Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brew City

Brew City Berry Weiss

The Boss loves Leinie's Berry Weiss, so I promised I would make an attempt. I was going to add Cluster Hops, but omitted them at the last minute as I wanted to see how this worked with the WWW. The commercial example is only at 13 IBUs, so I wanted to see how she liked this before adding hops to it. If this is good, I may try it using a Wheat UME or DME and adding the Cluster hops accordingly.

Recipe Blackberry Weiss
Style Fruit Beer
Brewer Batch 2.13 gal
Extract
Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.052 OG
Estimated FG 1.013 FG
Recipe Bitterness 18 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 5.0%
Recipe Color 5° SRM
Alcohol by Weight 4.0%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
0.94 lb Blackberries (canned) Extract Extract
0.94 lb Boysenberries (Canned) Extract Extract
1.25 lb Briess DME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract
1.21 lb MrB. Whispering Wheat Weizenbier Extract Extract

Quantity Hop Type Time
1.00 oz MrB. Whispering Wheat Weizenbier Pellet 5 minutes

Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Danstar Munich Wheat Yeast Other

Recipe Notes
- Boiled DME past hot break, removed from heat.
- Added WWW HME
- Added to keg and brought to 2.13 volume.
- Added pureed boysenberries
- Aerate, pitch, aerate.
- Plan to ferment this at 60.
- I plan to add the Blackberries after the initial Kreusen falls back in between days 5-7.
- OG reading was right on at 1.049 (adjusted for only 1 can of fruit)

I was a little careless on this one and hope it doesn't come back to bite me. The cold water didn't bring the wort temp down far enough. I was only able to get it to 89 degrees. The Danstar Munich says to rehydrate at 86-96, so I just pitched the yeast straight to the wort and then stuck the keg in the fridge for a few hours. It got the temps down a few degrees (I think it was just over 80) so I stuck the keg in my cooler with a few ice bottles when I went to bed.

This morning, the temp was at 70 degrees but with no Kreusen. I swapped out the ice bottles and I hope to see some action this evening. If there's nothing by tomorrow, I have another packet of Munich yeast that I will pitch.

I'm tempted to run home just to look at my keg. That would classify as a whole new level of obsessed.

I'd need a miracle to explain to the kids that I'm not home to play, just to look at my beer. HA HA!

Guest System Admin

Let us know how this turns out. I enjoy the Berry Weiss as well, and a simple decent clone would be nice.

I just went off of the Leinie's web site. They said it is a mixture of wheat and pale malts, cluster hops, and a mix of blackberries, elderberries, and loganberries. They also tell that it's IBUs are at 13.5.

I don't mind the BerryWeiss, but it's a little too sweet for my taste. I'll drink it once in awhile, but definitely can't have more than one. I love that my wife enjoys it, so I will gladly experiment away for her. It's one that I might just have to keep tweaking until I get it right. I have yet to have good luck with fruit beers, so I may give up on brewing the fruit in there and trying to find a good blackberry extract to add at bottling.

I'll definitely keep you posted how this turns out.

Okay, still no kreusen this morning. There is some fermentation going on because there is a ring of tiny CO2 bubbles along the side of the keg. I've had it at 58-59, so I am going to slowly let it warm up and see if that gets things started a bit during the day today.

I am having patience. I read a couple of reviews on the yeast on Homebrewtalk and they had similar things happen - it took 36-48 hours for it to get under way and then it went crazy.

Checked again last night and still nothing. I took a hydrometer reading and it was still at the OG reading. I re-hydrated another packet of Munich yeast, and added a small amount of wort every 5 minutes when the yeast was hydrated. I let it sit for 15-20 minutes with the wort in it and then pitched it to the keg.

This morning, there was plenty of action. I think this one is going to cruise now.

The kreusen completely fills the head space in the keg and has been like that since yesterday. A little bit seeped out during the day, but not much. I loosened the cap a little and relieved the pressure.

I've been keeping it at 60 degrees in the cooler. I'll probably add the second can of fruit on Monday or Tuesday next week.

I racked this to the secondary slimline on Saturday and will throw it into the fridge to cold crash it tonight. There are quite a few berry seeds floating around, so hopefully those will settle out.

Took a sample and, I must say I have FINALLY made a fruit beer that looks to be a winner. I gave the sample to my wife and her eyes lit up. She loved it. I threatened to hide it so she didn't sneak tastes! I even liked it, which I don't usually like fruity beers.

BadHorsie wrote:

Keep us posted. I am considering this one for the pipeline soon.

Sounds good. I'll probably pop open a tester about 2 weeks after bottling. I'll post results and a pic.