVER the MrBeer bittering hops is the ONLY results from this test. This tells me that adding a SMALL amount of hops ONLY, will not eliminate the MrBeer Taste if MrBeer yeast is still used. Plus as noted above, you added the unique MrBeer yeast flavors.

IMHO, it's the extract. Every MB beer I made had the same taste, and I only used the MB yeast on the first two batches. I haven't noticed the same taste in any other extract based or AG beer I've done (8 MB brews, 21 other). All the non-MB extract based brews were either Munton's (dry only) or Briess, dry and liquid. I think that sensitivity to the MB taste is highly subjective. I personally can't abide it, unless I am eating very spicy food (for some reason it's not noticeable then), but I have friends who don't taste it at all.

I haven't used MB yeast since my second batch, but I have noted the "taste" in most batches except for the stouts. The overall stronger flavor of the stouts may mask it. I also wonder if pitching temp may play a role. Using the standard MB technique, gives a pitching temp of about 78-80 degrees. For My last two batches I have cooled the wort in an ice bath and don't really notice as much of the "taste". Just a thought.

docpd wrote:

I haven't used MB yeast since my second batch, but I have noted the "taste" in most batches except for the stouts. The overall stronger flavor of the stouts may mask it. I also wonder if pitching temp may play a role. Using the standard MB technique, gives a pitching temp of about 78-80 degrees. For My last two batches I have cooled the wort in an ice bath and don't really notice as much of the "taste". Just a thought.

you could be onto something here.

Pitching temp will affect how a yeast works. As well as the quick cooling may affect how any aroma hops turn to flavor hops and how flavor hops get turned into bittering hops.

A quick cool could help the MrBeer HMEs retain their original hop profiles. In other words, the long term high mixing temps may be turning too much of the flavor hops into bittering hops.

Maybe adding and mixing in the UMEs first will reduce the affects on the HMEs.
Or I guess you could spend extra time mixing the extracts with room temp water.

Ether way might be helpful in retaining the correct hop profile.

Good tip, and well worth noting the effect on HMEs.

BeerConnoisseur wrote:

You mean to tell me that adding hops without boiling will NOT add ANY flavor? That does not make sense to me.

If the hops are "covering up" the Mr Beer flavor as you say, doesn't that kind of blow the lid off of your already flimsy theory that the hops caused the flavors in the first place?

dhollar2 wrote:

BeerConnoisseur wrote:

If the hops are "covering up" the Mr Beer flavor as you say, doesn't that kind of blow the lid off of your already flimsy theory that the hops caused the flavors in the first place?

Oh crap, I forgot. That is right, Hops is Hops and ALL hops taste the same. I guess the names are just marketing ploys to get us to buy the SAME thing more than once.

[Heh, you started it saying my theory was “Flimsy”.]
{Shakes head and walks away.} :S

i bottled up a batch of pilsner i had used the s-33 yeast in today. i tasted it out of the fermenter and it had no yeasty taste to it at all. i had used all malt in this one. i used malt instead of the corn sugar it called for. it really tasted great(flat, but great) out of the fermenter. o yeasty taste at all. not overly malty either.

now i just have to figure out what i want to do this next time. i have wheat and druaght on hand. i have a ale coming on fedex right now. i have enough bottles for just one batch.

lord i need more bottles rightaway!!!!

i still believe it is the yeast. changed from what the kits use to s-33 and a few others and haven't had that taste since and i'm doing all dme brews now, so i am not buying it is the malt any at all!!!

I am beginning to wonder if what we are all describing as the "MB taste" is really the same thing. There are many things that can cause off tastes, and none of us has had the chance to sample each other's beers. Some of us use MB yeast, others don't. Some add DME, others not. I don't see a clear common element here. Perhaps it is a combination of factors, including the drinker's own sensitivity to malty, yeasty, or even ester flavors.

docpd wrote:

I am beginning to wonder if what we are all describing as the "MB taste" is really the same thing. There are many things that can cause off tastes, and none of us has had the chance to sample each other's beers. Some of us use MB yeast, others don't. Some add DME, others not. I don't see a clear common element here. Perhaps it is a combination of factors, including the drinker's own sensitivity to malty, yeasty, or even ester flavors.

But to me it's not an "off taste" as the beers all have been great. It's more of a common taste that every batch seems to share.

what has me wondering is the muntons beer's i've done have had that taste like the mb beers did. then the coopers i've done haven't had it at all. could it be something with cleaning the fermenters? could it be just cheap yeast instead of using a great quality yeast? my past few all dme brew haven't had the taste at all. it does make one wonder doesn't it. what could be cuasing this aste. like stated before it isn't a off taste, just a very yeasty taste. it tastes just like the yeast smells.

maybe greater minds than ours will figure it out for us.

