Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
myndflyte

Brew too cold?

So I just started my first batch today and I have a question/concern on how I brewed it all. So all the water (aside from the water with the booster and HME) was cold in the fridge, mainly because I just wanted to be sure to cool it down enough from the boil. But now with the yeast in and everything, the keg is still below 64F. Was it bad for me to use such cold water or will the yeast be fine once the keg warms back up?

Give it a few hours. Cold only matters when you dip reall really low, below freezing. Your boys will just take a little longer to wake up and start working. If you don't have activity in 36-48 hours than I would start worrying.

RDWHAHB

I know the Mr Beer book says that the yeast won't ferment below 65, but I've brewed in the upper 50s to low 60s with Mr Beer yeast and it does fine. It may take a little longer, but that's somewhat offset by the fermentation being "cleaner" than what you'd get above 65F.

:drinking: welcome and relax i have brewed with MRB yeast down at 62 and had some fine brew :cheers: just takes a little longer patienceand all will be well :chug:

You'll be fine. As a rule of thumb, anything between 60 and 70 degrees will ferment quite nicely.

There's fine-tuning you can do with the temperature, depending on different yeast strains, but that's a concern for the future. For this stage in your brewing experience, with Mr. Beer yeast, your situation is both Okie and Dokey.

It's actually better to ferment your beers on the lower side of the yeast's optimal temperature range at the start. Initially the yeast will consume a lot of fermentables, using some of it to produce energy for itself, alcohol and co2. When the temperatures are on the warmer side of the optimal range the yeast will also produce a lot of Diacetyl which in very tiny amounts cause beer to take on buttery, butterscotch or microwave popcorn off flavors.

Click for more...Yeast In Your Beer

Excellent article Screwy. Keep up the good work, and thanks for imparting your knowledge. I find it extremely helpful.

A little too cool is better than a little too hot. I tend to start mine cool 64 to 66 and let it move up to 70 over 3 or 4 days. Seems to work well for me.

Yeah it's rocking at about 70F and got some kausen forming already. I was just a little nervous about my 1st batch but I'm feeling good about it now.