Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
swenocha

#25: Hard Lemonade (take 2)

The last hard lemonade (made way back in my first month at this) was decent but lacking. It was too bitter, not sweet enough, and lacked as much lemon flavor as I would have preferred. That was remedied by pouring it into a couple fingers of "regular" lemonade at the time of drinking.

The wife liked the other pass OK, but really is not a fan of beer, and preferred that I try another go with a malt extract-free base. Thus, I am pretty much just fermenting a straight up lemonade (albeit way over the top on sugars) and, since I'm using some leftover dry wine yeast, it may be more of a lemon wine when all is said and done. May suck, may be good... who knows...

Which leads to this experiment:

Hard Lemonade 2
---------------
Brewer: Swenocha
Style: Fruit Beer
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.092 OG (this is an estimate based on QBrew, and the fact that it was off of the hydrometer chart!)
Recipe Bitterness: 0 IBU
Recipe Color: 1° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.023
Alcohol by Volume: 8.9%
Alcohol by Weight: 7.0%

Ingredients
-----------
Corn Sugar 2.25 lb, Sugar, Other
Corn Syrup 2.25 lb, Sugar, Other
MrB. Booster 0.81 lb, Sugar, Other

Dry Wine Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,
Lemonade 4.00 unit, Additive, 4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate
Xylitol 0.50 unit, Other, 1/2c added to boil

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Put 1/2 gallon water in pot
Add booster and dissolve
Add corn sugar and boil
Put 1 gallon cold water and concentrate to keg
Add wort to keg, top up water
Aerate, pitch, aerate

Batch Notes:
- Lactose Intolerance of consumer leads to use of Xylitol. Calculation based on others who have used in ciders.
- Estimate of corn syrup is based on corn syrup in frozen lemonade

Batch prime as normal
Plan to add "real lemon" powder to taste, and maybe more xylitol

I'm not a hard lemonade fan. I've never attempted to make it, but whenever I've had a Mike's Hard Lemonade or two, it gave me a stomachache.

But I seem to remember that Mike's Hard Lemonade is a malt beverage, no? Not malt liquor, not beer, but I seem to remember seeing on the label that it's a malt beverage.

I dunno. I'm wondering if this recipe is going to yield a thinner, drier product than you're looking for. Or something along the lines of a lemon wine, as you put it.

Keep us posted on the progress of this, but I'm gonna do a search to see if Mike's is, indeed, a malt liquor of sorts.

ETA: Well, their website says "Premium Malt Beverages", so I suppose there's malt in it. Not definitive, I know, but there ya go.

Mikes is indeed a malt beverage. That's where the first recipe came from (as well as from Sirius' original recipes). Fortunately, I'm not trying to emulate Mike's here, so I won't be looking for a clone, per se...

My wife (who is planning to be the main consumer) is lactose intolerant, so Mike's does the same thing to her as it does to you (thus the Xylitol instead of the lactose for sweetening). It is a grand (and very cheap) experiment. We'll see how it turns out, no?

I made a variation of Sirius's recipe too a few months back. Thought it was pretty good, but like yours, my wife thought it was a little too beer-like.

I had thought about using a rice malt for the base the next time I try this. Any thoughts on how that would change the taste?

Sirius' recipe is definitely more beer-like than lemonade like. It's got some decent body, too. The lemons are the main event, though. A nice crisp, tart, slighly sweet lemon drink with a malt backbone. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

This one is such a mystery...

I've been stuck for quite a while, and the taste is quite good (much, much improved from last time), but the OG and FG were off the charts different. I did end up repitching some ale yeast that I had left over from another project (started in some DME) as the wine yeast was not getting anything done. The wine yeast was a half pack that had been sealed in a baggie in the fridge for a while... I should have known better.

Hard to say what the OG was (the fat of the hydrometer was bobbing at the top of the liquid), but if I had to guess, I'm at 5-6%. F' it... I'm crashing and bottling...

Had a ginger ale tester burst (apparently) last night. Decided to drop the other testers in the fridge for a test. Luckily the whole batch was in a coated vegetable box (those are really great for bottle storage, btw), so the spill was pretty well contained, though everything is pretty sticky...

it must be the season for exploding containers. That, or the Leprechauns have gone viral for some unknown reason...

Actually... it appears that the Grolsch next to it burst as well. I'm guessing that one caused the other, but who knows which one.

Hmm.... what to do, what to do...

