Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coulter

Recipe suggestions

Hey guys, I'm needing some suggestions for my next batch. My favorite are wheat beers such as Boulevard Wheat, etc. I'm not necessarily looking for a Bouldevard clone but just something along that line. What would you recommend??

Thanks!

I've never had that beer, but I looked at a description of it on their website. They describe it as 4.4% ABV with 13 IBU and an EBC color of 7.5. I've also read a few online reviews to get a sense of it.

The 7.5 EBC translates to roughly 3.75 SRM (the color system that Mr Beer uses).

The IBUs are pretty low, so we'll get back to that.

The 4.4% ABV will be pretty easy to hit.

They use Simcoe and Magnum hops.

Are you trying to do this with Mr Beer ingredients?

I'll assume you are. I think I'd go with one can of the Witty Monk Witbier HME and one can of the Golden Wheat UME. That will give you somewhere in the range of 4-4.5% ABV, 4 or 5 SRM and 9 IBU.

I went with the Witbier HME and golden wheat UME because of the low IBU you're aiming for. If you went with the Whispering Wheat HME, you'd be well over that.

Mr Beer doesn't sell Magnum or Simcoe hops. Columbus and Northern Brewer are supposed to be substitutes for Magnum. I didn't find a good substitute for Simcoe. The closest I found was Cascade. And trying to keep the IBUs low, I wouldn't use very much or boil for very long.

Do you have a scale that can weigh in grams?

If I were trying this with Mr Beer ingredients, I'd do this:

Buy:
1 Witbier HME
1 Golden Wheat UME
1 oz Cascade pellet hops
1 oz Columbus pellet hops (or 1 oz of Northern Brewer)
1 packet One Step

I'd brew it this way:
Sanitize as usual
Pour 4 qt cold water in the fermenter.
Bring water to boil with UME.
Add 5 g Cascade (about 1/6 of a packet) and 3 g of Columbus (1/10 of a packet). If you get the Northern Brewer hops instead of Columbus, use 5 g.

Boil for 5 minutes.

Turn off heat and add HME.
Stir.
Add water to 8.5 qt mark.
Stir
Add yeast from under lid of HME.
Wait 5 minutes and stir to aerate.

Let it ferment for 2 weeks. Bottle as usual and let it carb for 2 weeks. Wheat beers are often good to drink when they're fairly young, so it may be ready then. I like to let all my beers sit for at least another couple of weeks.

Depending on the tastes you're aiming for, you could probably use just Cascade hops and use 10g (about 1/3 of a packet). You could also use the Whispering Wheat HME and skip the additional hops (basically making it the Wheat beer Deluxe refill). That would be easier, but a little hoppier.

You may also want to experiment with zesting oranges and/or lemons and maybe adding coriander, especially if you use the whispering wheat HME instead of the Witbier.

coulter wrote:

Hey guys, I'm needing some suggestions for my next batch. My favorite are wheat beers such as Boulevard Wheat, etc. I'm not necessarily looking for a Bouldevard clone but just something along that line. What would you recommend??

Thanks!

Are you in Kansas City? I am from the area (De Soto, KS to be exact), and miss Boulevard Wheat dearly. I would say BP gave you a great recipe, one that I will pick up on my next brew club order.

I will do mine with the Whispering Wheat, and skip the zesting of lemons/oranges and coriander. I just don't care for those ingredients, but that is just me.

Bp, Thank you soo much for taking the time to do the research and typing all this out! I'm just amazed at how knowledgable you guys are! I love wheat beers and I'm going to try this out immediately. I think I'm going to put some orange zest in it and see how it goes. Man, thanks again! I'll post the results.

Cheers!!

Mxstar, I'm not from KS but pretty close, I'm in Oklahoma (Tulsa area). I'm a huge fan of all wheat beers especially Boulevard. I just checked my stash and couldn't believe it but actually have everything I need to give this a shot. So I now have my morning planned out!

I want to be clear that I haven't tried the beer you're trying for and I haven't tried the recipe I posted.

I'm not saying my recipe won't be any good. Just that it's untested and little more than a guess.

If you use my recipe (or a variation of it), please let us know how it turned out. I'd be interested in how close I came to "cloning" a beer I've never had, but I'm really more interested in how you like the result.

Orange rinds, coriander, grains of paradise....sounds like you'll love a few of the Mr. Beer recipes I've tweaked to use those ingredients! They come in at over 4% ABV but they are really tasty, if you like Blue Moon and SA White Ale style beer.

