Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coulter

Recommended reading

Hey guys! Is there any books or any websites you would recommend to further my education on homebrewing, ingredients etc? I'm eventually wanting to step up and do all-grain recipes but am waaay to inexperienced and want to learn more about grains, hops, malts and all the other basic ingredients and techniques used. I've done several Mr. Beer recipes, but since everything is already mixed up and paired up for that specific recipe I'm not learning much except for the basic process of homebrewing. Brew on!!

Thanks!

+1 to the above; How to Brew is an excellent resource. I don't have his book yet but it's only a matter of time--I much prefer leafing through a book than plowing through web pages.
Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" and "The Homebrewers Companion" are invaluable references. Stephen Snyder's "The Brewmaster's Bible" is also a book you will be likely to refer to on a regular basis.
There are a couple of books put out by Storey Publishing, "Clone Brews", and "North American Clone Brews" which are a nice addition to a brewing library.
I have also heard much about "Brewing Classic Styles" and "Brew Like a Monk", authors currently unknown to me, but they are both on my purchase list. There are others. I'm sure that if you read this board long enough, you will see them mentioned.
As Charlie would say, "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew".

olorin, if you get the book How to Brew, get his newest version. It incorporates the old stuff too, but is updated.

truckndad wrote:

Brewing For Dummies is another good one.

I tried to read that one but it was over my head.

olorin, if you get the book How to Brew, get his newest version. It incorporates the old stuff too, but is updated.

I'll do that; thanks for the advice.

I tried to read that one but it was over my head

:laugh:

You gotta take it off the shelf to read it gophers6...

:laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

By the way, most of these books are much shorter than they appear. Brewing is much less complicated than it appears on the surface. A great deal of the pages in these books are dedicated to recipes devised by the authors. Nothing wrong with that, some of them are excellent, and a great basis for exploring on your own. B)

I would recommend buying Palmer's How to Brew. I am glad I have a hard copy of it, as I've made notes in it and have it handy while I am brewing. I still use the online one, but don't like having the laptop in the brewing area. I am a strict follower (or victim) of Murphy's Law.

I like Palmer's writing a lot more than Papazian's. Papazian's books were good and helped a lot of people get into the hobby over the years, but for my personal preference, I turn to Palmer. It's nothing to do with content, but more so the writing style that I relate to.

Just finished reading Brewing Classic Styles. A lot of great recipes in there and a great way to learn the styles, although Jamil has a fetish with Munich malt. They're all extract recipes of which at least 75% call to use Munich extract. Not the easiest to find and it can be pricey. I would someday like to brew myself through the book, but to do so I will definitely be doing Partial Mash methods.

yankeedag wrote:

You gotta take it off the shelf to read it gophers6...

Good one yankeedag!!! :laugh:

Another good one is Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher. It gives a good history of many brewing styles and some very interesting recipes.