It's only been in bottle for two weeks, but I'm considering throwing all of it into the fridge and letting it sit for a few weeks there. I guess the tester will tell the tale.

5005188594_de01d7ae6c_b.jpg

Decided to pop a tester... Been in the fridge a few hours. A gusher when opened. Lots of fizzy and a head that dissipated pretty quickly (pic was after it had settled). This was the trubby, so there is a bunch of pulp (I made the mistake of picking lemonade that included pulp).

Damn, this is tasty. Just what I wanted. Lemonade with an alcohol pop. I'm putting them in the fridge for drinking. Gonna be careful in opening, but am otherwise very pleased...

yankeedag wrote:

Call out E.O.D to ferrit it out... (Exhalted Order of Drunks)

...or you could give the good folks over at Lepre-Gone a call...

Got leprechauns?
Your beer's all gone?
Pick up the phone
Call Lepre-Gone.

B)

So... the grand arbiter has spoken. The wife, who has a dislike for beer and drank some of the last cut, but was turned off by the malt aroma (and to a certain degree the malt taste), took her first sample of the new lemonade tonight. Though she approached it with trepidation, she quickly realized that she really liked it. "Deadly" was her phrase for it, as it tastes like lemonade but has a deceiving wallop. Though I had convinced her that the only malt I used was in a yeast starter, she still assumed it would have the malt aroma that she dislikes, but was happily proven wrong...

@ Swenocha, want to replicate this hard lemonade of your for the summer. Any chance you would post what you would consider a final recipe for it. Basically if you brewed it again what would be different than what you posted above?

What is posted in the first post on this thread was the final recipe for this go. I'm planning a limeade this weekend or so that will likely follow the same recipe. I will point out that I have used frozen lemonade, and I think it's tasty, but many on here only do fresh lemons. If you click my first lemonade link below, you'll get to Sirius' recipe if you prefer to go that way. IMHO, mine is quick and simple, and we've been happy with the results.

Guest System Admin

Thanks, man. I have seen the thread with Sirius and a few others' almost shandy-type lemon beers. I plan on trying both. I stumbled on yours from reading a totally unrelated post and saw it in your signature. I like Leinie's Summer Shandy and was looking to do something like that but am also interested in doing something with no malt, I can just imagine slugging one down after mowing the grass on a 95 degree day. It almost doesn't count as drinking!

Yeah, this recipe almost doesn't seem like drinking... until it slaps you upside the head after a few. Let me know how it works out for you... I'm always up for suggestion and will be interested in any tweaks you come up with...

Last question, for now. How long before you cracked one open? Want to get an idea of when to start it in order to have it ready for about mid June. Thanks again.

Most of 'em went to the fridge after 4 weeks, if memory serves, but the taste at 2 weeks (after by bottle bomb) was fine.

Cool, thanks man for all your advice, I'll let you know how it goes and please post about the limeade too. Here's to fingers crossed for no bottle bombs!

If you look at the old thread, you'll see that I think the problem with the old one was stale yeast, and then likely a too-soon bottling after re-pitching. Even after that, it tasted great. Under normal circumstances, I don't think that you (or I) will have any bottle bomb problems...

Hey swen, I'm reading notes in prep for doing the lemonade tomorrow. I see in the ingredients corn syrup, but can't figure out where in the process you added it. Also, did you get to that limeade?

The corn syrup is in the frozen lemonade. I estimated the amount based on the label of the lemonade. Sorry for the confusion...

Any day now on the limeade...

Ahhh, gotcha, hope the LHBS takes that back, that stuff was relatively expensive. Again, glad I got that cleared up, that would have been somethin.

Hey Swen!

This recipe looks awesome! Can't wait to try it. I have a few questions.

You said that the corn sugar is an estimate for the 4 cans of lemonade concentrate. That I understand; my question is, do you add the concentrate with the booster and boiled water, or do you add it to the fermentor with the gallon of water.

Just wanted some clarification.

Thanks

P.S. I like the fact that you have your past brews tied with hyperlinks. Thats pretty awesome.

Hey Metzger,
I certainly wouldn't want to speak for Swen, but I have been buggin him about this for some time now, and am brewing it later today. It was the corn syrup that I had messed up and bought while Swen was simply accounting for what was in the concentrate. As for the concentrate, I read straight over it last night and had to read the recipe a few times before I realized it was right in front of me

From Swen's Post @ top of this thread

Recipe Notes:
Add booster and dissolve
Add corn sugar and boil
Put 1 gallon cold water and concentrate to keg
Aerate, pitch, aerate

Be sure to post your progress on this. I'm doing it now to see how I like it with plans to tweak if necessary and do a 5 gallon batch for the summer. Good Luck.

