Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gophers6

cooking thermometer question

Someone who knows more than I do about cooking can probably answer this. If you have a thermometer with a 13 inch long probe on it and you only submerge 2 inches of it in water is it accurate? In other words does it measure the temp at the end of the probe, or is it averaging the temp along the whole length of it? I'm looking for a better therm. for steeping and all I've found so far is one with a long probe. Thanks

It is still accurate. There is a little wire you can probably hear if you wiggle it. That little wire goes all the way down into the very tip it's not actually connected to the tip but that's beside the point it is way down in the tip and that is where the measurment comes from. To prove this hold the shaft between your hands and it won't move. Now hold the tip between your warm hands and the temp will start to rise.

That sounded sick as hell. You do know I was talking about the thermometer right? LOL

Funny stuff, Mutsy.

Seriously, though, gophers, he's right. I bought a remote thermometer for brewing. It has a long probe, attached to a wire which plugs into the digital readout. You can then put the probe into a roast beef, for instance, and leave the readout on the counter by the oven, and you know the internal temperature of the meat without having to open the oven door.

This makes it easy to sanitize the thermometer; I just have to toss the probe into the keg or priming bucket as I'm sanitizing that, and can use the long wire to fish it out when it's ready.

Long story short, I've found it to be a handy and accurate tool while I'm brewing and bottling. You should be good to go.

Mutsy wrote:

That sounded sick as hell. You do know I was talking about the thermometer right? LOL

I thought to myself as i was reading your post that this could easily take a turn for the worse. :laugh:

Ha ha yeah I was typing and I was thinking I'm not trying to be sick but holy cow this could definitely come back on me.

I also use mine to monitor temps inside a cooler.

try taping it to the keg get the ferment temp instead

Kegincooler005.jpg' alt='>'>haerbob3 wrote:

I also use mine to monitor temps inside a cooler.

try taping it to the keg get the ferment temp instead

I am using Screwy Brewer's brillant idea of putting a dial thermometer in the lid to directly monitor wort temp. I am using the probe to monitor air temp.