Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
swenocha

#27: Amarillo Wheat Ale

I've had a can of Whispering Wheat since the after Christmas sales at BB&B, and finally decided to do something with it. I really liked the Amarillo Pale Ale that I did, and also am a fan the amarillo-hopped Gumballhead from Three Floyds. So, away I rip...

Amarillo Wheat Ale
-----------
Brewer: swenocha
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.050 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 27 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.012
Alcohol by Volume: 4.8%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Ingredients
-----------
CaraVienne 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Briess DME - Golden Light 0.70 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess DME - Bavarian Wheat 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Whispering Wheat Weizenbier1.21 lb, Extract, Extract

Amarillo 0.12 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes
Amarillo 0.12 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
Amarillo 0.25 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
MrB. Whispering Wheat Weizenbier1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Amarillo 0.50 oz, Pellet, 1 minutes
Amarillo 1.00 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

US-05 yeast

swenocha wrote:

I've had a can of Whispering Wheat since the after Christmas sales at BB&B, and finally decided to do something with it. I really liked the Amarillo Pale Ale that I did, and also am a fan the amarillo-hopped Gumballhead from Three Floyds. So, away I rip...

Amarillo Wheat Ale
-----------
Brewer: swenocha
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.050 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 27 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.012
Alcohol by Volume: 4.8%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.8%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 0.70 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Bavarian Wheat 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
MrB. Whispering Wheat Weizenbier1.21 lb, Extract, Extract

MrB. Whispering Wheat Weizenbier1.00 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes
Amarillo 0.50 oz, Pellet, 1 minutes

US-05 yeast

damn swen that sounds like a tasty brew

Dry hop complete (1oz of Amarillo goodness... BAM!). Hit 1.012 right on the money. May look at bottling this weekend. Quite tasty. Very promising. Ignoring two or three suspicious white dots on the surface. I'm certain that it's just yeast poking out. RDWHAHB...

Swencha,

Let me know how this turns out. I wanted to mix a Hef with an IPA. This sounds pretty close. I recently heard that american wheats are also simliar to what I want,but I do not know of any beers that are considered an american wheat beer (and please don't say its Blue Moon b/c there is barely any hops in that!)

Yup should be good when I made my gumbalhead I only dry hoped 1/2 a oz and gave a nice aroma but 1 oz should be awesome!

Swen I am a huge fan of gumballhead and have also attempted a clone. Mine was two cans of whispering wheat with a butt load of amarillos but the batch was infected. It tasted ok but every bottle spewed foam for a few minutes after you opened the bottle.

crazybrody wrote:

Swen I am a huge fan of gumballhead and have also attempted a clone. Mine was two cans of whispering wheat with a butt load of amarillos but the batch was infected. It tasted ok but every bottle spewed foam for a few minutes after you opened the bottle.

I tried to do a gumballhead clone with mr beer ingredients that ended up awesome.

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.069 OG Estimated FG 1.017 FG
Recipe Bitterness 51 IBU Alcohol by Volume 6.7%
Recipe Color 10° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.3%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
1.00 lb Extra Light DME Extract Extract
0.25 lb Crystal 10L Grain Steeped
1.21 lb MrB. Golden Wheat UME Extract Extract
1.21 lb MrB. West Coast Pale Ale Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
0.50 oz Amarillo Pellet 15 minutes
0.50 oz Amarillo Pellet 40 minutes
1.00 oz MrB. West Coast Pale Ale Pellet 5 minutes

I then dry hoped this with 1/2 oz Amarillo Pellet. Tasted great

To the bottle with ye! Psycho bottling evening, as I know I won't have time the rest of the week or next weekend. It's days like this that I wish a) I was kegging; and B) I was doing bigger batches as a norm. A lot of effort for (relatively) not a lot of beer...

4985662516_d72aac27f3_b.jpg

Left (green tags): Seasonal American Double Brown
Center (green stars): Amarillo Wheat Ale
Right (red stars): Chirp! (Not So) Red Ale

If your screen resolution is like mine, you're wondering what he means by the tags and stars. Click the picture and a larger version loads and it becomes clear.

i have a amarillo wheat beer fermenting right now. it blew the airlock out of it last night!!! i got a kit from www.homebrewery.com. the large bag of dme had hops pellets mixxed into it. i ran it through a strainer to get them out.this kit comes with a bag of wheat you crush and put in a grain sock. i added amarillo hopps pellets at the start of the boil. and put amarillo leaf hopps in the hopps cage i got and put it in 5 minutes before flame out. this kit had what had to be 4-5 pounds of dme that i mixxed into it. it was a huge bag of dme!!! over twice the size of the 2.2 pound bags of dme i'm used to using!!!

i also have 2.5 cases of oktober fest i got from them and one 5 gallon batch fermenting right now for a halloween party we are having next month.

man what a hobby!!!!

Last tester pour.

5035161236_fc7f5d194d_b.jpg

Very slight head and lower carbonation than expected. This one definitely needs more time on that front. No matter... Amarillo's apricot/orange aroma and flavor are quite tasty. It is really tasty (though still pretty green). This tester gives me high hopes for this one. In the boxes for the next 2-4 weeks with this one!

Popped a second taster today (after a disappointingly carbed Chirp Red from the plastics... I hope that another week and a half will do them well, as that's when the tailgate is). This pour looks so much better, and I have to say that this is one of my favorites. Maybe the best I've done yet, if I could be so bold. I was going for Gumballhead, and this will serve as an adequate substitute until I get up to get the real thing...

