Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pocketjr

Canadian Newbie

packerduf wrote:

pocketjr wrote:

Anybody have any suggestion for a guy that prefers Stout's? Or Boston Lager for that matter?

If you like dark beers, and you like hops, you would love the Fall and Winter Seasonals offered by Mr beer. Did you try them?

Not yet. That's an upcoming plan.

pocketjr wrote:

Anybody remember where the Mr Beer add on for the Qbrew program is posted?

Here
:party:

swenocha wrote:

pocketjr wrote:

Here

Thanks Swen. Now is there instructions for installing screwy's data on the mac? :blush:

pocketjr wrote:

swenocha wrote:

pocketjr wrote:

Here

Thanks Swen. Now is there instructions for installing screwy's data on the mac? :blush:

Ive been trying to get it on my mac for a while...still no luck. Thankfully I have a dell laptop I use for work but can't use the new database on my home macs.

I listened to the first 4 podcasts of the new Mr Beer show on the way to work today (I loathe public transit, but at least I get to listen to podcasts), and I realized..... I haven't brewed since October! I think. We threw out the old calendar that I had written the brewing and bottling dates on, so I'm not exactly sure of the exact date, but I am pretty darn sure it was late October.

I'd like to say I have a good excuse but I really don't :(
Other than I think I'm getting in my own way by worrying about what I don't know and wanting to wait until I bought and read a couple of brewing books, and wanting to get more and better equipment, and wanting to finish the basement, etc etc etc

I keep forgetting that I brewed the first two batches in my kitchen. With basic equipment. And they turned out fine! Not great, but well enough that I served them to others.

I think it's time to actually get to my LHBS this weekend and pick up some hops and a hydrometer, and maybe a bottle washer, and get to brewing again. I miss it so much!

side note.... it'll have to be after I attend the motorcycle show downtown. I really want a bike this summer

LHBS was a no go.

Screw it, I'm waiting on the sanitizer for the keg now. Making a WCPA with just the booster and extract.

Good to have a starting point for taste anyways ;)

Guest System Admin

pocketjr wrote:

side note.... it'll have to be after I attend the motorcycle show downtown. I really want a bike this summer

I can relate. I went a couple years without one and everyone around me thought I was going crazy. Nuttin like the open road for stress relief!

swenocha wrote:

pocketjr wrote:

Here

Ok so... anybody remember how I manually put the Mr Beer ingredients into my Qbrew? Since the add on won't 'add-on' on my Mac

You can edit the database... I'm not using QBrew anymore (it served its time well for me, but I'm a BeerSmith man now), I seem to remember it being under Tools>Database Edit or something like that...

swenocha wrote:

You can edit the database... I'm not using QBrew anymore (it served its time well for me, but I'm a BeerSmith man now), I seem to remember it being under Tools>Database Edit or something like that...

Good memory. :woohoo:

The WCPA will be in the fermenter 3 weeks next Sunday, so I gotta think about bottle washing.
Anybody have any tips? Should I spend the money on the bottle washer adapter for my sink? Or just throw them in the dishwasher (their PET's) and then rinse them before sanitizing?

pocketjr wrote:

The WCPA will be in the fermenter 3 weeks next Sunday, so I gotta think about bottle washing.
Anybody have any tips? Should I spend the money on the bottle washer adapter for my sink? Or just throw them in the dishwasher (their PET's) and then rinse them before sanitizing?

I don't think PETs will stand up to the heat in a dishwasher.

I don't have the bottle washer. I usually rinse them with water. If they're really dirty, I'll fill them with water and dump in a small amount of Oxiclean (or Sun). Just be careful if you close them up because the Oxiclean can create bottle bombs in a hurry.

The best policy I have found that works for me is to clean them as you go. It only takes a few moments to do one, instead of a chore to do more.

yankeedag wrote:

The best policy I have found that works for me is to clean them as you go. It only takes a few moments to do one, instead of a chore to do more.

Clean with?

pocketjr wrote:

Try uploading to a hosting site like imageshack.us or photobucket.com and using the image link: picture_link.png to embed it.

Forgive me BORG for I have sinned.....

I...

um...

well...

I poured beer out of my fermenter down the drain :( :S :(

Why? Well um.... I brewed it in January, and the weekend I was supposed to bottle I got sick... as in I lost 18 pounds over the weekend sick...
The next two weekends after that my wife had plan for us.... then I forgot it was there, until I was cleaning the storage room up and found the fermenter sitting all alone, waiting to be used.... being March I didn't think it would be a good idea to try bottling.

yankeedag wrote:

did you taste it?

Oh, oh. I hope you tasted it before dumping, or it's going to be 50 lashes with a wet muslin sack! :P

yankeedag wrote:

did you taste it?

