Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BrewHaHa78

Prince Ludwig Lager

Ok. This will be my 5th brew. I haven't strayed from recipes much due to just trying to get my feet wet. I want to experiment with this recipe a little bit. If it comes out bad, i'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Here is what the recipe calls for...

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Octoberfest Vienna Lager HME
1 Can Whispering Wheat Weizenbier HME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1 Packet Saaz Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

Now here are my questions.

I want to add half cup brown sugar and a little nutmeg (unsure of proper measurement for nutmeg just yet) and 1/4 cup of honey. Should i add this before boil or after with the 2 cans of HME?

As for the hops, they say to add after boil. But i've read a lot about boiling the hops. Should i follow the directions or should i boil?

Thanks in advance

BrewHaHa78 wrote:

Ok. This will be my 5th brew. I haven't strayed from recipes much due to just trying to get my feet wet. I want to experiment with this recipe a little bit. If it comes out bad, i'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Here is what the recipe calls for...

RECIPE INCLUDES:
1 Can Octoberfest Vienna Lager HME
1 Can Whispering Wheat Weizenbier HME
2 Packets Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of HMEs)
1 Packet Saaz Pellet Hops
1 Muslin Hop Sack
1 Packet One-Step™ Sanitizing Cleanser

Now here are my questions.

I want to add half cup brown sugar and a little nutmeg (unsure of proper measurement for nutmeg just yet) and 1/4 cup of honey. Should i add this before boil or after with the 2 cans of HME?

As for the hops, they say to add after boil. But i've read a lot about boiling the hops. Should i follow the directions or should i boil?

Thanks in advance

Greetings BrewHaHa(like the name)

You would want to add the honey and brown sugar during the boil so they can dissolve.

Boiling the hops is up to you really. Boiling them will change the profile of the beer(but I guess you're already doing that anyway). Pretty much depends on how much you like hops. Although, a short boil, 10-20 minutes would not change the IBU's a whole lot I don't think. If you decide to just drop them in the wort, make sure you sanitize the hop sack if you use one!!

As far as the nutmeg, I really can't say as I've never used it before other than a pre-measured spice packs. Do know however that a little can go a long way and too little is better than too much.

Hope that helps. Good luck, brew on

great. Thanks for the help. I'll be calling this brew "Von Wolfhausen" in on honor of the movie Beerfest. I'll keep you posted on how it comes out.

I made the Prince Ludwig this spring. Made it straight from the MB recipe and loved it. My notes on tasting this brew are skimpy but I remember it being a good malty brew. What you are considering sounds nifty. Good luck.
Z

I made that once, following the Mr Beer recipe and it was one of the best Mr Beer recipes that I have made.

I just made this batch myself and did my own tweak....at the end of making the wort I added a pinch of ground cloves, pinch of white pepper, pinch of nutmeg, and 3 pinches of cinnamon

I also added a bit more hops to the hop sack... It's got a malty feel, but tastes balanced, maybe a TAD on the hoppy side which i love. I am a little mad I forgot to do brown sugar though.

It's blend of octoberfest spices and general Belgian spices

Incredible is all I can say

I made this strait up as per Mr Beer and it was excellent. I did however do a recipe with the can of Octoberfest and did a hop boil with 1.5# wheat dme and .5oz saaz hops for 35 minutes and got similar results. I added Octoberfest after the hop boil. Very nice recipe.

I did this brew and I'm drinking it now. I added 3/4 lb of pils DME and a 1/2 oz Tettnager hops 7 min boil. This is an outstanding beer.

The Prince & I are good friends...one of Mr Beer's better recipes...I have done it twice now and will try to keep it in pipeline as long as I have the ingredients to do so. Just finished my last bottle of OVL from earlier this Summer and it was decent, lost some card tho but I understand that with the PET bottles. New cap was on it and when I squeezed it prior to opening I noticed a slight give to the bottle. Another good beer though from Old Mr Beer.

"T8r Salad" post=297661 said:

The Prince & I are good friends...one of Mr Beer's better recipes...I have done it twice now and will try to keep it in pipeline as long as I have the ingredients to do so. Just finished my last bottle of OVL from earlier this Summer and it was decent, lost some card tho but I understand that with the PET bottles. New cap was on it and when I squeezed it prior to opening I noticed a slight give to the bottle. Another good beer though from Old Mr Beer.

Hear ya there t8r, I have the makings of three more of these brews.

Here's another vote for this recipe. If you stocked up on those refills be sure to make this one!

I used tettnanger instead of saaz because that's what I had on hand... boiled a quarter oz in a small amount of light dme for 7 minutes then dryhopped some more after 7 days fermenting and let ferment anther 7-14 days. I used safale 05 yeast and fermented at 62°

This was very good early like 2-4 weeks in the bottle, very smooth brew and nicely hopped but pretty balanced with malt. It got even better over time amazing up to around two months. Then it declined a bit as the hop aroma disappeared. Great overall beer.

I also brewed this one straight up. It's been conditioning for two months just because I couldn't find the occasion to drink it. Tried it the other day and it was fantastic.

Perhaps you might consider brewing the Prinz Ludwig Lager with light brown sugar first. If you find that you absolutely must have more of that brown sugar taste, then you might want to consider adding dark brown sugar the next time you brew this (more molasses used in the DBS). As far as the Saaz hops go, when I make PLL, I try not to use more than 1/4 oz.

Has anyone figured out how to make this now that the old MB recipes have been replaced? I haven't made many recipes but this one was a hit not only with myself, but my family as well. Would really like to figure out how to replicate the recipe.

Guest System Admin

It's in the archive here, but have to have the old ingredients. Not sure about using the new stuff to try and replicate. I'm sure it will be close, but not the same. You still might be able to find the old HME/LME's out there for sale.

Guest System Admin

I would think that the New Bavarian Weissbier and Oktoberfest Lager would be close, but would miss the Vienna Malt side of it. Also would be a little higher ABV.

I would not use BOTH yeast packets like before since the Weissbeir uses Wheat yeast. (I would save that yeast for another brew)

After 3 months conditioning I finally had a chance to try a few of these. I was quite disappointed in the lack of head and lacing. The taste however was very flavorful with some fruity overtones. I batch primed this with 1.73 ounces of sugar back in early october. Im not sure why I used so little sugar since most of my batch primes arecloser to 2 ounces of sugar. While it looks like a flat beer, its defenitely carbed so I can take comfort that its an otherwise tastey beer.