Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BugLaden

StarSan in bottles when priming create off-flavor?

With my first two batches I didn't let the Star San completely dry before priming and filling.

Is the StarSan going to give a lot of off-flavor? (at least to my untrained palate) Originally I thought no, but the more I think about it, the more I'm guessing I made another newbie mistake.

BugLaden wrote:

With my first two batches I didn't let the Star San completely dry before priming and filling.

Is the StarSan going to give a lot of off-flavor? (at least to my untrained palate) Originally I thought no, but the more I think about it, the more I'm guessing I made another newbie mistake.

As long as you let it drip out as best you could...I mean you don't have a puddle of it in there.
I drain mine on a bottle tree and they are still "wet" when i fill'em.
Sometimes the beer going in pushes out a little foam even.
"Don't fear the foam!" (the mantra of Star-San)

You'll be fine.

I don't even drain as much as Zobl does. I pour out all the bottles, leave them upright with cap on and then come back and bottle them all. I always have a bunch of foam in them all. Never had taste issues.

Like he says "don't fear the foam" ... although, I must say the first few times, it did scare me a bit.

Never had a problem with taste after using star san. Thanks for your attention. TonyK

From what I have read StarSan make a great yeast nutrient also so not rinsing is a good thing. It is phosphates and stuff which yeast like so brew on.

No-rinse means no-rinse. As has been stated, if you don't have puddles of it in the bottom of the bottle, you'll be fine.

Guest System Admin

+1 on dont fear the foam.

Star san is the man.

G

I still like one-step as my favorite method for sanitizing the fermentor, and caps, and utensils.

But, starsan in a spray bottle is the easiest, best way to sanitize bottles, IMO.

I have a couple of boxes from cases of bottles, with the dividers in them. I put fresh paper towel under the divider, and after sanitizing the bottles, just put them in upside down, but I dip the mouth of the bottles first, so if there are any goobs in the paper towel, the meet up against starsan.

Tabasco wrote:

I still like one-step as my favorite method for sanitizing the fermentor, and caps, and utensils.

But, starsan in a spray bottle is the easiest, best way to sanitize bottles, IMO.

I have a couple of boxes from cases of bottles, with the dividers in them. I put fresh paper towel under the divider, and after sanitizing the bottles, just put them in upside down, but I dip the mouth of the bottles first, so if there are any goobs in the paper towel, the meet up against starsan.

Tabasco
Do you sanitize your bottles before storing them and then again before bottling?
Z