Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jloftin60

Pony Bottles

Your local frat house?

It may be regional, because I've never seen pony bottles where I live (southeastern New York State). You might be able to find smaller soda or water bottles, but they may be clear, they may still retain the flavor of the soda (especially root beer, it would seem), and you'd have to have screw-on caps for them. Mr. Beer sells screw-on caps, but it's a consideration, is all I'm saying.

If you really have to have them you could use Coronita bottles if you have access to them, but the glass is clear so you'd have to deal with easy skunkification...

Another option to consider is ginger ale bottles. I've seen 10 oz glass ginger ale bottles. They're green, so you need to keep them out of the light, and they're also 10 oz, so they may be bigger than what you want.

You could purchase them at the liquor store. Just walk up and down the isles and pick out the small bottles. Oh, and they come with free beer in them.

packerduf wrote:

You could purchase them at the liquor store. Just walk up and down the isles and pick out the small bottles. Oh, and they come with free beer in them.

That's a regional thing, too, packerduf. Here in New York State, liquor stores don't carry beer, just hard liquor and mixers such as tonic water. Of course, you can buy beer just about everywhere else, so it's not much of an issue, but you won't find 7-Eleven bothering to stock the stuff that comes in small bottles. And forget about the independent convenience stores. You're lucky to find anything other than BMC in those places.

I know Heiniken and Rolling Rock make pop top ponies as well as Corona ...the green and clear won't be a problem as long as you leave keep the beer out of the sunlight.

They would work good as taste testers .....

I was using 8oz coke bottles for that, but then decided that they would be better served by putting cider in them. I get the bottles free, but I think they get them at SAM's Club. As long as you treat them like vampires you like, they work fine.

FedoraDave wrote:

That's a regional thing, too, packerduf. Here in New York State, liquor stores don't carry beer, just hard liquor and mixers such as tonic water. Of course, you can buy beer just about everywhere else, so it's not much of an issue, but you won't find 7-Eleven bothering to stock the stuff that comes in small bottles. And forget about the independent convenience stores. You're lucky to find anything other than BMC in those places.

It is very interesting how beer sales differ from state to state. Here in Oklahoma, the only place you can buy beer in excess of 3.2% is a liquor store. They can not sell COLD beer. Nor are they allowed to sell soda/pop. So if you buy yourself some Jack Daniels, for example, you will need to go somewhere else to buy your mix.

yankeedag wrote:

Pack, pop on down to Texas... and surprise yourself...in a local store.

I know a few people around here that do just that. I may take your advice tomorrow. The closest LHBS, for me, is Wichita Falls, TX. And it just so happens that I need a few brewing items......and it just so happens that I'm not working tomorrow.....and it just so happens that I'm out of beer. Yep, think I will dag! ;)

good luck with that. too bad Corpus Christi is a wee bit south of that, and I actually have to work 10 hours tomorrow. Other wise, we'd have to sacrifice a few just because we can.

yankeedag wrote:

good luck with that. too bad Corpus Christi is a wee bit south of that, and I actually have to work 10 hours tomorrow. Other wise, we'd have to sacrifice a few just because we can.

Maybe some day we'll do just that.

yankeedag wrote:

Pack, pop on down to Texas... and surprise yourself...in a local store.

We've got similar rules in Utah. So people sometimes go across the border to Wyoming to buy beer. For a while the UHP was putting unmarked cars in liquor store parking lots, taking down license plates and pulling them over as soon as they came across the state line.

Texans can be fickle critters. I live in Lubbock and until this past year you had to drive outside the city limits to get anything except in a bar. Plus, you still see liquor stores at county lines all across the state. Some counties are still dry.

Also, I stopped in at a Winn Dixie in Mississippi on Friday and found out they cannot sell beer over 5%. Not much reason to stop there again.

Rolling Rock, brewery in western Pa. used to bottle in small bottles.
(Pony Bottles) I believe they contained about 8oz. I dont know if they still use these still small bottles for their product. Thanks for your attention. TonyK