Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy

Any suggestions for brew day?

So I'm looking to the collective for some recipe suggestions...got 3 batches to do coming up

1. cowboy/golden wheat ume
2. st. patricks/creamy brown ume
3. american devil double ipa

I found my lhbs (?) and want to try mixing dme's and trying different yeasts. I havent veered out of the mr. beer recipes yet, but want to try something new this time. I have no experience with dme's so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gypsy wrote:

So I'm looking to the collective for some recipe suggestions...got 3 batches to do coming up

1. cowboy/golden wheat ume
2. st. patricks/creamy brown ume
3. american devil double ipa

I found my lhbs (?) and want to try mixing dme's and trying different yeasts. I havent veered out of the mr. beer recipes yet, but want to try something new this time. I have no experience with dme's so any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

For yeasts, I think my favorites are Nottingham, S-04 and US-05. Nottingham ferments really cleanly, especially at the lower range and it attenuates really well. S-04 and US-05 both ferment cleanly and create a really compact trub.

Since you're already doing all malt, you're starting from a good place. I like beers that are lighter in color, so I tend to use Pilsen or extra light DME.

For #3, I've added a lb of light DME and boiled extra hops. On one of mine, I boiled .5 oz centennial for 45 mins and dry hopped .5 oz of Simcoe. Turned out great.

Thanks for the ideas, I'm heading to the lhbs later to pick up the supplies. I do have one question regarding the dme...is it the same process as ume? About 4 cups of water to mix the dme in?

Gypsy wrote:

Thanks for the ideas, I'm heading to the lhbs later to pick up the supplies. I do have one question regarding the dme...is it the same process as ume? About 4 cups of water to mix the dme in?

When I used it, I used 4 cups of water, but DME is a little more involved than UME. You want to add it to cold water (or you'll get sticky DME-cicles hanging from the bag). Then stir it to dissolve what you can (don't worry if it clumps, it'll melt as it warms). Then slowly heat it AND DON'T TURN YOUR BACK! If you look away, it will boil over and make a huge mess.

You need to take it past hot break. You can do this by bringing it almost to a boil and hold it there for 10 minutes, or you can do what I always did. Bring it to a boil and when it foams, remove it from the heat immediately. Then put it back on until it starts to foam again. Keep doing that until it settles down to a normal boil.

Awesome....thanks for the help. Just picked up everything and can't wait to get it started.

Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance if Futile: We have beer. ;)

That depends on your Hop schedule. Once you get your "break" done, it's ready.

I think I am in a minority around here, but I'm not a huge hop head. I toned down the hops of the ADIPA with 0.75-1# of light DME. It was probably my favorite brew thus far. Very nice and tasty.

drbeer wrote:

I think I am in a minority around here, but I'm not a huge hop head. I toned down the hops of the ADIPA with 0.75-1# of light DME. It was probably my favorite brew thus far. Very nice and tasty.

Yeah, but that's cool. I seem to like the ADIPA hopped up a bit more than it comes. To each his own....that's great!

I just bought some more smithwicks..you know, for a side by side comparrison...well, I let the wife taste it, and she sat there for a moment, said "hum. I like the one you make better". not bad for her first tasting the SW first, then waiting while I cloned it, then tasting it again.

drbeer wrote:

You're not alone. I like my beers balanced to slightly malty.

bpgreen wrote:

drbeer wrote:

You're not alone. I like my beers balanced to slightly malty.

+1