Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrgoblueguy

Another newbie question-what bottles to use?

What bottles do you guys use? The basic kit said to use regular old pop bottles. I picked up a Mr Beer kit off craigslist last week that has the pale ale, fermenter, booster, sanitizer and 8 brown bottles for only $10. Should I stick with plastic until I get a few batches under my belt?

if you can grab a capper, some caps and some bottles I would move straight to glass.

I started bottling for my first brew. I use to bottle a couple of plastics to measure carbonation but these days I bottle in glass or keg

I still use a combonation of glass and plastic, depending on the brew. I've got a belgian that I love, so it goes into plastic because I know I'll drink it at one sitting. Some other brews go all glass because I might only have one or two.

If you get some of those bottles for 8 bucks a six pack that have free beer in them, make sure they're pop tops. You don't want twist off caps.

All I have ever used is the mrbeer 1 liter, plastic pet bottles. I started brewing 3 years, and 2 months ago. These plastic bottles work fine for me, and I have no reason to change.

If you prefer glass bottles, experiment and see which works the best for you.

The Mr Beer bottles work fine. Make your first brew & see what you think. If you keep on brewing, I'm sure you'll want a capper, glass bottles, & labels! :laugh: It just keeps getting better & better. fathers_day_beer_lg.jpg

I started with a mix of plastic (I have a BMC drinking friend, and as the local Kroger has Coors Light and Miller Lite plastic bottles (on sale right now for $1/bottle, as a matter of fact), I convinced him to switch for a month... I have to admit I choked down a sixer of each as well) and Grolsch flippies that have served me well, but have switched to capper/glass for the last 10-12 batches. I like the glass a lot better, but I also still bottled in plastic for pool consumption and future tailgating. Thus, in my world, there are good reasons for glass or plastic...

Practice with what you have to start with, then try something else. I have used the 1 liter bottles, 2 liter growler, 5 liter mini-keg, 12 oz glass, 16 oz glass, 8 oz water bottles and just got some 22 oz flip tops. The use of the beer as well as the type beer help determine what I use. General low gravity brews get what's available but mainly 1 liter PET or 5 liter mini-keg cause I can drink more at one setting. Medium gravity get 1 liter PET or glass but sometimes 5 liter if I have a party planned. High gravity brews and specialty get glass only and mainly 12 oz cause I generally give them away or only drink 1 or 2 at a setting. I'm thinking about a 2.5 gallon keg system for bigger parties. So you see that each type of bottle and/or keg has it's use. Have fun and try different things once you get going.

swenocha wrote:

I like the glass a lot better, but I also still bottled in plastic for pool consumption ...

Wow, must be a big bottle.

I would hesitate to say that one type of bottle is "better" than another type. For one thing, they all work; your beer gets carbonated and conditioned in the end.

For another thing, they can serve different purposes. If you know you're brewing a batch for tailgating or a large party or to take on a fishing trip with you, then 2 liter plastic bottles probably would be the thing to use.

I've always used glass bottles, and I have two cases of 16-oz. flippies and untold 12-oz. pop-tops. Even there, I use them for different purposes. I bottled my holiday porter in the 16-oz. bottles because it just seemed right to have larger portions for a robust, dark holiday brew. Ordinarily, since I'm usually the primary (or only) consumer of beer, the 12-oz. bottles are fine.

It takes a little advance planning, but that's part of the fun of this hobby; looking ahead and thinking, "I'll make this brew for Memorial Day, and lots of people will be there, so maybe using the large plastic bottles would save time and space."

Eventually you'll settle on what works for you.

The Mr. Beer PETS work just fine, so don't hesitate to keep them full.

I make sure I use the 12 oz glass bottles for a brew that will need to condition for a longer period of time. Or for the really high abv brews, as I have a tendancy to drink the entire 1 liter. I could get myself in trouble with one of those high ABV ones if I put them in the PETs!

onekyds wrote:

All I have ever used is the mrbeer 1 liter, plastic pet bottles. I started brewing 3 years, and 2 months ago. These plastic bottles work fine for me, and I have no reason to change.

If you prefer glass bottles, experiment and see which works the best for you.

3 years +. Just curious how many times have you had to replace your MrBeer caps on those PET bottles?
I typically now only bottle rootbeer in mine and have noticed they don't hold pressure well after about 3 (up to 5 or so) times through the bottling process.

Guest System Admin

When I started brewing, I noticed that on the Long Island Railroad platform the cart lady was selling 16oz bud lites and bus in PET bottles. So, I collected more than 16 of 'em .. enough to bottle a batch from MrBeer fermenter ... either using the MrBeer caps I have or reusing the caps on the bottles.

But ... I've never used them ... I always had them on the ready in case I ran out of glass .. but I managed to keep my glass inventory up, even though I cracked down and bought a couple of cases of glass bottles besides all the glass I was getting from store bought beer ...

Because ...I like the glass with caps .. it just seems so much classier and better .. but that's JMHO.

So ... I now have a big glass inventory that should let me go full tilt brew for a long time. I have enough to bottle another three or four batches past what I'm brewing now even if I didn't empty more bottles by drinking my beer inventory, which I will. If I ever get short on bottles again, I'll just hold off on refilling a fermenter until I have 21, but I don't think I'll need to, because I always hit my beer inventory ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Summary ... I like glass .... but there are others who like PET, so it's up to you.

I change my bottle caps every 2 years. I don't know how long they would last, I have never tried them. I'm happy with what I'm doing.

It is really just whatever works for you. I have never used anything other than glass, usually a mixture of 16 oz flippies and 12 oz capped. I tend to use more flippies with batches I plan to drink mainly by myself. :party:

I have used the MRB PET 1 Litre bottles for almost three years.They have served me well. I have changed the caps after 2 years usage. Thanks for your attention. TonyK