Huge amarillo aroma, great lacing, very nice wheat/malt balance, nice (but not over the top bitter). I'm in love...

5056057940_60dc97513f_b.jpg

I am so excited to get Alpha King and Gumballhead on tap in two weeks. Who's meeting me at the Fickle Peach? I'm about 85% certain that the trip is happening...

That's the recipe I started with, but then adjusted when I decided to use the WW as the base. Tasty...

Side-by-side taste test time...

Amarillo Wheat tasted with the original, the ever outstanding Three Floyds Gumballhead. Let's see how we did, shall we?

5219408887_3169aa2409_b.jpg

Theirs is much more straw yellow, while mine is more of a light orange. Not sure I could get much paler without going AG, but I really don't care that much. Theirs is a bit hazy but pretty darn clear, while mine is kinda sorta clear. Carbonation is near identical, though mine carried more of a head (as pictured). Aroma is also near identical, with the Amarillo carrying most of it. Taste is pretty close... I knew I under-billed the wheat (I should have used all wheat DME, but I goofed and underbought, and just went with the extra DME I had on hand instead of making a LHBS trip), and that is the difference. Mine is more of a standard pale ale with a hint of wheat, and FFF has much more of a wheat flavor.

Overall am very, very happy with this. I'll correct my recipe to be completely wheat DME based (and likely leave out the WW unless I buy some 3-packs at BB&B in the clearance) next time, but this one is quite good as it stands. The likely change will be to go with 3lbs of wheat DME instead of 1lb wheat and 1lb of WW I used this time. Essentially the standard DME traded for a wheat DME should just about do it...

Dammit swen, I had almost forgotten about gumballhead! Now Im gonna have to go get some. I am not a fan of wheat beers unless they have an outrageous dose of amarillo hops. BTW yours is a much prettier beer.

Closed this one off this evening as well. Well... technically there are two more bottles in existence, but one is in the 4-pack I gave my favorite barkeep for Christmas, and the other is in transit to BigD. But it is officially dead to me (well... it will be over the course of the next half hour or so)...

This may well be right up at my favorites I've done thus far... It's at least in the top three (with the Amarillo Pale and Noble Ale). Some variation of those three recipes will likely be in the winter/spring brew schedule...

Hey Swenocha. I decided to resurect this string. Going to try to brew something similar. Have you tried to do a second batch yet and if so whathave you changed? I'm going to try the following ... What do you think?

Briess DME - Golden Light 1.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess DME - Bavarian Wheat 3.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Citra 0.12 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes

Citra 0.12 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

Citra 0.25 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

Citra 1.00oz, Pellet, 0 minutes

Using Wyeast Califonia Ale
2.4 gallons

Looks good to me. For reference, here's what my redo will look like. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my April schedule...

Gumballhead
American Wheat or Rye Beer

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 2.40 gal
Brewer: Swenocha

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 52.63 %
2.00 lb Malteurop 2-Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 42.11 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.10 oz Amarillo [6.90 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.20 oz Amarillo [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo (Leaf) [8.70 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
0.20 oz Amarillo [6.90 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [6.90 %] (5 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.33 oz Amarillo [6.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale Yeast Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 28.0 IBU
Est Color: 5.6 SRM

I actually have a similar beer in the fermenter. I'm sure it will be good, I love amarillo.

I just scored a can 3.3# can of Muntons wheat extract from the LHBS for $9, and grabbed the last ounce of Citra they had for $2. I think I'm going to steep 8oz of 10L Crystal and continuous hop with the Citra over about 40 minutes at 5 minute intervals as soon as I have an open fermenter.

I'm thinking that will make a pretty taste 2.4 gallon batch for

I'd go with .5oz for T-50/ .25 for T-22/ and .25 for T-7. but that's me. Otherwise, great score.

Interesting ...

Swenocha's brew is 100% Amarillo
Mine is 50% amarillo and 50% Citra
Mashani is 100% Citra

I wish we lived near each other so we can taste the differences of all 3.

@yankeedag, the Citra is 13.5AA, when I calculate your hop schedule I come up with 71IBUs in a 2.4 gallon batch. Seems perhaps too much for a 5% beer. (although I am a hop head and love IPAs so who knows it could be awesome). The wheat beer I like very much is 4.8% and 21IBUs, with loads of flavor and aroma. I'd think at least for the first try I'd like to brew it between 30-40IBUs and keep the schedule weighted more towards flavor.

@HYRLUV - we will all just have to brew more batches with different hops! I'm sure they are all going to be good, I love amarillo and citra.

mashani wrote:

@yankeedag, the Citra is 13.5AA, when I calculate your hop schedule I come up with 71IBUs in a 2.4 gallon batch. Seems perhaps too much for a 5% beer. (although I am a hop head and love IPAs so who knows it could be awesome). The wheat beer I like very much is 4.8% and 21IBUs, with loads of flavor and aroma. I'd think at least for the first try I'd like to brew it between 30-40IBUs and keep the schedule weighted more towards flavor.

@HYRLUV - we will all just have to brew more batches with different hops! I'm sure they are all going to be good, I love amarillo and citra.

I ran it thru my calculator and came up with 39.3 IBU and 1.35 BU/GU

@yankeedag, what calculator are you using out of curiosity? Qbrew and http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe both agree that it's 70+, unless I'm totally nuts... If these are inaccurate, I want better software... [EDIT: They are close to your numbers if I base it on a 5 gallon batch, but I'm making a 2.4 gallon batch.]