Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
packerduf

Easy Clean

Anyone out there ever use this product? It's called Easy Clean. I picked some up at our (not so) LHBS with the understanding that it is a cleaner/sanitizer, much like One-Step. Once home, I did some research on the internet. Some say it's only a cleaner, some say both. Your input is much appreciated.

Easy_Clean_resized.JPG

yankeedag wrote:

I wonder if this is the "powder" Eric speak-ith of-ith...

Funny you should say that. My son and I joked about the very same thing at the LHBS. Hmmm. Maybe not so funny after all. :)

It may be much like One Step, even if it doesn't actually say sanitizer on the packet. One Step doesn't say Sanitizer, either. The reason is that it costs a lot to get something labeled as a sanitizer. They can only label it as a cleanser, but since everybody knows that it creates hydrogen peroxide in a strength that will sanitize, it's used as a sanitizer.

Guest System Admin

I use star san exclusively. Works, and never a problem.

bpgreen wrote:

It may be much like One Step, even if it doesn't actually say sanitizer on the packet. One Step doesn't say Sanitizer, either. The reason is that it costs a lot to get something labeled as a sanitizer. They can only label it as a cleanser, but since everybody knows that it creates hydrogen peroxide in a strength that will sanitize, it's used as a sanitizer.

The label in the pic says "Sanitizes on contact". Any chance of getting an MSDS?

I've seen this in LHBS in my area used interchangably with one step, depending on which clerk was helping the customer.

To call it a Sanitizer it must have an EPA registration. I don't need an MSDS I can tell you this is sodium percarbonate. Someone got smart and bought a bag for $1 a pound rather than $1 per pouch (or whatever it is) of One Step and they are making some money at it.

id hate to get pulled over by cops with that in the car even with a label on it

I did find THIS

Oxygen based cleanser/sanitizer so no rinsing is required. Great at removing stains from carboys and equipment. The ONLY cleaner/sanitizer you need for bottles, corks, caps and all your other equipment. 1 tablespoon per gallon of WARM water makes the solution. Then just wash and drain. Choose from an 8 oz jar or 5 lb pail.

Why Easy Clean (One Step)?

* Oxygen: High oxygen level provided through a dry form of hydrogen peroxide minimizes contact time necessary for Easy Clean (One Step) to cleanse.
* No Rinsing: Minimizes the risk of recontamination by maintaining contact with the clean surface.
* Aeration: Since there is no rinsing, the supplied oxygen gives the yeast an initial boost.
* Non-Staining: Unlike other no-rinse cleansers, Easy Clean (One Step) won't stain skin, clothing or surfaces.
* Cleansing: Provides good detergency for light duty cleaning.
* Non-Toxic: Not harmful to the user in any way.
* Environmentally Sound: Contains no ecologically harmful substances and quickly biodegrade's into naturally occurring substances.
* Usage Requirements: One Tablespoon per gallon of warm water and soak or rinse equipment with solution.
* Contains no harmful ingredients so Easy Clean (One Step) is an ideal no-rinse cleanser.
* For best results, Easy Clean (One Step) requires a 30 second contact time.

I have used Star San for last two years with no problems. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

TonyK wrote:

I have used Star San for last two years with no problems. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

What about other threads that say it can stain counter tops, is that true? I've never had to use anything other than One-Step, it's always done the job for me.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

TonyK wrote:

What about other threads that say it can stain counter tops, is that true? I've never had to use anything other than One-Step, it's always done the job for me.

I may be wrong, but I think you only need to worry about staining when it's full strength. Once it's diluted, it's not a problem. The reason it can stain is that it's acidic (that's how it sanitizes). When it's undiluted, it's highly acidic, so it stains.

matt_c wrote:

To call it a Sanitizer it must have an EPA registration. I don't need an MSDS I can tell you this is sodium percarbonate. Someone got smart and bought a bag for $1 a pound rather than $1 per pouch (or whatever it is) of One Step and they are making some money at it.

I thought it was that it had to be regulated to say it "sterilizes".

Whatever, StarSan, One-Step, Iodophor, bleach all do a good job as I'm sure this product does too.
Each has benefits, disadvantages, side-effects. Everyone has there preferences. I like Star-San for it's effectiveness, ease of use and extended storage capabilities.

Zobl wrote:

matt_c wrote:

I thought it was that it had to be regulated to say it "sterilizes".

Whatever, StarSan, One-Step, Iodophor, bleach all do a good job as I'm sure this product does too.
Each has benefits, disadvantages, side-effects. Everyone has there preferences. I like Star-San for it's effectiveness, ease of use and extended storage capabilities.

:lol: The same exact reasons I like One-Step!

I still use One-Step accasionally too.
I usually use it on my MB keg.
I like Star-San though the best because I can fill a squirt bottle with it and keep it handy for many weeks without it losing it's effectiveness.

I rotate my "cleaner or sanitizer" around so that I don't wind up with a resistance strain. What One won't get, the other will.

yankeedag wrote:

I rotate my "cleaner or sanitizer" around so that I don't wind up with a resistance strain. What One won't get, the other will.

That is an excellent and proven approach. :drinking:

yankeedag wrote:

I think I just had an 'ah ha' moment....