Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
yankeedag

smithwicks clone

trying to do a clone of smithwicks. finished it early this afternoon, went shopping, came back about 2.5 hours later, bubblin'. About a 1.5 hour later, RABIES!! Good thing I have a blow off tube on the Space Alien!
080610smithwickclone.jpg

Awesome! Anxious to hear how this one turns out. One of my pet projects soon as well...

not to worry. I'll let the wife be the judge of the turn out. if it's good, you know I'll post. if it's bad, well, buggar, I'll fess up.

update. transfered it to 2nd'ry on the 11th. naturally I took a gravity reading...20, needs a 13. I didn't want to contaminate the batch so I was "forced" to drink the sample. Now before I tell you what I thought, I also got the wife to sample the sampe. did I say sample? anyway, she gave her "ew!beer taste! face" and then the little light came on shortly after the initial green beer bitter taste. She said: "That has a nice after taste". Now, as to what I thought... um, what she said. I should be bottling it on or about the 20th.

.5 lb carahell (steeped)
6 lbs Light DME
1 oz UK first gold leaf plugs 60 min boil
3/4 oz uk fuggle hop 15 min Boil
3/4 oz uk kent golding hop 15 min boil
1 tsp irish moss 15 min boil
1/4 oz uk fuggle hop Flameout
1/4 oz uk kent golding hop Flameout
11.5 g S33 yeast

yankeedag wrote:

.5 lb carahell (steeped)
6 lbs Light DME
1 oz UK first gold leaf plugs 60 min boil
3/4 oz uk fuggle hop 15 min Boil
3/4 oz uk kent golding hop 15 min boil
1 tsp irish moss 15 min boil
1/4 oz uk fuggle hop Flameout
1/4 oz uk kent golding hop Flameout
11.5 g S33 yeast

carahell? :huh:

swenocha wrote:

Zobl wrote:

carahell? :huh:

Carahell® Malt

10-4 swenocha

Hadn't seen or heard of that malt before. Now I will probably see it all the time at the LHBS or on-line! :laugh:

yankeedag wrote:

"hell" german for light

You'd think with my German/Austrian heritage I'd know that.
What the hell do I know! ;)

...and yest, there is a town called "Hell" in Germany, and every year, wait for it....

Hell does Freeze Over....

yankeedag wrote:

...and yest, there is a town called "Hell" in Germany, and every year, wait for it....

Hell does Freeze Over....

No need to go to Germany. We have our little Hell here in Michigan!

hell_720235.jpg

Well there you have it sports fans! we've shown that hell does freeze over every year, and you thought you'd have to wait a long time for your team to win...

yankeedag wrote:

Well there you have it sports fans! we've shown that hell does freeze over every year, and you thought you'd have to wait a long time for your team to win...

Wellll....Michigan is also home to the Lions. :blush: :whistle:

yankeedag wrote:

that's a different hell isn't it?

it is.
It is one that builds up each week and slaps you in the face HARD on a Sunday. By Thursday, maybe, you have regained your strength and can take another dose the next weekend. Do this for 4 months and watch everyone else have fun in the playoffs.

But (and I say this every year) I think this is the year we turn it around! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Your sad, pathetic Detroit Lions fact for the day...

There are officially no remaining draft picks on the 2010 roster from the 2002-2006 Lion drafts. The final one was released about two weeks ago. How many NFL teams can say that. Place your thank you card to Matt Millen in the mail on Monday. (Thanks Sports Illustrated, for pointing that out)

Brew City wrote:

Your sad, pathetic Detroit Lions fact for the day...

There are officially no remaining draft picks on the 2010 roster from the 2002-2006 Lion drafts. The final one was released about two weeks ago. How many NFL teams can say that. Place your thank you card to Matt Millen in the mail on Monday. (Thanks Sports Illustrated, for pointing that out)

Millen.jpg

Bough a sixer on the way home from the saucer last night. One of my new favs. Thanks for the tip and I hope it turns out great.

ok, cracked a bottle of it open tonight. yummy. The wife likes it. Nice head. lacing is great. I took a pic of it after the pour. still drinking it. got it down to the top of the MB lable in me mug. pics tomorrow.

yankeedag wrote:

ok, cracked a bottle of it open tonight. yummy. The wife likes it. Nice head. lacing is great. I took a pic of it after the pour. still drinking it. got it down to the top of the MB lable in me mug. pics tomorrow.

It's tomorrow!
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

right after the pour and brought to the computer as I read the posts after class last night...
091610smithwickclone001.jpg
lacing...good taste too
091610smithwickclone002.jpg091610smithwickclone003.jpg
more lacing...091610smithwickclone005.jpg

Not sure if I should do that FT... I'm thinking that running them thru my kidneys might give them an off taste to you....

yankeedag wrote:

Not sure if I should do that FT... I'm thinking that running them thru my kidneys might give them an off taste to you....

LOL :laugh:
At least you told him up front!

Well, I've been known to tell some stories, but I normally insure they "know" they're stories. I'm such a bad lier...

yankeedag wrote:

right after the pour and brought to the computer as I read the posts after class last night...
091610smithwickclone001.jpg
lacing...good taste too
091610smithwickclone002.jpg091610smithwickclone003.jpg
more lacing...091610smithwickclone005.jpg

Tried Smithwicks for the first time tonight. Very Nice! $10.49 a six-pack here. Gonna learn how to steep some grains, and then maybe give this clone a try. Thanks Yankeedag!

Smithwicks_resized.JPG

I've got mine out for evaluation by a local (sorta) brew club. I'll find out what they think of it come next week. I actually put the "clone" in a Smithwicks bottle and gave it to the Pres. of the club. He knows what's in it, but thought it funny I'd use that bottle. He likes head games too.