Um.... :blush: was I supposed to?

everything I've read says that if it sits on the turbo too long it's no good

oh please tell me I didn't just waste 2 gallons of beer!!!! :S

Definately shoulda at least tasted it. Even if it was terrible, you get the "research" of what bad beer tastes like. I taste at every step of the way for my own curiousity. I've eaten dry malt on each steep I've done and even DME before adding it to water!! :)

Kinda like a cook tastes his food while making it. Taste and register it in the noggin. ;)

WretchedRon wrote:

Definately shoulda at least tasted it. Even if it was terrible, you get the "research" of what bad beer tastes like. I taste at every step of the way for my own curiousity. I've eaten dry malt on each steep I've done and even DME before adding it to water!! :)

Kinda like a cook tastes his food while making it. Taste and register it in the noggin. ;)

Wow, I never thought of doing that. Good idea, thanks WR! :chug:

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!

I was at Bass Pro Shop in Vaughan today and while I was perusing all the awesome stuff I came across.... are you ready?.... Mr Beer Kits and refills!!!!! I can't believe it! This is SO AWESOME! 39.99 for the American series refill pack... not bad for 3 new batches of beer me thinks.

For the first time since Christmas I have no plans for this weekend, and I'm not sick or taking care of a sick wife.

Time to brew that last batch of MrB that's been calling my name for months!

I MADE BEER!!!!!

Yeah I know I said it on the no-post thread, but I'm really excited about it.

I made the Whispering Wheat and added 1 pound of Briess Amber DME to the mix.

This time though I heated the water a little before adding the DME and then brought it to a bit of a boil. I don't have a candy/liquid thermometer so I kind of had to use a combination of enough heat to make it 'rolling boil', but not enough that bubbles broke the surface, then I turned the heat to high and copied a suggestion found on another post here on the MrB community and took it off the heat to keep from foaming over and then return it to the heat to make it boil again, repeating the steps until there was no foam left.

I'm going to try to add pics from my iPhone so you guys can have a look at what my rolling boil looked like and let me know if it was correct. I hope they'll upload.

yankeedag wrote:

I see it's left you speechless :dry:

Something about my pics only aloud to be 500*1200.

If I make it that small you can't see anything. Original pic is... 1536*2048

pocketjr wrote:

yankeedag wrote:

I see it's left you speechless :dry:

Something about my pics only aloud to be 500*1200.

If I make it that small you can't see anything. Original pic is... 1536*2048

I use photobucket... auto size and all. I take picture, load it up on photobucket, click it from there to here, no problem.

BOOM! It worked!!!

Ok first pic is at beginning of boiling without breaking the surface, all pics after that are taken when I boiled to the point of the bubbles breaking the surface and then took it off the heat

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

• Like 1

Washed, sanitized and filled 17 500ml bottles with my Weizenbier... now for the wait....

Gotta buy some hops and a muslin sack at the end of the month. This will be my first brew with additions. So... do I just tie the hops in a bag and then tie that to the handle of the pot so it hovers in the water? Is there a time frame to do it? Maximum amount of time it's in there? My LHBS sells Hop pellets and Hops in some other form (full leaf I think), which do I buy?
Also.. I use our black pot. Does that matter? Should I buy a stainless steel one?

You can buy mr.beer kits and refils in Brampton at Canadian homebrew supplies..for $18.99

and mr.beer will deliver but shipping is $25

I live an hour north of London, Ontario and I can GUARENTEE YOU Mr. Beer DOES ship to Canada...at least ontario where I live.

I have ordered from Mr. Beer 3 or 4 times since January, the shipping is fast and reliable.

The only downside is that it is $20 some bucks Canadian to ship to canada. It is a one time fee so I usually make the order worth it by getting several refills ect.

A great Brew Shop that ships all over that I have used and has the cheapest prices I can find it Canada is:

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Default.asp 

But they dont sell Mr. Beer refills but their LME, DME, Hops yeast ect are all great.

Hope this helps

Ever since Coopers took over Mr Beer, it's a LOT easier to get Mr Beer products up here. Heck, even my LHBS stocks Mr Beer refills now. homebrewsupplies.ca

Good to hear from you again pocket!  Not too many of the old vets around here anymore.

Just crank up some RUSH and have a homebrew!

Hello all,

I bought my Mr Beer Deluxe kit yesterday afternoon, along with a refill kit. I brewed my first batch last night, the Octoberfest Vienna Lager.

I really hope this turns our well as I feel like a kid at Christmas with this kit, and the idea of what the future may hold for me and my Mr Beer kit.

The downside.... before purchasing my kit I emailed Mr Beer and found out they don't ship to Canada, nor do they have a distributor. Plus the kit I bought was in the clearance section and the counter girl said they're not restocking the supplies.

So I may have to get my passport so I can visit the U.S. retailers in Buffalo and stock up on my Mr Beer supplies.

I look forward to a future of questions and answers with all of you.

Cheers,

Paul (pocketjr)

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Hello paul you can buy refills at Bass Pro in Vaughn.