I understand that the concentrate is the corn sugar estimation.

But my question is wither to add it and boil (a)
- or -
Add it to the keg with the water (B)

Recipe Notes:
Add booster and dissolve
Add corn sugar and boil (A)
Put 1 gallon cold water and concentrate to keg (B)
Aerate, pitch, aerate

Now I might be over reading this but you said that you bought the corn sugar and was going to return it.

Curious as to what your plans were on this.

Ingredients
-----------
Corn Sugar 2.25 lb, Sugar, Other
Corn Syrup 2.25 lb, Sugar, Other

I bought the corn syrup. That's what was estimated in the concentrate. It's different than the corn sugar.

As for when to add the concentrate I still think it's added to the keg with the water. but I'll leave that up to Swen to clarify.

I added it to the keg with the water. I believe you could add it to the boil as well, but I didn't do that in this go-round.

Thanks for all the help guys. I guess I just needed to read a little better.

I got a bunch of recipes that I have lined up and I will probably make this some time in May and have it ready for June/July. So the timing will be perfect.

Definately let us know how this turns out for you DCEssig.

Being that this is more of a lemon wine would it be ok to make in it my cider wally world streamline? I'm guessing that it wing sensitive to light like a beer would be. I would love to make this for my fiance once her cider batch is done fermenting.

tmed wrote:

Being that this is more of a lemon wine would it be ok to make in it my cider wally world streamline? I'm guessing that it wing sensitive to light like a beer would be. I would love to make this for my fiance once her cider batch is done fermenting.

tmed,
As long as it is unhopped you can brew it in the slimline.

Sham Addams wrote:

tmed wrote:

tmed,

that's what I figured just wanted some of the older brewers sage like advice

tmed wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

tmed wrote:

tmed,

Gee, thanks.

Sham Addams wrote:

tmed wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

tmed wrote:

tmed,

Gee, thanks.

You should see Sham's recipe for bran muffins served with buttermilk!

Zobl wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

tmed wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

tmed wrote:

tmed,

Gee, thanks.

You should see Sham's recipe for bran muffins served with buttermilk!

Haha sorry guys by older I ment experienced haha. :woohoo:

Swen, took a sample of the lemonade this evening to have on hand for gravity testing. I've never taken a sample this early into fermentation, so I don't have any basis for comparison. But seeing how this was basically a test batch, figured better time than ever. So I filled my test tube until my hydrometer started floating, and that lemonade fizzed like seltzer water. Any experience with this, lemonade or other brews? I'll take another sample from the keg before bottling. Is it ever possible to not prime due to carb straight out of the keg, or does that carb mean you have a hell of a lot of time left in the keg before you can consider bottling? Tasted great btw.

Which yeast did you end up using? I'm trying to remember if I had this issue with the dry wine yeast. It may well just be the style of yeast. I know that I only lightly bottle primed, and you may find that you do not need it. Of course, a lemonade or cider really doesn't have to be carbed. It's kind of your choice.

Were you able to get a successful reading?

I used the red star cuvee dry wine yeast. My O.G. was 1.096, reading today was 1.092. Grant it, it's only been like 5 days since brewing, so in no way am i concernced, more eager to learn about the process. Thought i would get massive krausen and was worried about it coming through the lid, but nothing out of the ordinary and got a nice trub layer goin. If it pours out of the bottle with the same taste, carb, and consistency as today, I will be very happy. ABV a little too high, wife will think i set her up!

Yeah, I didn't get much more than a very thin layer of krausen last time, and this time is holding true to that as well. I used a different yeast this time (just for fun), but pretty much the same otherwise (replacing Booster with another can of limeade since I didn't have one on hand). One thing I've seen in reading is that these are slow fermenting yeasts, so I'm more convinced that I bottled too soon last time (though, again, outside the two broken bottles it tasted great). I may leave it for an entire month this time. I'll let you know how it goes...

