Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
coulter

When to chill...

Hey guys, I was curious about something and wanted to hear your opinions. I use the 2+2+2 method, but after that 6th week do I have to transfer the bottles immediately to the fridge or can I just store the bottles in a room as long as the temp stays at 68-70 degrees? If so, how long will it last until I have to refridgerate it? Thanks for all your help!! Cheers

You can store them at room temperature with no problem. Once you're done carbing them, any time between that and when you drink them will allow the beer additional time to condition. This basically gives the flavors time to blend and, in some cases, mellow.

Putting them in the fridge will do two things. First, obviously, it chills them before you drink them. But the cold temperature also puts the remaining yeast to sleep. It helps to halt the carbonation phase of the beer, so you are less likely to end up with bottle bombs. As the yeast goes to sleep, it will settle on the bottom of the bottle. This will help your beer to develop its clarity.

Hope that helps.

Basically, after the two weeks carbonating its up to you if want to keep them at room temp or put them in the fridge to condition. I keep everything at room temp until Im ready to drink so my brew spends at least 4 weeks in the bottle at room temp. Even after that I only take 6-10 bottles of each and put them in the fridge for at least 24 hrs before I drink them and the rest stay at room temp until there is more room in the fridge.

Another advantage of room temp conditioning is that your less likely to sneak testers.

Thanks guys!! That helps a lot! My "dedicated shelf" in the fridge is full and that was the answer I was looking for! I wouldn't have this problem if I would drink up, right. :stout:

Thanks for the link Screwy. I'll give that a shot on my next batch.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

I've conditioned my beers for 6 months at 55-70F and the beer actually tastes better now than it did 4 months ago and it's much clearer as well. When I ferment at 55-65F I allow the beer time to warm up to 70F before priming them for bottling, haven't had a bottle bomb ever.

Click for details...Screwy's Bottle Priming Calculator

Interesting. That's something I've been doing without planning. I always move the keg upstairs a day or two before I bottle and it is about 70F.