Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coulter

Holiday ideas

Hey guys! So I was doing a little research on a pumpkin beer that I'm getting ready to attempt for Thanksgiving and it got me into thinking about other festive holidays and ideas. I've heard of beers that have a hint of chocolate to it but what do you guys think about maybe adding just a hint of peppermint extract to something like that and serve as a Christmas beer? I'm not sure. It may be the worse idea ever but just wanted to get your take on it and see what you think.

Thanks guys!!!

If you can think of it, i'm sure it has been done by someone here. The hint of peppermint might conflict with the hint of beer taste :)

If you want to try it I would recommend buying a style of beer that you want to do it with, open the bottle, pout into the cup, and use an eye dropper to add some sort of peppermint extract to. After each drop stir and taste. When you find the right flavor your looking for add that many drops at bottling time for your beers.

Just an FYI, just because you like it doesn't mean others will. Not a problem in my case since I don't care what others think, especially since i'm brewing it for ME!!! But and FYI nontheless.

Thanks Rabbit, I think your right about conflicting with the taste. I like the idea of the dropper, though. If I ever get a spare moment I may just experiment with it a bit and find out for sure.

I kind of borrowed my idea from this recipe. http://www.mrbeer.com/search.php
I figured if they can use butterscotch schnapps in a recipe, I can use peppermint. I used two cans Sticky Wicket, three ozs. cocoa powder, and one shot peppermint schnapps. It's in the fermenter four days as we speak, so I can't tell you anything about it yet. But it's beer for thought for ya.

Truckndad, will you keep me updated on this? I'm really curious how this turns out. It sounds like a winner! Did you use the brown sugar or opt out of it?

coulter wrote:

Truckndad, will you keep me updated on this? I'm really curious how this turns out. It sounds like a winner! Did you use the brown sugar or opt out of it?

I opted out of the brown sugar and instead added three tablesppons vanilla. I've done the Sticky Wicket with vanilla before and really enjoyed it, so I just expanded on that formula.

All this talk about pumpkin, chocolate and peppermint is making excited for the holidays

Yeah me to. I just brewed my Pumpkin Ale and X-Mas Ale and I cant wait to try them...but the down side is holidays means good bye to the warmth hello cold and 20 feet of snow so Im not rushing it.

beerfanfrombuffalo wrote:

All this talk about pumpkin, chocolate and peppermint is making excited for the holidays

Yeah me to. I just brewed my Pumpkin Ale and X-Mas Ale and I cant wait to try them...but the down side is holidays means good bye to the warmth hello cold and 20 feet of snow so Im not rushing it.

Plus, didn't you do one with a pecan extract? Or was that the XMas Ale? How did it turn out?

Plus, didn't you do one with a pecan extract? Or was that the XMas Ale? How did it turn out?

My pecan stickey bun nut brown smelled awesome! just waiting a few more weeks of conditioning...will let you know how it turns out.

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance if Futile: WE have Beer.

Dark Mint Beer... hum...

thanks for the welcome!

Dark mint beer does sound good for sure!

How would one incorperate the mint flavoring?

smitty81 wrote:

thanks for the welcome!

Dark mint beer does sound good for sure!

How would one incorperate the mint flavoring?

I wonder if you could buy some fresh mint leaves and boil them for 10-15 minutes in the wort, much like you would hops. I've never done this, so if anyone can think of a disadvantage they can chime in.

This does sound interesting. I might have to throw together a small 1 gallon batch and try brewing using mint leaves. We grow them fresh in our garden. I believe we even have some chocolate mint growing. Hmmm...

I think that would take a hell of a lot of mint leaves to over power a dark beer dont you?

You would have to grind them up to break the leaves apart so the juices would escape. Put them in a hopps sack?

I wonder if a guy could take a 12 oz dark beer and mix crushed up mint leaves in it until you get the mint flavor you want.

Take the ammount of leaves per beer and calculate how many it would take to flavor a keg putting them in a hopps sack.

I was thinking more along the lines of mint extract....

Mint extract would work, too. You could add it at bottling to taste.

With the leaves, I don't think it would take as many fresh leaves as you would think, though. I did some quick research and it seems some have used 2 ounces of fresh leaves or 1 ounce of dry leaves. If I try it, I will probably chop the leaves and put them in the hop sack to add to the boil. If I don't get enough aroma, "dry minting" in a secondary fermenter could be an option.

Im gonna give it a try as soon as my first batch is ready.......or I might buy another keg......

Anywho, heres my plan.

Im gonna take a dark beer and add mint extract drop by drop untill I get the mint flavor I want.

That should give me a pretty good standard to go by when it comes time to bottle.

Was also thinking about adding coco because I def want that chocolate flavor as well.

Any idea on how much coco one would add for a MB keg?