Swen, time for my weekly "lemonade" check in. For some reason I'm more psyched for this batch than most of my others, probably cuz I know my wife will enjoy it, thus proving the merits of my ever consuming hobby. I'm coming up on 2 weeks since brew, usually I'd test gravity on day 14 and can bottle day 17-20 (usually puts me on a weekend) Seeing how using qbrew was a little dicey, did you have a final gravity in mind before you bottled or did you just test until gravity stopped dropping (if so, where did it stop?)? Going beyond this batch, and with the grocery store freezer section in mind, do you think the same process would work for some of the other concentrates, like the mixed pinapple-orange kind of stuff?

I think I read that there are some ingredients you need to avoid, but I'm not sure where I read that. Otherwise, I think you'd be good to go with whatever suits you. My OG was way out of whack on that particular batch, so I just waited for the readings to settle.

Will be trying this out Thursday once I get some lactose, I assume the lhfs (local health food store) would have xyitol as well?

That's where I got my xyitol... Here's the one I got at the Vitamin Shoppe. Though, if you are using lactose, I'm not sure you'd need it. I used it as a replacement for lactose due to my wife's lactose intolerance.

swenocha wrote:

That's where I got my xyitol... Here's the one I got at the Vitamin Shoppe. Though, if you are using lactose, I'm not sure you'd need it. I used it as a replacement for lactose due to my wife's lactose intolerance.

Cool thanks. Yeah I'm getting lactose for my hard cider that I'm bottling on Thursday, my girl thinks that she wants me not to use lactiose for the lemonade so ill grab some xyitiol as well if the price is comparable.

Question. In the reciep you Say add booster, but i don't see how muxh booster you used. Is this in addition to the corn sugar and xilitol? And can I use cane suger as oppose to corn sugar? Last question (hopefully) did u add lemon powder at batch priming like you predicted you would or was it lemonay enough? Gonna be making this one tomorrow.

I believe that I did end up adding some lemon powder, but don't quote me on that. I'd just give it a taste and judge it regarding the sweetness and the lemon flavor. I had the corn sugar on hand... I wouldn't see why you couldn't use cane sugar instead.

swenocha wrote:

I believe that I did end up adding some lemon powder, but don't quote me on that. I'd just give it a taste and judge it regarding the sweetness and the lemon flavor. I had the corn sugar on hand... I wouldn't see why you couldn't use cane sugar instead.

That would be one whole packet correct?

Swenocha,

I just started a Nong Cider last night and have 1/2 pound lactose leftover that I would like to use on a Lemonade. What, if anything, would you recommend to change if I add the lactose?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

I haven't used lactose, so I don't know what a proper measurement would be. I'd recommend looking at Sirius' recipes for guidance. I think he used 1/2 lb for his batch, so that may be a good amount...

Made my hard lemonade Thursday as planned. Nice sugar y looking krausun on top. I just used a leftover coopers 7gram ale yeast and it seems to be progressing nicely. I may and some cranberry extract at bottling on half the batch and see how that turns out as I'm a fan of mikes hard cranberry lemonade more than regular. I actually got my fiance to help out with this batch which was a nice change of pace.

Did u remember if you used lemon powder arlt bottling and did you add more xyilitol also?

I used half a cup of lactose, sample was very sweet, which I liked. Still in fermenter @ day 18. I had a sample in a bottle and was using that to test gravity, it stalled out @ 1.060, took a new sample and it was @ 1.052, so will retest @ day 21. Still don't know whether to or how I will prime.

On a side note, I had to move the fermenter the other day. While moving it I noticed that I had put the spigot together with the washer on the inside of the keg. Luckily this batch is so sugary that it formed a small tear-drop shaped sugar seal, didn't lose a drop!

Swenocha,

I have a question for you about the calculating of the corn syrup and any help would be appreciated. I saw that you got this from the packaging of the concentrate. I did this for my recipe as well and I think I ended up way wrong. My OG reading a lot higher then I figured it would be.

Here's what I did.

25g sugar per serving (mine were a different brand)
8 servings per can
5 cans (I used 5)
Total = 1000 grams

1000 x .0022 (to convert to lbs) = 2.2 lb Corn Syrup

Is this what you did to calculate this or am I way off here? I think my batch will turn out ok I'm just trying to figure out where I went wrong for future reference.

Thanks for any help or insight = )

Thanks,
Don

That was pretty much my calculation as well, but I don't know how accurate it is. Mine on batch #25 was way off as well (hydrometer was off the chart). On #36, I instead worked it backwards, taking my OG and estimating the corn syrup based on that reading. I have no idea what is actually accurate...

Ok, thanks. That makes me feel better.

