Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
swenocha

#28: Chirp! Red Ale

It's football time! My (and David Letterman's) beloved Fighting Football Fighting Cardinals, they of the perfect regular season and BCS run two years ago, and the disastrous fall from grace (and embarrassing 2-10 record) last year (after darn near everyone of importance graduated, got injured, bolted for the NFL, or bolted for bigger conferences in the case of the coaching staff) are ready to take the field on Thursday. Thus, I'm about a week or two behind on my tailgate beer. I'll be making my appearance at the 'Scheu in mid September, so this beer may be a touch young, but I think it'll be OK.

Why Chirp!? Of course because the 3rd down defensive stand chant of the Nest is the intimidating Chirp!

What better to make to drink when celebrating the red and black? Why... a red ale, of course... Note that this is loosely based on a Killian's clone, so it's not a traditional irish red but closer to the thinner Americanized version. A partial mash with the corn and grains, but otherwise pretty standard.

This'll be bottled exclusively into plastic 16oz bottles. Gotta observe the proper tailgate rules... ;)

Chrip! Red Ale
--------------
Brewer: Swenocha
Style: Generic Ale
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 20 IBU
Recipe Color: 17° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6 %
Alcohol by Weight: 4.5 %

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Crystal 120L 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Flaked Corn 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Mashed

Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

s-04 dry yeast 1.00 unit, Other,
Whirfloc 0.50 unit, Fining, 15 min

order up some new caps for those plastic bottles. Then when you screw them on the seal is there and it is no longer an "open container".

hit 1.012, so I think I'm set to bottle. I really need to get this in the bottle this weekend, so that I can get a good four or five weeks in the bottle before the tailgate. Taste was malty goodness. Color was less red than expected... more tan, but that's OK...

Third part of the psycho bottling evening, I got the red ale to bottle (all plastic, except for a taster and one 12 oz glass). It really ain't close to red, though. I'm thinking it's a 7, when I was shooting for a 17 (according to QBrew). Obviously I accounted for something improperly. No matter... tastes great, and is rechristened Chirp! (not so) Red Ale...

4985662516_d72aac27f3_b.jpg

Left (green tags): Seasonal American Double Brown
Center (green stars): Amarillo Wheat Ale
Right (red stars): Chirp! (Not So) Red Ale

While looking though all of the conditioning boxes after the bottle burst scare just to make sure that there were no more surprises, I noticed that the clear tester bottle of the Chirp! is much tanner/redder than I initially thought. I should have learned by now to not judge the color too soon... Re-re-dubbed "Chirp! Sorta Red Ale"...

I found that 2oz of black patent in a 5 gallon batch gives me a beautiful red color.

15 days in the bottle, a couple hours in the fridge, and the wee little tester bottle gets its debut...

5031787643_a0e3c33891_b.jpg

The color came out a bit redder than I anticipated at bottling. Very clear, especially considering the fact that it was in the fridge for a just a few hours. Carb is a pretty spot on for what I wanted. Pretty bubbly, but not over the top. A much different taste than any of my others thus far. Very malty, a bit of noble hop, and a bit of corn on the aroma. Flavor is really malty with great mouthfeel. Taste really lingers. Pretty well rounded considering its age. Excellent lacing as well.

Pretty darn drinkable right now, but I intend to still sit on them until mid-October for the tailgate. Will buy a Killians for a mid-October compare...

Tester of Seasonal Brown tomorrow... Amarillo Wheat on Wednesday...

A new taste of this leaves a grape taste (much like the winter welcome). My very expert homebrew friend at work says it's the munich malt and that time will heal. I guess both go on the shelf until November...

I am saving my chiefs red ale for when I have my friends over to watch the chiefs play in the superbowl.

Really cool, I'm gonna print this out, I want to try this, thanks for sharing ............

swenocha wrote:

Chrip! Red Ale
--------------
Brewer: Swenocha
Style: Generic Ale
Batch: 2.40 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 20 IBU
Recipe Color: 17° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6 %
Alcohol by Weight: 4.5 %

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 120L 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Flaked Corn 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Steeped

Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

I brewed this last night ... used 3.3 lbs xtra light LME, but left out the 1/2 lb of DME, as for me 3.3lbs LME is a full bodied enough beer. I also used .333 lb each of the specialty grains instead of .5lb, and left out the whirfloc. Yours is probably better, but we all have our preferences ... I did pretty much the same timing on the Kent Goldings, so mine will just be not quite as heavy, but the same beer.

Thanks for the idea / recipe ... I've never tried these hops, or the caramuich, or flaked corn before ... can't wait to taste. I jumped on this, because I wanted to make a red ale for my son for Christmas. It was a fairly dark wort, I think it looked red, but won't really know til bottling day.

swenocha wrote:

A new taste of this leaves a grape taste (much like the winter welcome). My very expert homebrew friend at work says it's the munich malt and that time will heal. I guess both go on the shelf until November...

3 weeks later... another re-test...

Grape taste is gone (or maybe it's because I drank it after the Winter Welcome clone, where the grape is more up front), pretty darn tasty again. Again carbed a bit lower than expected... very little head (nothing like the tester pictured above). I'm blaming the plastics for this one... I'll see what it looks like when I pop a bottled one. May be time to rotate another new set of caps in, or retire them all together...

Regardless... A very tasty brew. Very different flavor than any I've done before. Full flavored from the grain mix, and I am always a fan of the KG hop flavor. Pretty happy with this one...

