Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
the sloth

my 2nd batch begins tonight

Good evening all,

Kids are about asleep and its just about time to put on some quality tunes and begin my 2nd batch o’ brew, the dubbel trouble. Will be using an extra can of UME and am looking forward to the results.

My fermenting location is logging in at 67.5 degrees, which falls just below the MB recommended range. Will this pose any problems? Any other tips, advice, etc, for this flavor are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

I do not use the yeast under the lid, what I use is US-5, which is 59 to 75, or liquid yeast, which is 60 to 72.

I think it is worth a try, if nothing happens after a day or so, find a way to warm the area up a few degrees.

I think 67.5 is worth experimenting.

Ray

even at 67 the MB yeast will work, been there and done that. Just be sure to let it work for 18 to 21 days because the process will be slowed. the main thing is to keep the temp consistent, up and down is not good, below 63 or 64 really slows the MB yeast and above 75 is not good either.

Most of the times I used Mr Beer yeast the temp was 66 and it worked a little slow but just fine.

thanks all. found a warmer spot which was great but realized i just mixed my recipes. major fail. any guesses on what 2 creamy brown UMEs and 1 nut brown HME will get me? cant be that bad right?

You'll be a little low on hops as yankeedag said but you'll have a nice malty beer. If you like browns and don't mind it being on the malty side you're going to be just fine.

Plan on some extra conditioning time for this brew.

i do like malty beers so this doesnt sound all bad. The 2 UME's I got right- I just switched the HMEs (Englishman Nut-Brown instead of High Country Canadian Draft)

any advice on possibly adding molasses, honey or something different as a primer to impact flavor or am i best to stick with sugar or dextrose?

Just stick with sugar. If you like them malty I'm sure you'll like it. Like they said extra conditioning time cause that is going to be a big beer. Couple of those and you'll feel all warm and tingly.

I haven't used the Mr Beer yeast for a while, but decided to use it for the "mystery powder" batch. to make it closer to other batches, I used 3 packets of the yeast. It has been in the low 6s (fermenter temperature, not ambient) and fermenting away. I think the Mr Beer yeast tolerates temperatures much lower than what the book says.

bpgreen wrote:

I haven't used the Mr Beer yeast for a while, but decided to use it for the "mystery powder" batch. to make it closer to other batches, I used 3 packets of the yeast. It has been in the low 6s (fermenter temperature, not ambient) and fermenting away. I think the Mr Beer yeast tolerates temperatures much lower than what the book says.

I used two, but other than that, exact same thing here. It made me say wow, that MB yeast is pretty darn good too. I might just use that a little more often.

I'm using two MB packets in my Maple Wheat, and there is a party going on in there let me tell you. I did boil some expired US-05 as nutrient though, so that might have affected it.

The sloth... with that amount, and for the englishman nut brown, you could easily get away with a cup of golden brown sugar in that mix...

yankee i assume its too late to add the sugar? Just checked and it's fermenting away in the basement.

what would the brown sugar do besides boost abv?

you might as well wait til the next time. To many problems with tossing it in now. Just set aside a bottle of this, and compare it to one with the brown sugar.

With my recipe mix up I had to figure out what to do with the leftovers. Turns out I had the ingredients to make the firecracker red ale. Probably wouldn’t have tried this one in the short term but I’m glad I had the ingredients for a listed MB recipe. The brew went smooth and I added an extra cup ‘o sugar per a review suggestion. I realize this likely bumps it over the recommended MB adjunct levels, but I wanted to experiment anyway.

Checked my fermenter today and the krausen was raging! A moderate amount of leakage was evident. I slightly unscrewed the cap a little bit more and even more cinnamon laced foam came rushing out. I was careful not to mess with it too much but was afraid of a possible explosion if I didn’t relieve some pressure. It seems to be stabilizing now. It’s really amazing to see all the activity in that batch. Looks like a real party in there.

Anyway, I’m really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I will post updates in addition to my extra malty mystery brew. Thanks all for your help- this place is a great resource for tips and info.