Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
cjbeer

Mr Beer Yeast

Does anyone Know what type or brand Mr Beer ale yeast found under the lid of the can is equilent to ?

I dont know the answer but would like to pose a related yeast question if you dont mind the hijack:

is it a good idea to rehydrate my MB yeast packets before pitching? MB instructions dont mention it but Ive seen it suggested in other forums

Not necessary, I just pitched some in a batch myself, threw it in dry. I have had no problems with just throwing it in.

FrozenInTime wrote:

Not necessary, I just pitched some in a batch myself, threw it in dry. I have had no problems with just throwing it in.

thats what ive been doing too. i was just wondering what the vets experiences were with this approach. i take it rehydrating is really only necessary when using non-MB dry yeasts.

now somebody answer op's question before he gets mad at me ;)

cjbeer wrote:

Does anyone Know what type or brand Mr Beer ale yeast found under the lid of the can is equilent to ?

I wish they would label it, I'd like to know what I'm pitching too, maybe if I did, I would use it more.

cjbeer wrote:

Yes.

Somebody knows.

There have been hints here and if you forget the temperature range and consider the qualities of the yeast, you can probably come up with a pretty good guess.

Im guessing if you call and ask they would have to tell you? I beleive the consumer has the right to know what they are putting in their bodies? I read that even companies with "secret" recipes have to tell you the ingriedients just not the amounts. SO someone call and ask :)

Rehydrating helps kick fermentation off faster, thus decreasing the time it takes to reach your mouth.