Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BugLaden

Lost my first batch from stupidity

It is with heavy heart that I report my first loss of a batch.

I brewed up my Big Bean Bock, and finally added my Liquid Bock yeast to the wort yesterday.

I placed the keg into my dry swamp with some frozen bottles of ice. This morning the temperature inside was a cool 55 degress as I changed out the bottles.

Well...apparently I shoved the keg too far forward in the dry swamp when I inserted the fresh bottles, causing the newly installed locking spigot to slightly come open.

When I just checked the beer, this is what I found.

So next time, turn the handle of that spigot inwards! IMG_20100912_105952.jpg

Just pour it back into the fermenter, you have already pitched the yeast. Consider it a semi-secondary-racking to the original primary.

Don't feel too bad. I did something similar recently with my first AG batch. Luckily I only wasted about 1.5 gallons on a 5 gallon batch.

I hear taps playing.

Sorry for the loss, bugladen. It's amazing the little things that can happen to wreak havoc. You just have to pick up your keg, brush yourself off, and brew on!

It's Ok to cry over spilled beer ...

But aleast you didn't cause a beer massacre .. Image how this guy felt?

beer_disaster.jpg

BugLaden wrote:

It is with heavy heart that I report my first loss of a batch.

I brewed up my Big Bean Bock, and finally added my Liquid Bock yeast to the wort yesterday.

I placed the keg into my dry swamp with some frozen bottles of ice. This morning the temperature inside was a cool 55 degress as I changed out the bottles.

Well...apparently I shoved the keg too far forward in the dry swamp when I inserted the fresh bottles, causing the newly installed locking spigot to slightly come open.

When I just checked the beer, this is what I found.

So next time, turn the handle of that spigot inwards! IMG_20100912_105952.jpg

+1 for sharing your loss with us.....I wouldn't have thought to turn the handle outwards, but now I'll never do that.

Hey BugLaden
I had a similar mishap once too. Frige door hit my spigot. Lost about 1/3 keg into fridge and onto floor. Horrible mess.
I feel your pain.
Chin up!

I lost a bit of my red ale last night due to knocking the spigot on my bottling bucket. I think I noticed quick enough that I didn't lose much (maybe as low as 4oz based upon the amount that ended up in bottle), but still frustrating nonetheless. At least the spigot was over the sink when it happened... made for no cleanup...

Sorry for your lose, don't get discouraged. Chalk it up to a learning experience and brew, brew, brew again.

don't worry, be happy.

:lol::lol:

truckndad wrote:

:(:(

And now a moment of silence.

Hear, hear.
In your honor, tonight I drink a schwarzbier.

Thanks for sharing - hopefully it prevents somebody else from doing hte same thing. Sometimes we all have to learn the hard way, but you may have saved somebody else.

I too just had a beer tragedy. Seems I over carbed on of my 1L flippies and the bottom blew out. As you can see it was one of my Fall seasonals the brown mess in the bottom is the beer. The good thing is that I learned my lesson the first time this happened to me so I keep all the glass bottles I use in a sealable plastic bin. This minimized the fallout of the "explosion".

:( May you rest in pieces, puddles and drops ... you were too young to spill; I feel I didn't even get to know you ... or taste you! :gulp:

HYRLUV wrote:

I too just had a beer tragedy. Seems I over carbed on of my 1L flippies and the bottom blew out. As you can see it was one of my Fall seasonals the brown mess in the bottom is the beer. The good thing is that I learned my lesson the first time this happened to me so I keep all the glass bottles I use in a sealable plastic bin. This minimized the fallout of the "explosion".

:( May you rest in pieces, puddles and drops ... you were too young to spill; I feel I didn't even get to know you ... or taste you! :gulp:

Beer_Tragedy.jpg

HYRLUV wrote:

HYRLUV wrote:

Beer_Tragedy.jpg

That's "one for the homies".

HYRLUV,
How dare you have the indecency to show that kind of gore and graphic violence on my PC screen! I was not prepared for such utter horror!
MY EYES! MY EYES!!

Seriously, dude that sucks doesn't it? Makes you feel cheated and empty.
Sorry for your loss.

Well at least you had it contained.
Did you batch prime that?

Zobl wrote:

No. I bottled primed using the Mr Beer measuring tool. I try to be exact when measuring and when filling the bottlke with beer. I guess I messed up :S

HYRLUV wrote:

Zobl wrote:

No. I bottled primed using the Mr Beer measuring tool. I try to be exact when measuring and when filling the bottlke with beer. I guess I messed up :S

Maybe, or the bottle could have had a weak spot in it that just gave way at this time. I have lost one from a batch and wondered why. I have also wildly overcarbed an entire batch and all the flippies self-vented. I could here them singing the flippie song: peep...Peep...peep. Later I found them all lined up in the case with the rubber washer stuck out on one side. They looked like pouting supermodels.

Sham Addams wrote:

HYRLUV wrote:

Zobl wrote:

Maybe, or the bottle could have had a weak spot in it that just gave way at this time. I have lost one from a batch and wondered why. I have also wildly overcarbed an entire batch and all the flippies self-vented. I could here them singing the flippie song: peep...Peep...peep. Later I found them all lined up in the case with the rubber washer stuck out on one side. They looked like pouting supermodels.

:lol: LOL
Nice visual!

I agree, sounds like a bottle with a flaw or crack.

That would be the work of a leprechaun. I've seen this before. Pull up a chair, grab a few cold ones and a fly swatter. It's your only defence.

yankeedag wrote:

That would be the work of a leprechaun. I've seen this before. Pull up a chair, grab a few cold ones and a fly swatter. It's your only defence.

Seems like the leprechaun struck again. I finally had time now to clean up the mess ( a pesky thing called work got in the way. My wife forces me to do this pesky thing for beer money). It was not one bottle but 2 tha blew up. They were next to each outher. This is how I will like to remember them ... side by side ...