Either way keep in mind that 'a little coriander goes a long, long way'.Sam Adams White Ale

Screwy Brewer

Damn I wanna crack open my WITBIER I just bottled on 7/21... alas, i must wait. :side:

Guest System Admin

I like trying different ingredients to make stouts.

Dark DME + dark roasted specialy grains, galena hops, e.g.

Hell, I love beer, I love 'em all. Light, Amber, Dark, hoppy ... Yousa!

I like simple recipes, though. And steeping some grain is a must.

I will tell you that my recipe mods for Mr. Beer Sticky Wicket knocked my friends for a loop, they loved it. I'll try to remember to post the recipe, I'm at work I don't have it here. Basically, steep some grain, Sticky Wicket refill with xtra DME and galena hops. Killer. Fucking delicious. I'll try to post recipe, maybe tonight. It may have been the sticky wicket HME providing all the great characteristics, but modded was so good I wouldn't try it any other way.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

Orange rinds, coriander, grains of paradise....sounds like you'll love a few of the Mr. Beer recipes I've tweaked to use those ingredients! They come in at over 4% ABV but they are really tasty, if you like Blue Moon and SA White Ale style beer.

Either way keep in mind that 'a little coriander goes a long, long way'.Sam Adams White Ale

Screwy Brewer

I've been using lotsa malt, and my brews are usually 6.5 - 7.0 ABV, but I'm getting into lighter ones now.

Guest System Admin

I also added the same ingredients to the Wicked Monk that I brewed back in May of this year. The same great smooth taste but at 6.9%ABV.

A week or so ago, I decided to brew a bunch of 3.7-4.6%ABV beers to drink in this really hot weather we've been having here lately. I can see now I should have brewed them in May instead of July so they'd be ready to drink for July and August. I know now that I have to brew my recipes about 6-8 weeks earlier than when I plan on drinking them, to allow time for fermentation, carbonation and conditioning.

I like 'em all too, stout's, porters, wheats, pilsners and can't seem to get enough of a good thing.

Screwy Brewer

Same here, been wanting the lower ABV so I can keep drinkin em and not feel so weighed down. I'll post my grain-teeped nut-brown as soon as I find my recipe I made up again in the pile here.

Coulter, did you decide on your beer recipe for the next batch? All HME / LME or with grains or what?

Hey Real, I've been away for quite awhile but just tried bp's recipe that he posted above, today. Every thing went great so now just have to wait a month or two...Where is the fast forward button??? Waiting is the hardest part, but well worth it!

I'm thinking after this batch I'm just going to start experimenting and see what happens. I wish I could differentiate between the different hops, malts etc but hopefully by just experimenting I'll be able to tell the difference and come up with my own recipes etc.

coulter wrote:

Hey Real, I've been away for quite awhile but just tried bp's recipe that he posted above, today. Every thing went great so now just have to wait a month or two...Where is the fast forward button??? Waiting is the hardest part, but well worth it!

I'm thinking after this batch I'm just going to start experimenting and see what happens. I wish I could differentiate between the different hops, malts etc but hopefully by just experimenting I'll be able to tell the difference and come up with my own recipes etc.

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread.

Which variation of the recipe did you use?

Please keep us posted on the results.

Hey BP! I used the Witbier HME and the Golden Wheat UME like you said. I ordered the Cascade and Columbus hops originally but last minute decided to try something and ordered some Magnum and Simcoe hops from Northern Brewer. I don't know much about hops (slowly learning, though) but used 3g of the Magnum and 5g of the Simcoe. I zested two oranges and put that in as well. It seems like from everything I've read that most people use three oranges but didn't want to make it too overpowering so just figured I'd try two.

Now I must wait! :angry:

I'll definitely keep you posted!

Thanks!

I too love Boulevard Wheat on tap. To me, the bottled is a waste of money. My last attempt to match is delicious. I used the Mr. Beer Lemon Weissbier recipe with a couple of changes. I added 1 tsp corriander, use only one small lemon (juice & grated zest) and no cloves. It is now 3.5 months old and is great served with a lemon slice. It may have been been ready sooner, but I am just now enjoying it.

To me that sounds like a great recipe. Only thing I'm not sure of is the impact of a whole teaspoon of coriander seeds. Did you crush them before adding to the fermenter, like I did? I added the zest and juice of 2 limes to the 2 gallon fermenter just before pitching the yeast, similar to the CLL recipe and 2 seemed to be the magic number.