Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LowTech

Black Tower Porter X

I'm waiting for my wort temp to drop low enough to pitch the yeast, but here's what I came up with a few hours ago:
Black Tower Porter X
------------------
Brewer: LowTech
Style: Robust Porter
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.068 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 22 IBU
Alcohol by Volume: 6.6%

Ingredients
-----------
Amber DME 1.50 lb, Extract
Crystal 40L 0.49 lb, Grain, Steeped
MrB. Black Tower Porter 2.42 lb, Extract
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.56 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
MrB. Black Tower Porter 2.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

American Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Fermentis US-05
Finings 1.00 unit, Fining, Irish Moss, .5 tsp
Generic ingredient 1.00 unit, Other, Wyeast yeast nutrient, .25 tsp

I nailed the OG but my boil was larger this time so the chilled gallon of water didn't bring the temp down.

How long can you wait to pitch the yeast after bringing the water level to 8.5 quarts?

The sooner you can get the temp down to a pitching temperature of 75* the better. Cover your keg and try immersing it partway in a tub of cool water. From what I've read, long periods of cooling can produce compounds that can negatively affect the flavor of your beer. I don't remember off the top of my head just what, and I'm not near my reference materials at the moment. Most sources say that you are safe to aerate your wort at temps below 78*, but I like to go a bit lower for insurance. If you go past 75* for pitching, it may take a bit longer for your ferment to get going, but in my experience you'll be okay.

You can wait till you get you pitch temps, no other choice.

Just start your fermentation temp regulation procedures now.

I've done something similar to this brew and it's was great.

My aquarium thermo probe said 74F so I pitched, waited, and whisked 'til I couldn't.

I had pre-chilled my fermenting cooler beforehand and put the keg inside on top of a frozen ice pad. Then packed ice bottles all around it. Took about 20 minutes.
Here's hoping!

It takes a good half hour to cool five gallons with a wort chiller. You'll be fine. Before I made my chiller I cooled the wort in a tub for several hours and never noticed a problem.

;)
Down to 72F now.

This was my first batch with the Mr Beer porter. Had to jack it up a little. I thought I had come full circle with all the malts but checked my spreadsheet and found no porter. Hmph. The deal is done now.

Next will be the Trippel.

Just did my first back of black tower myself and like you I couldn't help but to adjust it.

I did it on my campstove on at my LHBS

I'll post the recipe and label next week

What was your boil volume, Star?

I adjusted my OG reading for the temp and, uh, it's a bit higher than I thought. Around 1.071. I have my temps down to 66F now. Just where US-05 likes it...
handsome krausen right now...

StarRaptor wrote:

if I recall Low it was around half a gallon maybe more

My boil was a little over half a gallon, too. I used 4 cups to rinse the steep. I had more in my boil pot but got lucky and didn't spill any going into the keg.

As promised here is the recipe I brewed up on my camp stove

Campsite_Brewing.jpg

Recipe Campsite Smoked Jalapeño Porter
Style Robust Porter
Brewer Scott Bennett
Batch 2.13 gal

Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.057 OG
Estimated FG 1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 38 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 5.5%
Recipe Color 47° SRM

Ingredients
0.22 lb Brown Sugar
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (US)
0.50 lb Crystal 120L
2.42 lb MrB. Black Tower Porter

Hops
0.50 oz Cascade Pellet 20 minutes
0.50 oz Willamette Pellet 15 minutes
0.50 oz Willamette Pellet 10 minutes
2.00 oz MrB. Black Tower Porter Pellet 5 minutes

Yeast
1.00 unit East Coast Yeast Yeast WLP008

Recipe Notes
6 Small Jalapeño Peppers (seeded and coarsely chopped)
1 Teaspoon Liquid Smoke (Hickory)

Campsite_Smoked_Jalapeo_Porter_small.png

Nice! So that little Coleman stove did the job, huh? Did you have it hooked up to a 17lb tank?

I better not share this with the wife, otherwise I may end up kicked out of the kitchen. :)

StarRaptor wrote:

Before I say it did the job let me taste the results this weekend when I bottle it

But did it "do the job" as far as heating up the water and contolling the boil?

Please, please don't keep us hangin'! :ohmy:

Seriously, I was just wondering the same thing BC just asked about this. I'm considering doing the same process with a camp stove. But if it's a pain in the butt, I'll go big and go the turkey fryer route like others here.