I was doing a little more thinking about this and tell me if you think this makes any sense.....

SP of 1 lb of sugar in 1 gal water = 1.046
Putting that into qbrew as 1 lb sugar for a 1 gal batch gives you the correct OG.

I took a SP reading of Minute Maid lemonade and got roughly 1.054. Could I put this into qbrew as 1.054 and make the amount be the volume of lemonade?(this would have to be the volume of mixed lemonade, not concentrate)

My basis for this is that if I mixed X amount of sugar into 1 gallon of water and got 1.054....X should equal the amount of sugar in 1 gallon of lemonade.

Does this make sense or am I way out in left field here?

Sorry for my rambling. You're welcome to say..."Sure...whatever :whistle: " and ignore me :)

Guest System Admin

My wife loved Mikes but has become gluten intolerant (Celiac).

I was thinking maybe this would work just making sure the yeast is a GF version.

She like the sweeter taste of drinks, so this would even be better if sweeter than Mike's

We are looking at trying the Raspberry cider since she loves Wood-Chuck Raspberry.

Searching the net for GF recipes, got a few but this one sounds tasty

Have you tryed making that Nong Cider with lactose? No wheat properties in that...or grains...

Guest System Admin

yankeedag wrote:

Have you tryed making that Nong Cider with lactose? No wheat properties in that...or grains...

Just got back to brewing and working on second batch of beer, so not yet

Just had a sample on day 20 of my hard lemonade to make sure it was good to bottle tomorrow. AMAZING! my fiance loved it as did i. She wanted a full glass as is but I assure her it would be better aftwr sitting in a bottle for a month and carbed. They may have to go in regular rotation. I see what you say as dangerous as there is very little alcohol taste. I did use a little more xtitol then your recipe called for so I don't have to batch prime with any just sugar

Did you add sugar to the batch prime as well? The yeasties will need it to carbonate the lemonade, as the xylitol is not fermentable. Glad to hear that it came out so well!

Guest System Admin

TMed wrote:

Just had a sample on day 20 of my hard lemonade to make sure it was good to bottle tomorrow. AMAZING! my fiance loved it as did i. She wanted a full glass as is but I assure her it would be better aftwr sitting in a bottle for a month and carbed. They may have to go in regular rotation. I see what you say as dangerous as there is very little alcohol taste. I did use a little more xtitol then your recipe called for so I don't have to batch prime with any just sugar

did you modify it or did you use the recipe listed in this post?

Trollby wrote:

TMed wrote:

did you modify it or did you use the recipe listed in this post?

Sorry I ment 20 days in the streamline. I haven't bottled it yet or batch primed. I was saying that since I added extra xyilitol at brewing I won't batch prime with any. just with sugar. I did the recipe as is but just added a extra half cup of xyilitol. I also read that xyilitol is poison to dog :unsure: s so make sure you keep your four legged friends away from it. Brew on :banana: fellas

swenocha wrote:

Gotcha. I understand now. Carry on...

:gulp:
Gonna do your lime ade next :cheers:

Swen, how long did you carb/condition yours? I have mine bottled for a week, I added little sugar for a minor carbonation. Put a tester in the fridge tonight to try on Friday, it'll be almost 70 here and summer fever will be in full effect, figured better time than ever. Is there any "conditioning" going on?

Last time I pulled mine into circulation after the plastic tester got hard. I'm of the opinion, much like you stated, that these don't need much in the way of bottle conditioning...

Last q before I bottle tomorrow. Should I just put 1/2 tsp of sugar equilivent as oppose to 3/4 tsp Mr beer would suggest for bottle priming?

swenocha wrote:

I think that would work...

How much do you use?

I batch prime, so it's a bit different. I went for an ounce for my 2.4 gallon batch this time, which is quite a bit lower than last time (probably 1.5 ounces or so, if memory serves). Just experimenting a touch...

So just to be clear...

You state:

Xylitol 0.50 unit, Other, 1/2c added to boil

So was the total 1/2c added to boil or was there more?

I know batch prime used a little but I figure that was not added in the start recipe

-Edit-

The batch prime was added to 1/2 cup water and heated then cooled?

Sorry... it's been a while since I've done this one. I did add 1/2c to the boil, and then I added more at bottling (I added it with the priming sugar and water, heated then cooled). I really winged the amount on the batch prime based on taste...

Guest System Admin

Just got a email from Mr. Beer that the booster is not Gluten free.