Side by side with a real Killians, the fruitiness is still pretty prominent. Color is a bit lighter, but pretty similar. I still get lighter carbonation than I wanted and little to no head. Theirs is a much stronger malty flavor. Going to sit on the rest of these for another month after these two tasters. This and the winter welcome have been my two most frustrating brews thus far... Hope more time will continue to help... It's still very drinkable (and as described above, I like it pretty well), but much like the other one, it's just not precisely what I was going for.

5132724039_b744783d41_b.jpg

One thing I'm wondering... based on the timing/spacing between this and the Winter Welcome (#23 and #28), I wonder if I used the same fermenter for both of these, and if it is some kind of infection or something. That seems like a reach... I think it's likely Caramunich (based on discussions with other brewers) or maybe something procedural, but I guess it might make sense to document which fermenter I use along with my other notes in the future. Hmm...

no prescription overnight cod delivery

Sweet!!! I always wondered if there was a way to get a cod delivered overnight! And without a prescription?!?

Update on this one: Had another bottle last night. Carbed pretty well now... still no head to speak of, though. Fruitiness is darn near gone... It's still there a bit, but it's definitely not up front any more. May drop these into circulation in the next few weeks... Quite tasty.

I wonder if the flavor you describe is from the S-04. I've heard it described that way before by some, and as even having a bubblegum flavor. I haven't noticed it myself, but then I haven't used it for a while either. As far as I know, the Caramunich is just a medium crystal malt. I've used it a few times and never noticed a fruity undertone from it, but then everyone perceives different tastes in different ways. I think that this is particularly true when it comes to beer. In any event, it sounds like a good beer. :side:

Another month passed, so another test of this beer. This is the first one from a glass bottle. All of the other pours have looked like the glass on the left from the last pour...

5132724039_b744783d41_b.jpg

Here's the pour from the bottle...
5227756890_753c427f49_b.jpg

Hmm...

Still less fruitiness this go around. This one is coming around... Maybe this will be my Christmas brew. I did put a plastic in the fridge as well to test the carb. It'll be interesting to see if it is still undercarbed (this was batch primed, so it has to be the bottles and/or caps)...

Opened the plastic (for science) today. Beautiful carbonation (looked just like the glass bottle above). Either some of the bottles or caps were bad, or I just hadn't given 'em enough time. I guess we'll see how the rest of 'em go later in the month...

Thanks, Swenocha! I brewed a couple batches, of this Chirp! Red Ale. I didn't use the extra .5lbs of DME, and I didn't use the floc stuff. But, It's conditioned more than 2-2-2, and I chilled a few down. Nice.

I renamed mine Pete's Red Ale, after my son, who will be getting a twelve pack of it for Christmas.

I brewed another batch of it AG, which is conditioning.

Thanks again. I don't know why the flaked corn, 120L, caramuich, all come together red, but it does, and the Kent Goldings I wouldn't have tried yet otherwise. Nice. oh, the Borg!

Tab, how was the flavor? Malty goodness with a bit of KG earthy hop? That's what I was going for, but am just finally getting several months later after fruity taste early. Sounds like you may have had better success.

I drank a few of mine ... they are very good. I'm giving my older son a twelve pack of this batch for one of his Christmas gifts.

I'm finally happy with this brew. It's become my go-to beer for watching the Cards basketball games in the last few games, though it was supposed to be a tailgate brew during football season... (I think) Only a bottle left now... Bummer...

swenocha wrote:

I'm finally happy with this brew. It's become my go-to beer for watching the Cards basketball games in the last few games, though it was supposed to be a tailgate brew during football season... (I think) Only a bottle left now... Bummer...

I just drank a few of my third batch of this, thanks a million for the recipe. Mine has slight variation, nothing worth mentioning.
This one is an AG batch. I mashed 2 row instead of using extracts for the base malt. The flaked corn and 120L went right in the mash. It is excellent. A real treat.

swenocha wrote:

In your Chirp! recipe what do you mean by fining?

Whirfloc (or Irish Moss) is added late in the boil to coagulate proteins and thus clear the beer.

swenocha wrote:

Whirfloc (or Irish Moss) is added late in the boil to coagulate proteins and thus clear the beer.

So, thats what Irish Moss is for...Thanx. Alot of Columbus North football players are playing for Ball State next year.

I still brew this on occasion, usually very close, sometimes just slightly different, but always very close.

Thanks, Swenocha ... this one has proven to be a keeper.

I call mine "Pete's Red Ale" named after my son, who likes red ale, but know that it's really "Chirp!"

I find it just much tastier, and dryer (good) than say a killians or other reds. It really has a nice taste, which must be the combo of kent goldings, flaked corn, etc. Nice.

I have been meaning to resurrect some of these recipes as partial or full mashes... Thanks for reminding me of this one, Tab. This is one that never quite met its potential for me. I'm sure it was a process thing, but I've been wanting to do this one (and the Winter Welcome) right...

swenocha wrote:

I have been meaning to resurrect some of these recipes as partial or full mashes... Thanks for reminding me of this one, Tab. This is one that never quite met its potential for me. I'm sure it was a process thing, but I've been wanting to do this one (and the Winter Welcome) right...

Maybe it's just not one of your favorites ... I just really liked the flavor, maybe it was adding the flaked corn.

bump-20111217.jpg

Swen,

I've reviewed this thread a few times now. I originally thought I might try a tweeked version of the Chirp! Red Ale, omitting the flaked corn and possibly going with S-33, rather than S-04. But based on all the input and feedback here, I think I want to try the original recipe first. I'll go all-grain, but will include all the original specialty grains, the flaked corn, the S-04, etc,.

I'll be sure to post my results. Thanks again Swen.