Thanks..
Z

Zobl wrote:

StarRaptor wrote:

Before I say it did the job let me taste the results this weekend when I bottle it

Seriously, I was just wondering the same thing BC just asked about this. I'm considering doing the same process with a camp stove. But if it's a pain in the butt, I'll go big and go the turkey fryer route like others here.

Thanks..
Z

Same thinking, here. I've been holding off on getting the big turkey fryer deal until I start doing the AG batches. But, this would get me out of my the kitchen for my 60 minute boils, which I am sure my wife would be grateful for. I have the same camp stove that StarRaptor used, so this could be a solution.

All I had to do was mention that I would like to try deep frying a turkey and my wife was all for buying the turkey frying rig.

Sham Addams wrote:

All I had to do was mention that I would like to try deep frying a turkey and my wife was all for buying the turkey frying rig.

Lucky!
nappy.jpg

I said the same thing and got "we don't need that!"
:S

Zobl wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

Lucky!
nappy.jpg

I said the same thing and got "we don't need that!"
:S

I have heard that a few times too' :)

Brew City wrote:

Zobl wrote:

StarRaptor wrote:

Thanks..
Z

Same thinking, here. I've been holding off on getting the big turkey fryer deal until I start doing the AG batches. But, this would get me out of my the kitchen for my 60 minute boils, which I am sure my wife would be grateful for. I have the same camp stove that StarRaptor used, so this could be a solution.

To answer the question it handled the boil quite well. The coffee pot which I used to steep my grains heated real fast and went over my range a few times when I wasn't looking.

As far as the boil went for brew pot, the stove handled it no problem.

Easily could have boiled a full gallon plus.

Several of the brewers there mentioned how cool of an idea it was and for a Mr Beer Size batch it worked perfectly.

Probably won't actually do it camping for multiple reasons with the biggest being my wife thinks I brew too much as it is.

Campsite_Smoked_Jalapeo_Porter_small.png

Love the barcode. UPC8? I love the recipe even better. I haven't ever tried a crystal that dark. Gotta hear how this one turns out!
:stout:

I'm really please with how this one is fermenting. Can't see any of the yeast magic because the beer is so dark but the krausen began to subside and the thin film on top looks like a chocolate milk shake. The aroma is too much. I left my wife to rotate the ice bottles once a day.

I think this batch will sit for a full 3 weeks. Let the US-05 do its thang...

are you sure you can trust the contents to be there if your wife is watching it? Women historically (or is that histerically) have had a problem resisting chocolate...in any form...just sayin'

oh my god... bottled Campsite today with my wife (part of a marathon 9 gallon bottling) and so far it is spot on!

you can taste the smoke but its not over powering and it has a really nice jalapeno aftertaste that isn't too hot.

I think I have a really winner here

I'm so intrigued by this... but I just threw out my jalps. :-( (they were getting old) Plus I want to brew my first BTP close to stock to see how its "supposed" to taste. It is sitting on my counter ready to go while I read up on others' thoughts on it. Very nice thread guys. Thanks. If I may hijack temporarliy though, why do many people say to add 1# DME to it? Just for thickness and more ABV or what? I have 1/5# wheat DME left over from a prev batch... should I go for it too?

yankeedag wrote:

are you sure you can trust the contents to be there if your wife is watching it? Women historically (or is that histerically) have had a problem resisting chocolate...in any form...just sayin'

I am married to the only girl in the world that doesn't have the chocolate gene. It's weird. My daughter and I both jones for chocolate!

I wasn't sure if she was changing out the ice bottles for the porter so I asked her what the temp was when she swapped out the bottles. "68.7", she said. Well, alrighty, then! :woohoo:

Now THAT'S a KEEPER! nice catch... (how in the hecj did YOU get that lucky?) hahaha ;-)

EDIT:
(spelling error, lucky for licky... honestly, it was a mistake!)

Definately a keeper!! The only comments I get on brew day from my wife is "oo that smells!!" It could be a hop boil, or just a steeping. It doesn't matter. I steeped Crystal 40L for the first time yesterday and it smelled AWESOME!!

I had to bottle this batch early. I'll be away from home for a spell and have never racked to a secondary. I checked my hydrometer and it was about 6 points above predicted. :angry:
Sooo, I used 26 grams of light brown to prime the batch. About half of what I would have used. I'm hoping the bottles don't burst. Does anyone have a similar tale? Did the beer have to age longer than normal?