So add additional 3/4# sugar?? maybe GF Maltodextrin?

was at kroger today and was about to grab some more lemonade but saw the pink lemonade next to it. Im gonna make my next batch a HARD & PINK LEMONADE. Im thinking that all the water may dilute the color a little bit so i will add a couple drops of red food coloring? anyone try food coloring in their experiments? I know someone has HAD to make green beer before.

The pink fermented off when I used pink lemonade as a base (it turned out totally pale yellow), so you'll definitely have to color it if you want it pink...

Let's check the math:
Red + Yellow = Orange

How would you (do they) get pink lemonade. I always thought pink lemonade was lemonade with cherry juice, but why isn't the color orange. Or maybe this is one of those things better left unknown. The chemicals involved to make it pink. Ick.

Terminal Idiot wrote:

Let's check the math:
Red + Yellow = Orange

How would you (do they) get pink lemonade. I always thought pink lemonade was lemonade with cherry juice, but why isn't the color orange. Or maybe this is one of those things better left unknown. The chemicals involved to make it pink. Ick.

Looks like ill be whipping out the science book. As I'm determined to make this pink. Hard !nd pink hehe ;)

This may not be the solution you are looking for but I made two batches of lemonade. One regular and one with strawberries....the strawberry one ended up pink.

stclairdp wrote:

This may not be the solution you are looking for but I made two batches of lemonade. One regular and one with strawberries....the strawberry one ended up pink.

Well hell man - don't leave us in suspense. You can't just say that you made a strawberry lemonade and not tell us how it turned out.
Taste good? Smell good (like strawberry)? Did the strawberry flavor make it through fermentation? Did you use fresh strawberries squished up? Or some sort of concentrate?

Thanks,
Greg

Terminal Idiot wrote:

stclairdp wrote:

Well hell man - don't leave us in suspense. You can't just say that you made a strawberry lemonade and not tell us how it turned out.
Taste good? Smell good (like strawberry)? Did the strawberry flavor make it through fermentation? Did you use fresh strawberries squished up? Or some sort of concentrate?

Thanks,
Greg

Yes more details please! I wouldn't mind doing this path

Guest System Admin

Well got the GF version done in the 6qt Mr. Beer Pilot Keg. I changed up some stuff alittle. Maybe help me see how it looks as far as Hydrometer reading.

Ingredients:

8oz GF Maltodextrin (Boil 5.0 min)
8oz Corn Sugar (Boil 5.0 min)
5oz Lactose
4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate (strained)
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Directions:

- Boil a 6 cups of water with the maltodextrine and sugar to dissolve.
- After boil add Lactose and place pot in Ice water bath
- Add frozen concentrate to sanitized fermenter.
- Add purified water to 4qt mark
- Add Sugar water to fermenter
- Top off to top of '6' (Mr. Beer Pilot Keg)
- Stir well, pitch yeast wait 8 min, stir-stir-stir
- seal and place sanitized fementor lock on top and fill just below line on lock

Now the 14-21 day wait

The only problem was I made the mix a little cooler than I wanted, it was 62* at pitch time, I was shooting for 70*

Hydrometer reading 1.102 @ 62*

I am wondering about the OG, worried it might be high??

-- Edit --

I was unde the empression the Maltodextrin was non-frementable worried would be too sweet

Guest System Admin

5 hours after sealing fermentor, 1/2" build up on top and bubbles from locks starting, this looks promising

TMed wrote:

Terminal Idiot wrote:

stclairdp wrote:

Thanks,
Greg

Yes more details please! I wouldn't mind doing this path

It's still carbing right now...I'll be trying it in a few days. When I tasted it at bottling it did taste pretty good. I'll update with more details once I officially try it ; ) I just used a one lb bag of frozen strawberries. I just tossed them into the fermenter. In hindsight I'm wondering if I should have smashed them but when fermentation was done they were pretty well broken down...so it might not have mattered.

Guest System Admin

stclairdp wrote:
It's still carbing right now...I'll be trying it in a few days. When I tasted it at bottling it did taste pretty good. I'll update with more details once I officially try it ; ) I just used a one lb bag of frozen strawberries. I just tossed them into the fermenter. In hindsight I'm wondering if I should have smashed them but when fermentation was done they were pretty well broken down...so it might not have mattered.

Were they "sweetened" strawberries or natural?

Just wondering how much ferment-able sugars were in the strawberries