Blatzman wrote:

Maybe it's the fermenter :P

I think you meant that as a funny, but in case not, I use gallon size glass carboys and have noted a common flavor.

Now I was going to just let it drop, but….

There is a common non-off-flavor not attributed to or contributed by the yeast. There is no doubt a subtle flavor unique to the MrBeer yeast. This is not what I am referring to.

There is though a common flavor component to MrBeer brews no mater what yeast is used. This is what I am referring to.

A couple of us have reported a common non-off-flavor in MrBeer, store bought and Munton’s brews. Since hops are used in ALL these beers, I stick to my point that it is the common bittering hops used.

Over the last few months in my travels I have been enjoying some of the most hoped brews in the nation. I have developed a tongue for hops, so to speak. When I tasted the store bought with that same bittering hop that MrBeer uses, I knew it.

Lee, you should try to get the Mr. Beer folks to unlock the vault and tell us the secret ingredients! :)

I know I would LOVE to know what hops they use in each extract and what strain of yeast they include. I'm not holding my breath, though, and understand and support the business practice. Where would we be if the Colonel had given up his delicious chicken recipe? The mystery is half the fun!

I too do not think that MrBeer will tell us, but perhaps.

I just looked and they have the HOPS listed for the Seasonal Brews. Maybe they WILL tell us what is in the other HMEs.

BeerConnoisseur wrote:

I just looked and they have the HOPS listed for the Seasonal Brews. Maybe they WILL tell us what is in the other HMEs.

One can always hope.

I always like when micros post what malts and hops they use. It helps me as a homebrewer a great deal. It sometimes will push me to try those ingredients if I like the brew. It really helps to give an entirely different perspective for the homebrewer.

I thought the yeast was an issue too. But, my Mad Dog IPA is well balanced with a very nice aftertaste using Mr. Beer Yeast. Nice caramel malty finish. Actually, it should be a little more hoppy. I did 3-3-4months. I read somewhere in another forum about the funny taste coming from LME's. And the discussion mentioned using DME or straight up all grain resulted in the absence of this funny taste. I was just searching Midwest forums for reviews of new brews to try as I just started doing 5 gallon batches. So, perhaps research on other forums about LME's and consider using longer conditioning time. I am wrong about the Mr. Beer yeast. In addition, I think, if you use adjuncts period, let that beer sit 2 months conditioning. This will help balance that brew. Especially with honey. That means 6 weeks in the bottle to carb/condition.

BeerConnoisseur wrote:

dhollar2 wrote:

BeerConnoisseur wrote:

Oh crap, I forgot. That is right, Hops is Hops and ALL hops taste the same. I guess the names are just marketing ploys to get us to buy the SAME thing more than once.

[Heh, you started it saying my theory was “Flimsy”.]
{Shakes head and walks away.} :S

I move that Connoisseur be removed from your name if you honestly believe that hops cause the semi-sweet, yeasty Mr. Beer taste. Your argument IS flimsy. You've offered no solid evidence. You tasted a commerical beer that tasted like Mr Beer???? So what...from that you get bittering hops???? They probably used the same yeast strain. Perhaps your Mr Beer aftertaste differs from mine, but what I'm tasting isn't bitter, piney, citrusy, or anything like any hop flavor that I've ever experienced. You keep making these weak arguments like a little child, but have nothing to back it up. I did the Ptarmigan Pale ale with and without Mr Beer yeast. I dry hopped BOTH with Amarillo hops. The one with Mr Beer yeast tasted like Mr Beer, the one without did not. You, on the other hand, have not done anything to contribute an intelligent thought to this argument. Get back to me when you do. If I'm wrong, it's the malt-because others have made valid arguments for malt, and I can understand how malt could contribute such a sweet yeasty aftertaste. Your hop theory, however, just doesn't make any since to anyone who knows anything about beer. And if you re-read this thread, you'll realize that the majority is screaming malt or yeast.

Is Kenny back? Personally, I don't think that the widely written about "MB twang" can be called sweet and yeasty. Obviously, Docpd is correct that there is not a consensus here about what exactly the Mr. Beer taste is. What sense in arguing about what is in all probability two entirely different things?

dhollar2 wrote:

… I move that Connoisseur be removed from your name if you honestly believe that hops cause the semi-sweet, yeasty Mr. Beer taste….

