Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MrsBrew

Bottle Caps

I sterilize my bottle caps by boiling them for 10 minutes.

Does anyone recommend a different method? I have not had any problems - just curious.

Oh, and what does 'borg' stand for?

THANKS!!

:cheers: :gulp: Hi yes that is a good idea. My oldest son works in a lab and he says that the one step is good enough to sanitize everything we brew with and to use it like it says 10 minutes.

My 2 cents worth?

If it works for you...then it's good.

I put my caps in a bowl filled with Starsan. I take the cap out once I fill the bottle. Set the cap on top of the bottle. I cap them after I have 6-7 bottles ready.

Happy Brewing. :cheer:

When I was bottling (before I found the wonderful awesomeness that is kegging) I would use either one step or starsan for a while (which usually depended on what all I was doing at that time, but more than likely was a minimum of 10 mins).

If you use the oxygen absorbing bottle caps (for glass bottles), you don't want to boil them. The high heat will evidently destroy their O2 absorbing capabilities.
Borg refers to the race of cyborg aliens that posed the great threat in "Star Trek, The Next Generation". Their memorable line was "Prepare to be assimilated, resistance is futile". I don't know who incorporated that line into this forum and the beer borg. Probably Yankeedag, he's a pretty witty guy.

pretty and witty, huh? Now I am picturing yankeedag dancing around his brew room singing West Side Story.

I am going to be using the oxygen absorbing bottle caps for my Eisbock and Barleywine, as I will be storing those bottles for quite some time. Good advice on not boiling, olorin.

I will usually just soak the caps in OneStep while I am sanitizing everything else. I sanitize them in a separate bowl, because I will, without fail, drop at least one of them on the floor during bottling and will have to rinse it off and re-sanitize. I always throw a few extra in the bowl, too, in case one doesn't seal well or if I am able to squeeze extra bottles out of a batch.

If I'm bottling alone I do the same.

The best bottling Line I've done yet was a four person line, one would hand the filler a bottle, who would then bottle it an hand it to me, I'd put a cap on it and hand it off to the capper

Dudley wrote:

does it cost you any beer?

I was actually helping out another brewer who was brewing at another brewers house so I actually got beer.

At home the most I've bottle with has been 2, mostly my wife, a couple times with my mom and a few times with random friends who come over to brew (we bottle what's in the keg then on to brewing)

I pretty much do all the beer making and bottling. The wife will make lables so I know what I'm about to open, or know when I can open it.
As far as the "BeerBorg" bit goes, I didn't start it, however I added to it and drug it along long enough for it to be a fixture here.
And as far as "dancing around singing West Side Story", um, not so much. Maybe making enchantments over my brews while wearing my Wizzard clothing maybe...

Dudley wrote:

Sounds like a good time

Awesome time, my buddy made some shepard's pie, then we brewed some barley wine and finished up by bottling one of his friends SNPA Clone

Overall I was there from 7 to midnight

I don't boil mine, I just soak in One Step along with the bottles and go from there.

Sometimes a full 10 minutes, sometimes 60 seconds - depends on how well I plan ahead and how much time I want to spend bottling.

ZekesWickedHardCoreBrew wrote:

Look out for the Daleks

NewDalek1.jpg

You are kooky! :woohoo:

MrsBrew wrote:

I sterilize my bottle caps by boiling them for 10 minutes.

Does anyone recommend a different method? I have not had any problems - just curious.

Oh, and what does 'borg' stand for?

THANKS!!

I lick mine and then wipe them under my armpit.
If they don't look shiny enough, I might rub them on my shirt tail.

:ohmy:

OK
I use StarSan. Don't fear the foam!

I think the Deleks like was: "Exterminate"... I'll have to ask the wife. She was a big fan of Doctor Whosywhatsits when she was growing up...use to hide under the table when the Deleks started exterminating...

The phrase "resistance is futile" is star treck Borg, along with: "you will be assimilated". We haven't used "Interesting" from Spock, or "What's this Red Button do?" from The Day the Lab Blew up.

I must be really drunk. I don't know what the hell you guys are talkin about.
Dr.jpg

Last time I boiled my caps I noticed the high temp distorted the plasticky ring of sealing material in the cap or something. It just didn't look quite right. Guess I got spooked at that and never boiled again. I make sure there's no surface dirt or anything, give 'em a good rinse under running water then soak them in a bowlful of 1-step. Haven't had any issues yet.

When it comes down to it, I'll use one step or my iodine solution. I toss them in the bottle washer, and pull them out before bottling.

hoovied wrote:

Last time I boiled my caps I noticed the high temp distorted the plasticky ring of sealing material in the cap or something. It just didn't look quite right. Guess I got spooked at that and never boiled again. I make sure there's no surface dirt or anything, give 'em a good rinse under running water then soak them in a bowlful of 1-step. Haven't had any issues yet.

Yes, I've been a little concern with the high heat affecting the plastic. I'm going to switch to using One Stop or Oxyclean (& rinse, rinse, rinse.)

Thanks for all the advice. Oh, and some of you need to stop drinking before answering (LOL)!

Maybe I'm wrong....but I don't think Oxyclean is a sanitizer. It's only a cleaner.

One-step will work. And you don't "Have" to rinse, rinse, rinse with one-step.

They are 'your' caps...do what 'you' want.

yes, no need to hit the caps with Oxyclean...unless you've been very bad with them. just give them a spritz of sanitizer (your choice of) and you should be good.

yankeedag wrote:

The phrase "resistance is futile" is star treck Borg, along with: "you will be assimilated". We haven't used "Interesting" from Spock, or "What's this Red Button do?" from The Day the Lab Blew up.

the_borg.jpg

My License plate is NC1701B ;)

Gotta love the Vikings ....

39905.jpg

FWIW ... I santize @ 30 caps in my one step for @ 20 mins ... I have not have any issues yet but I have only bottled 4 cases so far with pry offs. I just put them in with my bottles when I santize them.

Husteak wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong....but I don't think Oxyclean is a sanitizer. It's only a cleaner.

One-step will work. And you don't "Have" to rinse, rinse, rinse with one-step.

They are 'your' caps...do what 'you' want.

You are right - Oxyclean is only a cleaner. I'll stick with sanitizing the caps with the bottles using One Step. This makes more sense to me & a time-saver.

Thanks for everyones suggestions!!