I am a Connoisseur of beer and I say there is a common taste to all the MrBeer brews I have tried. And I agree that hops cannot cause a semi-sweet, yeasty taste.

To begin, I never described the MrBeer Taste as semi-sweet or yeasty. Just that there was a common taste. BTW, none of MY brews had what I would call a semi-sweet or yeasty taste.

dhollar2 wrote:

Perhaps your Mr Beer aftertaste differs from mine…

Heh, we agree on something!!!

Except I never said it was an “Aftertaste.” To me it is not. The common taste I refer to is in the taste not just the aftertaste.

What? Wait! Why are you attacking ME?

STOP IT!!!!

dhollar2 wrote:

… And if you re-read this thread, you'll realize that the majority is screaming malt or yeast.

So? This is not a democracy, it is a forum to discuss improving our brews.

Now back to the discussion… (If that is ok with you.)

There is an earthy bitterness to the MrBeer taste I am referring to. I cannot for certain say it is the bittering or the flavor hops, but it IS the hops.

Perhaps it is the hop extract they use.

In my next set of test batches I plan to do a full boil and add hops which hopefully will cover what I am calling a common MrBeer taste.

I'm not attacking you. I'd just prefer you offer tangible evidence to backup your argument, as opposed to just quoting everyone and offering your own interpretation of those quotes. No reason to get so sensative. Good luck on your full boil.

You're right. The great & powerful Mr.Beer in the sky doesn't want to lay all his cards on the table, but I can say that most MB extracts do use the same bittering hops. Most of them also use the same base malt, and there are a couple of other malt types that many (but not all) share in common.

One thing that's been mentioned, but not really discussed is water (which makes up most of your beer). The specific ion content of the water you brew with can have a big impact on the malt/hop balance. If my brewing water contains a lot of sulfate, I'm much more likely to perceive a common hop character and bitterness in my finished beer than a person who brews with water that has a high chloride content (chloride will accentuate any common malt character).

Of course, yeast can also impact the balance between malt and hops, so if my water leans only slightly one way or the other, changing yeast might be enough to switch the balance from one characteristic to the other (and it will eliminate loads upon loads of common flavors that come from the MB yeast, obviously). If my water leans heavily toward chloride or sulfate, changing yeast may not be enough to change the balance from hoppy to malty (or vice versa).

I have heard many descriptions of what people refer to as THE MB taste, and I firmly believe that there isn't ONE SINGLE flavor that every single batch of MB has in common. Rather, I think that a lot of different brewers get a consistent flavor from their batches that result from ingredients (including malt, hops, yeast and water) for sure, but just as importantly from the process they use when brewing with MB extracts (which, even if you follow our directions "to a T," you still have a lot of room to do your own thing).

I guess all that is just a rambling way of saying that yeah, when you brew with all MB, you're probably gonna have some common flavors because our malts have a lot of things in common with one another. It's probably not a safe bet to assume that YOUR MB flavor is necessarily the same as the next guy's, especially when you take into account the wise words of the nong: "I thought it was just my taste buds," 'cause personal taste is a whole 'nother nut to crack!

BTW, this is all just like, uh, my opinion man. :chug:

...and there you have it! Suitable for framing. :)
Thanks Eric.
See, the boys around here are PASSIONATE about there beer!

dennisd wrote:

Could it be the water you use?

THIS COULD VERY WELL BE IT AS WELL!!! i use distilled spring water in my brews. never use tap water. to many chemicals in tap water for me.

i just started a coopers lager today in a better bottle with the waterless airlock on it. i added the 1kg of corn sugar and a box of coopers enhancer #1. we'll find out in about a month or so about it if it has the yeasty taste to it. i know the coopers druaght and pilsner doesn't have the yeasty taste. i can pick that taste up when i test the beer out of the fermenter. niether of the two coopers kits had it at all. i also used s-33 yeast in them.

ericg wrote - You're right. The great & powerful Mr.Beer in the sky doesn't want to lay all his cards on the table, but I can say that most MB extracts do use the same bittering hops. Most of them also use the same base malt, and there are a couple of other malt types that many (but not all) share in common.

AH - HAH!!!!

:laugh:

Got to love it! Whatever the common taste is, and it is there. Whatever the cause, and there is one. One says yeast, one says hops and I said malt just to move the discussion on. Since we all have different taste buds and noses and we all have different water and we all can do slightly different things as we brew it is hard to get a common working ground. I therefore purpose that you all send me at least 1 sample of 2 or 3 beers that you feel have a common taste thread. I will dutifully taste each sample to determine the commonality within the brews. Resistance is futile, send your samples immediately.